BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Skinny people make overweight people unhappy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skinny people make overweight people unhappy
    Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:40pm

Skinny People Make Overweight People Unhappy, New Study Finds

89980234-two-overweight-women-walk-at-the-61st-montgomery-county Overweight people who live near other overweight people are happier than overweight people who live where obesity is rare.

Photo by Tim Sloan/AFP/Getty Images

If you are overweight, you are not necessarily destined to be sad, says a new study from the University of Colorado–Boulder. The paper comes out today in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior, and it tracks the three-way relationship between obesity, life satisfaction, and where you live. It finds, perhaps unsurprisingly, that obese men and women who live in U.S. counties with high levels of obesity are much happier than obese men and women who live in slenderer areas. Nor do people of “normal weight” enjoy much of an affective advantage in neighborhoods with more flesh per capita. “This illustrates the importance of looking like the people around you when it comes to satisfaction with life,” explains co-author Philip Pendergast. Truer words were never spoken, even by Leon Festinger, who first pioneered social comparison theory in 1954.

Researchers drew on a sample of 1.3 million adults across the country. The participants rated their happiness levels, which were then splayed across the obeso-meter by county. Might zaftig men and women in zaftig neighborhoods escape some of the stigma and unhappiness we assume comes with their body size? Might it be true that fatness is not an ineluctable prescription for suffering? Yep. “Where obesity is more common, there is less difference among obese, severely obese, and non-obese individuals’ life satisfaction,” the researchers write, “but where obesity is less common, the difference in life satisfaction between the obese (including the severely obese) and non-obese is greater. In that light, obesity in and of itself does not appear to be the main reason obese individuals tend to be less satisfied with their lives than their non-obese peers. Instead, it appears to be society’s response to or stigmatization of those that are different from what is seen as ‘normal’ that drives this relationship.”

To translate this finding into layperson-speak: The fat cells are not releasing George Saunders-esque depression chemicals into your bloodstream. If you are both heavyset and heavyhearted, it is more likely due to your neighbors being jerks (possibly because their blood sugar is low from living off celery like baleful rabbits). Or it is due to you comparing yourself to the Joneses and feeling inadequate. In fact, before controlling for location, severely obese men were 29 percent sadder than their normal weight counterparts, and severely obese women were 43 percent sadder. But when researchers moved from a county in the fifth percentile for obesity to one in the 95th percentile, that gap diminished by 79 percent for men and 60 percent for women.

Note the gender differential—women still pay a higher psychological price for extra poundage than men. “Think about the advertising we see on television or in magazines—we are bombarded by images of thin women, and we are told that is the ideal,” says Pendergast, by way of unnecessary explanation. But the blade cuts both ways: As obesity rates rise, the emotional cost of fatness shrinks, which could create an unhealthy cycle if it reduces motivation to treat your body well.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/05/29/obesity_does_not_equal_unhappiness_study_tracks_relationship_between_weight.html

Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:42pm
No they don't.....fat free and artificial sugar make fat people unhappy
blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:45pm
This could do numbers...

*clears throat*

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:47pm
this makes sense...that's why bigger black women seem way more happy and otherwise take great care of their looks...bc it's culturally acceptable
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:47pm
Damn, it should make them go to the gym. When I see the thick girls with small waists and big hips I be motivated. I feel like there are more over-weight people than anything, it's like the new norm.
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:48pm
I don't know about that but I've gotten some negativity from people about me working out and eating healthier. Some people try to convince me that I will just end up flabby and sick like them  

anyways this article is BS and sounds like a person who believes in thin privilege wrote it...obese men are less happier because they aint getting the drawls like a man in shape is..i agree with Wonderland about big black women being cool with it....they know brothas will still fucc with them and call them "thick"
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

And missing that red light at krispy kremes
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

And missing that red light at krispy kremes

and when Crawfish at Popeyes goes outta season
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:57pm
As someone who was overweight with NO self esteem issues....i can say this article is false.

As someone who is now normal weight....this quote does ring true: “This illustrates the importance of looking like the people around you when it comes to satisfaction with life,”

At work...i put myself together, EVERYDAY. I don't own a pair a jeans, I don't wear pants except for the gym. So in regards to bolded quote above...just like my office environment is to dress like slobs and they want me to conform....people who are overweight don't necessarily want to be around someone who is really into fitness. 

People who fall into category usually have very low self esteem. 
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2014 at 3:59pm
Lol....chile...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style