Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Spike Lee Talks "Django Unchained"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 51>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:52pm
All this criticism of Spike Lee is getting on my nerves. People forget what a briliant, trailblazing filmmaker he was/still is and are all too content to paint him as a has-been when the actual reason he's not making movies these days is that he is not getting the funding he needs because he bothers the establishment. I personally don't like Tarantino's style, too much slapstick and gore for me but I understand how his style could be attractive to this generation. But Spike Lee was/is a brilliant filmmaker and that cannot be denied

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Dec 25 2012 at 10:53pm
Sponsored Links

foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:54pm
So there is a dog that is hurt in this and the premise is about slavery...I want to see this movie but I don't know if my heart can handle it!!!!Cry
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:57pm
8/10 imo

no there's not an injured dog in the movieLOL 
there are dogs attacking a runaway slave who didn't want to fight in the mandingo fights anymore

Edited by noneyons - Dec 25 2012 at 10:58pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:57pm
I'll wait for the DVD. Knowing Tarantino's slapstick gore style, I don't think I can take watching a movie about slavery in that light, revenge subplot or not. Tarantino is a B-list director to me. What people like in his movies is the stylistic, mindless violence. I don't like the context of a movie about slavery being made into a Sergio Leone spaghetti western flick. It just doesn't sit well with me. And I think he's stone cold crazy too
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 10:59pm
i hated the gore. covered my eyes during most of those scenes.
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 11:02pm
Mandingo?
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2012 at 11:08pm
jolie, i don't know who you're referring to because i didn't read any criticism of spike... at least in the last few pages of this thread. i just don't agree with his opinion about this movie. 

@Jess, the mandingos are the big, burly black men who are forced to fight to the death for the entertainment of the slavemasters. sickening beyond belief. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 12:01am

Okay, I’m back

Here are my thoughts…

If I was a huge Quentin Tarintino fan and if I wasn’t educated, a conscious thinker and Black (or White), I probably would have loved this film… probably would have even called it a “masterpiece”

The gun slinging, horse-ridding, cracka killing, slave revenge fantasy was in full effect! Equipped with your typical Tarintino style Western backdrop juxtaposed to slave-era take on a blackploitation plot.

The acting was quality and so was the plot but I most definitely have gripes with a few things…

One being… it’s yet another White Hero movie. Ugh!!!

White Americans cannot, for the life of themselves, create a freaking movie on the evils of  slavery, Jim Crow, the Civil Rights movement without freaking sticking a damn White Hero in as the main damn character. Make no mistake, he was the MAIN CHARACTER! Jamie Foxx serves only as the secondary main character (if there is such thing, I think QT might have created this new role with this movie)

Two… why are all the most likeable characters (as in funny/well-acted/most interesting) white????  Sigh.

From the bounty hunter, plantation owners, and plantation owner’s wife to the damn KKK (it’s hard to hate a character/villain that you laugh at, right?)

Jamie Foxx had the most redeemable Black character. Every other Black character was humiliating with no agency/purpose/dept to justify the rancid humiliation. All of them seemed soulless, submissive, down-right undignified individuals who had little to no emotions (easier to hate in comparison to the grotesquely goofy and ungroomed White idiots). One could make the argument that that’s how Blacks seemed back in those days and my point is that that’s why this movie was typical. Show me a movie on slavery that humanizes these dehumanized souls in the way they deserved. I’d take that any day over a White hero that gives a Black man a gun to kill other Whities.

Why was the worst villain of all, in this movie, Samuel L Jackson’s Uncle Ruckus-in-flesh, minstrel show character? Why was his character so extra???? I mean, it was too much. Just way too cartoonish, felt fake. I feel like he had more lines than Django himself

Even worst, the most obvious underlying tone of this movie (which I predicted) was the “why didn’t them slaves just up and kill YT? Cuz they stoopid submissive Brothas! That’s why!” message.  

It’s as if Quentin was saying with this film “Well, if I was a slave I would have done THIS” which is such a pompous and arrogant way to approach this complicated history

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 12:04am
Can't wait to see it Thursday
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 12:08am

Why were there so many Black clowns in my audience, laughing at everythingggggg?

This made me so uncomfortable! The fact that people felt so free to laugh all this blood, gore and horror! How will the American audience ever approach this subject again with the same sensitivity, discretion and respect that it deserves now that this barrier has been broken? 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 51>