Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Spike Lee Talks "Django Unchained"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 51>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:03pm
I said humor, not "comedy"  Sleepy
Sponsored Links

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Ion understand.....is it cause it has a 70's soundtrack? is that why folks are talmbout disrespect?  i'm sorry...I'm tired of watching Roots like movies where we are always just takin' sh*t and takin' sh*t and loosing.  Let me have this.  Spike mad cause he ain't do it first?  I mean...somebody please explain the disrespect....is it cause a white man made it?  I mean....what?

I mean....I hate to bring up Basterds again but....I ain't hear nuffin' from the Jewish community on that.  All I heard from errybody that it saw was..."yeah...beat that Nazi...bash his fuccin' head in" which the Bear Jew proceeded to do.

hollywood will not put money behind a serious slave revolt movie. it won't happen. i would love for spike to make a movie centered around nat turner or another black uprising during that time but unfortunately, the jews and crackas with that bankroll these films will not co-sign it.

basterds is diff because they're weren't going in concentration camps in that movie and the focus was mainly on hitler and his red army. plus tarantino killed the jews biggest enemy in that movie.

also tarantino finds anyway he can to throw the N word in all his movies or make the black man look weak(the scene in pulp fiction with the gimp suit dude)

So... then...we're mad cause it's not a full slave revolt movie?  If Tarantino did do such a movie folks would still be mad.  After all...he's white.  He can't possibly tell the story right. If Spike did it....very few would support it.  Alot of folks are still mad about "X". If spike did the kind of slave movie you're talmbout most would wait for The Torrent and still complain.

*shrugs*  I know the kinds of movie's Tarantino does.  I was not and would not be expecting an "Lincoln" from him.

If Spike want to do a true "Nat Turner" or summin' then he needs to appeal to the black elite who have the money to back this kind of project.  He need not get mad at Quentin because Jewish money supports a Jew revenge flick.  Want a black movie done the black way then get black funds.  Why we gotta beg for Jew money?

i'd rather they be mad over a serious film that ruffled feathers rather than a slave/western/revenge/comedy/thriller film.

when the black elite own a major hollywood studio i'm sure that can be accomplished. until then, spike has to work with the limited resources like he has his entire career and films that accurately portray the issues we face as a race. spike probably feels like all the films he makes are overlooked for films like django or other tarantino films that we flock to that have the N word slung around like crazy.

Tyler got a studio right?....oh wait...she shat on Tyler.

Why can't he get independant black backers?  I guess black folks with money know that chances are high that most black folks will not pay money to see it so they'll not get a return on that investment.

If Spike gotta work with limited resources then let him work with limited resources.  If he ain't got a mouth piece that can get him support then....*shrugs* Is spike even tryna do some sort of slave revolt film?
James Avery View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:05pm
i don't know what spike has in the works. i know whatever he's cooking up will go over a lot of peoples heads like the majority of his films do. 
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:05pm

i'd rather they be mad over a serious film that ruffled feathers rather than a slave/western/revenge/comedy/thriller film. 

when the black elite own a major hollywood studio i'm sure that can be accomplished. until then, spike has to work with the limited resources like he has his entire career and films that accurately portray the issues we face as a race. spike probably feels like all the films he makes are overlooked for films like django or other tarantino films that we flock to that have the N word slung around like crazy.

now this is getting a bit ridiculous....how can he feel that all the films he makes are overlooked for django...they aren't even the same thing

django could never hold a candle to the brilliance that was malcolm x, or roots, or any other serious slavery film... if that's how spike feels his issues sounds more internal than anything else

django is not going to be seen as the "slavery" go to movie for the next 20 years....again, i feel ppl are being a bit dramatic

even as great as inglorious basterds was, u think ppl are putting that over schindler's list?

they are different types of films, let them be different

Edited by mrshairdo - Dec 24 2012 at 8:06pm
Soratachi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Soratachi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

i remember watching some slavery movie once (forget what it's called) and there were actual diary clips and letters from slave owners and doctors back in the day

one of the doctors was saying how the indian man could never be a slave because once captured he wouldn't move, eat, talk, fucc, shiit, NOTHING....and that's what made them "unslaveable" but when black ppl were brought up they continued with everything and that's what made it easier...even down to fuccin which is why they started breeding off the women...

that shiit hurt my soul, i was like dayummm

Horrible. Cry

But can we really say the Indians and the Black are from the same situation?? I would like to point that one is his native land and the other is miles away from his land, nothing to return to.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:06pm

i don't know what spike has in the works. i know whatever he's cooking up will go over a lot of peoples heads like the majority of his films do. 

that's not anybody else's problem tho
take it up with the blacks who aren't checking for your films
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:07pm
Tbh ijs imho I don't think there would be as much controversy surrounding this movie *if* there were more movies that looked at slavery seriously.

I have a feeling this movie will end up being representative of slavery in cinema for many people.

James Avery View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote James Avery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:08pm
i don't know why spike feels the way he does. i'm only speculating tbh. also i'm reading some twitter reviews from white folks and so far they all have "comedy" and "humorous" in them. haven't read anything about them learning about the plight of negroes during slavery just yet.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

no one is saying to you--dont go see the movie Hairdo.

but do you really not understand why someone-- specifically a black person-- would find such a movie disrespectful?

lol i know no one is saying dont go see it, that would be funny

but i do not understand why ppl are up in arms about it
ETA: i think the arguments against it are weak

Edited by mrshairdo - Dec 24 2012 at 8:10pm
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2012 at 8:09pm
the only thing I can see is that Spike is scared that alot of white folks are gonna see this and somehow think that slavery was not that bad.  But white folks already think that so....iono.   I think I said this in another Django thread.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 51>
  Share Topic