Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

slavery and religion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: slavery and religion
    Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 10:26pm
I always wondered why when our ancestors were brought over here did they have their own religion and if so, why didn't they keep practicing it (secretly) ? I see these religion shows on tv and these black pastor's knowing the word inside and out and always wondered " what happened to OUR religion and not being fed the white man's religion?

I mean to have Christianity instilled in us so much we actually forgot our own beliefs from our motherland?..

probably gonna get blasted for what i said above but whom caresSleepy
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 10:45pm
Slaves were killed for practicing their own religion, speaking their own languages, or doing simple things like trying to cook or do their hair or birth babies the way they we're taught in their homeland.

trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 09 2014 at 11:37pm
Strikingly enough, any non-European race that embraced Christianity lost their land, freedom, religion, and history. 
No one wants to talk about this though.
I found it memorizing watching 12 Years a Slave while the slave master read to the slaves from the same bible that we preach from today. 
MsBella View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote MsBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 2:26am
I ask myself this every time someone black talks about God and the holy book. I believe we should have our own set of beliefs instead of following the ones that were forced upon us.  I honestly dont know why Africans and black people still practice Christianity. Is it just bc its a generational thing?

If the white man really thought something was so sacred such as Christ and the Bible...do we really think he would share it with someone he thought was less than human? There were absolutely no good intentions involved in sharing religion with slaves. But its clear not many people think about this type of stuff. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:05am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Slaves were killed for practicing their own religion, speaking their own languages, or doing simple things like trying to cook or do their hair or birth babies the way they we're taught in their homeland.

so wrong so sad and just well.........Thumbs Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:11am
Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

I ask myself this every time someone black talks about God and the holy book. I believe we should have our own set of beliefs instead of following the ones that were forced upon us.  I honestly dont know why Africans and black people still practice Christianity. Is it just bc its a generational thing?

If the white man really thought something was so sacred such as Christ and the Bible...do we really think he would share it with someone he thought was less than human? There were absolutely no good intentions involved in sharing religion with slaves. But its clear not many people think about this type of stuff. 

so true....so very true....so when did they take time out to preach THEIR GOOD WORD to us? i have always wondered about this...too bad this thread isn't getting more comments i would love to read more thoughts on this..
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:13am
Originally posted by trudawg trudawg wrote:

Strikingly enough, any non-European race that embraced Christianity lost their land, freedom, religion, and history. 
No one wants to talk about this though.
I found it memorizing watching 12 Years a Slave while the slave master read to the slaves from the same bible that we preach from today. 

see this^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:15am
How is it a "white man's religion" if most of the events in the Bible take place in the middle East and Africa? Confused

Christianity existed in a parts of Africa before Europeans even grouped themselves together

Slaves were not allowed to read b/c slave masters feared they'd read actual passages in the Bible (and not just fragmented bs that was fed to them) and start to see themselves as the White man's "neighbors" (it's my theory as to why Black pastors have a tradition of barely reading out of the Bible and just babbling on and on about 1 passage lol).

If anything, Christianity helped maintain their sanity or what was left of it... it gave them hope and faith in the face of unimaginable circumstances

Once you understand that religion was never the real reason why Africans were enslaved, just a convenient excuse, you can stop demonizing the belief system and simply demonize the perps
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 3:17am
White Americans have turned Christianity into a "White man's religion" and you guys have eaten that ish up... White Jesus and all

eta: Y'all also never talk about Islam in the same manner despite the fact that it was introduced to Africans through the Arab slave trade. Hmmm

Edited by Alias_Avi - Mar 10 2014 at 3:19am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 4:06am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

White Americans have turned Christianity into a "White man's religion" and you guys have eaten that ish up... White Jesus and all

eta: Y'all also never talk about Islam in the same manner despite the fact that it was introduced to Africans through the Arab slave trade. Hmmm

the former is incorrect
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>