Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Soul Food Junkies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Afrocentchic Afrocentchic wrote:

Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

From what I've seen in this thread, only Prazol has admitted to eating soul food on the regular, most only reserve it for special occasions. So if BHM is a microcosm of the black community, and by extension a representative sample, then why are black people still dying of heart disease, cancer, etc at alarming rates that are directly a result of high fat/salt diets if we are only eating this stuff like twice a year? I'm just curious.
Food deserts in areas where we live are prominent. If one lives in an area where healthy foods are avalible, one will find that they are often more expensive than unhealty foods.  Racial descrimination within healthcare is persistant. Minorities are also uncomforable going to the doctors for fear of neglect or doctors with holding information or relaying damning advice. Then there is the billing.  Afforable health care is problematic.  etc.

Soul food is not what is killing us, it is the racist/classist society that we live in.

I agree with the first bolded section, US has had a terrible history with unethical practices towards AAs. But now, what can we do to change our views towards healthcare and science and narrow that disparity? NIH is not funding most health studies unless the researchers include at least a 30% minority population, it might be too early but i still dont see a shift attitude.

For the italicized, i dont think we can dismiss the effect soul food has on our health. We might be genetically predisposed to process certain foods differently and the burden that high fat/salt has on us is different than other races.
Sponsored Links

*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:01pm
do we ever talk about what white folks eat? they sho love eating red meat and bacon. anybody ever question them folk?
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Over_all Over_all wrote:

Healthy foods are definitely expensive (the organic, less chemicals, etc) but at the same time, i find eating fast food much more expensive than cooking. A $10 McDonalds combo can buy some decent healthier groceries.
And truthfully you don't have to start at the end of organic foods you could easily start at normal veggies (frozen) I was trying to get cut (6 pack) and all I really did was up my take in veggies and fruit.. Went from 210 to 170 in 2 months.. You start to feel healthier & have more energy

Shocked whoaa!!! congratulations! Clap Clap Clap
Over_all View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Over_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

do we ever talk about what white folks eat? they sho love eating red meat and bacon. anybody ever question them folk?
Lol I love bacon
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

they already have enough people to worry about what they eat LOL
Over_all View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Over_all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:05pm

Healthy foods are definitely expensive (the organic, less chemicals, etc) but at the same time, i find eating fast food much more expensive than cooking. A $10 McDonalds combo can buy some decent healthier groceries.
And truthfully you don't have to start at the end of organic foods you could easily start at normal veggies (frozen) I was trying to get cut (6 pack) and all I really did was up my take in veggies and fruit.. Went from 210 to 170 in 2 months.. You start to feel healthier & have more energy

Shocked whoaa!!! congratulations! Clap Clap Clap
Thanks it happened so fast people at the gym kept asking me what was i doing or what kind of diet I was on truthfully I don't diet and never count calories.. 
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:24pm

congrats to you! that's pretty amazing.

I agree that you don't have to start organic to eat more cleanly, but sometimes the produce in lower income areas are of poor quality.

I don't know if this is still true or not, but in Detroit, there are no big chain grocery stores such as Farmer Jack and Walmart (you have to go out of the city to go there). there may be smaller markets, though and farmer's markets, but those are only open certain months of the yr. It kind of sucks b/c MI has so many farms and not everyone has access to the produce that it produces. for some, it's easier to go down the street to Popeye's than out of the city to go to walmart. Somebody fee free to correct me if i'm wrong, I don't live in Detroit but I have family there and I can remember them talking about it a lot.

I used to work on a reservation and the produce that I saw in their grocery store (not a chain) was of horrible quality.

I think the documentary will focus some on food deserts. the whole topic of food deserts and why/where they occur is really interesting. 
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:32pm
The processed foods are the worst.

Frozen veggies are good because there is no added sodium. Beans and rice are healthy just cook them without all the extra fat.

You don't have to eat chicken breast, thighs are okay just baked them and take off the skin. You can eat healthy on a budget.
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Rummy, the death by state/region is not classified by race/age, just numbers: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0113.pdf

but yeah it would be interesting if we can correlate the race, age and region. i'd be interested in seeing what the break down is especially in the deep south. let me do some digging, see if can find anything.

thanks !!!!

So this link has the 2009 death rates by state between whites and black and others. From the table, in all Southern states the black rates are more than the white rates. The only states where the white rate was more than blacks were Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, Idaho, Rhode Island and Wyoming. Apparently there aint enough black people in Montana, North/South Dakota and Vermont to have any significant numbers as they don't count states that report less than 20 deaths.

Allure. View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allure. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2013 at 2:25am
I love me some soul food. Cornbread and greens with onions and hot sauce are my weaknesses.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic