BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Sperm Donor must pay child support .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sperm Donor must pay child support .
    Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:29pm

Kansas court says sperm donor must pay child support

By Chandrika Narayan, CNN
updated 8:37 PM EST, Thu January 23, 2014

Court: Sperm donor to pay child support

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • William Marotta answered a Craigslist ad from a lesbian couple seeking donated sperm
  • The couple say they performed artificial insemination at home, court documents show
  • Marotta says he signed an agreement to waive his parental rights
  • But a Kansas agency says the agreement isn't valid because a doctor wasn't involved

(CNN) -- A Kansas sperm donor caught in the middle of a child support case says he wanted to help a lesbian couple when he made the donation nearly five years ago.

Instead, he may end up paying for his action.

A judge ruled Thursday that William Marotta must pay child support, even though he says he signed documents waiving his parental rights.

Shawnee County District Court Judge Mary Mattivi said Marotta failed to conform to Kansas law, which says a licensed physician must be involved in an artificial insemination process, court documents show.

Sperm donor liable for child support

The documents show that the lesbian couple whom Marotta helped conceive a child say they performed the artificial insemination procedure at home.

'I donated genetic material, and that was it'

This story begins on Craigslist in March 2009. That was when Marotta noticed an advertisement from the Topeka couple, seeking donated sperm.

"Intrigued" by the ad, he says, he delivered three cupfuls of his sperm -- gratis -- to the women.

One of the women gave birth to a daughter in December 2009, according to court documents.

"I donated genetic material, and that was it for me," he told CNN affiliate WIBW.

Or so he thought. That changed when the parents separated and one of the women stopped working because of illness and applied to the state for help, he said. The state contacted Marotta for child support.

Kansas officials were not persuaded by what Marotta says were agreements he signed, before making his donations, that he would assume no financial responsibility for the child, who is now 4 years old.

The Kansas Department for Children and Families said any agreement would not apply because a physician did not perform the insemination.

Marotta said that was news to him.

"I didn't know that there was no doctor involved," he said.

Lawyer blames political motivations

His lawyer, Ben Swinnen, accused the state, where same-sex marriage is not legal, of being politically motivated in its pursuit of his client.

"The cost to the state to bring this case far outweighs any benefit the state would get," said Swinnen, adding his client has no other children.

Swinnen said the state is asking for $4,000 to recoup the money it has spent. It is also asking Marotta to pay child support, which could run into tens of thousands of dollars, he said.

Swinnen said the Kansas court has failed to address many of the challenges brought forward by Marotta, under the guise of statutory interpretation of the law requiring the donor sperm to be provided to a licensed physician.

"From a very narrowly crafted statute, the court has made a very broad rule -- that is the issue," Swinnen said.

Swinnen said he planned to appeal the decision.

Marotta: "I'm not her parent"

Marotta said he met the child once -- a few months ago -- when he and his wife by chance crossed paths with one of the girl's parents at an area carnival.

He said he had no intention of assuming a paternal role. "I'm not her parent," he said.

But under Kansas law, he is her father. Had a physician carried out the insemination, that would not be the case, because Marotta would be able to document that he was a sperm donor and not the lover of the girl's mother, CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen said.

"For all they know, they were lovers," she said. "They need that documentation. He's the dad; he ought to be paying up."

Though a physician would have tested the sperm for sexually transmitted diseases and certain genetic disorders, there are disincentives associated with going through a physician.

A single attempt at artificial insemination costs about $3,000, and sometimes several tries are needed. "It's a lot cheaper to get someone to come on over with their donation, and then do it yourself at home," Cohen said.

Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:29pm
  • The couple say they performed artificial insemination at home, court documents showStern Smile
    newdiva1 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:42pm
    Welp.  That's what happens when u help people. *shrugs*  If u can't afford the artificial insemination then u need not be having children.  It's fucced up to say but...
    OrriannaRose View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:42pm
    Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Welp.  That's what happens when u help people. *shrugs*  If u can't afford the artificial insemination then u need not be having children.  It's fucced up to say but...

ClapClap Sad because he's stuck paying child support for the next 18 years.
    OrriannaRose View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote OrriannaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:44pm
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    • William Marotta answered a Craigslist ad from a lesbian couple seeking donated sperm
    • The couple say they performed artificial insemination at home, court documents show
    • Marotta says he signed an agreement to waive his parental rights
    • But a Kansas agency says the agreement isn't valid because a doctor wasn't involved
    He couldn't have found a notary or something? 
    liesnalibis View Drop Down
    VIP Member
    VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:47pm
    He's a piece of shyt imo and so is anyone else who donates gametes.
    bindy View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:48pm
    Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

cosign x 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999
    india100 View Drop Down
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:51pm
    I thought about how Turkey basters are sold with only a price tag . I willl never purchase another one without a plastic cover . I would never agree to my husband donating his sperm. SMH

Edited by india100 - Jan 23 2014 at 10:53pm
    Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:53pm
    they done messed it up for all poor lesbians...
    mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 11:06pm
    But we all for these extra furtile broke people having them......I thought you had the right to wave your parental rights if you want tho.....isnt that what he did....wave his rights from jump? 
    Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
    House of CB London
    Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
    The Elite Hair Care Sorority
    Electric Cherry Hair
    Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
    Human Hair Wigs
    Wefting Training
    Dependable Quality Hair
    Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
      Share Topic