BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Skin Color and Kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:07am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

It's learned behavior and it stems from the family. (And how did White people get co-oped once again into this discussion about how Black people treat each other? )
No matter what the world says about how you look  .. your family is the biggest influencer in your upbringing and if they are 'color struck' .. you will be too. (Unless you get a hold of yourself but in the Black community .. once you are 'struck' ... you tend to stay struck in my experience.) Confused

Where did you read that? 
Sponsored Links

CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:09am
it's most definitely learned behaviour, children are like sponges, picking up on everything they see and hear--someone close to her is instilling hatred within her and that's just heartbreaking.

...growing up, I never had to deal with my folks behaving like that because skin complexion was literally a non-issue...nobody ever told me that my dark skin was bad or ugly or that being light was better, there were more important things to focus on.

Edited by CherryBlossom - Sep 25 2013 at 6:10am
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

It's learned behavior and it stems from the family. (And how did White people get co-oped once again into this discussion about how Black people treat each other? )
No matter what the world says about how you look  .. your family is the biggest influencer in your upbringing and if they are 'color struck' .. you will be too. (Unless you get a hold of yourself but in the Black community .. once you are 'struck' ... you tend to stay struck in my experience.) Confused

not sure if serious...

look at the communities where colourism takes place and then trace the roots of that prejudice and look at their history.

...in fact, how can whites not be co-oped into such a discussion is what you should be asking.

simply acknowledging historical fact isn't akin to shifting the blame and/or responsibility imo but on the other hand to omit the roots of that legacy (and be like "well what do whites have to do with anything?") is completely naive.

Edited by CherryBlossom - Sep 25 2013 at 6:30am
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:20am
There is a difference between a child who is curious and a child who learned to behave towards others. 

When you have two black children arguing over how "black" one of them is, that is definitely learned.  Just last week I had a little girl (first grader) ask me why I was black.  I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, so I pointed to her skin and asked, "Why are you tan?"  She had this confused look on her face.  So I said, "same reason."  She is Korean, by the way.  The week before a 5th grader wanted to try that with me, I could tell the difference, so I said, "Stop being so obnoxious."  LOL

By the way, Becky, are you upset that we are talking about your people, again?
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:41am
[QUOTE=TokyoRose]There is a difference between a child who is curious and a child who learned to behave towards others. 

When you have two black children arguing over how "black" one of them is, that is definitely learned.  Just last week I had a little girl (first grader) ask me why I was black.  I was so shocked I didn't know what to say, so I pointed to her skin and asked, "Why are you tan?"  She had this confused look on her face.  So I said, "same reason."  She is Korean, by the way.  The week before a 5th grader wanted to try that with me, I could tell the difference, so I said, "Stop being so obnoxious."  LOL

By the way, Becky, are you upset that we are talking about your people, again?[/QUOTE]
Chile..LOL
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 7:12am
Lol that's why I had no black friends prior to middle school. I did not tolerate any teasing because of my skin color. I got suspended I think in kindergarten or first grade because some black girl called me a burnt cookie and I took a pencil and jammed it into her hand Stern Smile Don't judge me.
whitrhymes View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitrhymes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 7:52am
I can remember kids acting like this when I was a child. I never partook in tha kind of behavior, even as a kid I felt like I knew it was ignorant. Maybe because in household there was such a diverse color range and my parents never talked about one skin tone as being letter than the other. My dad is pretty light with green eyes, my mom is much darker, a reddish brown color, my sister is darker than my mom but not so red, and I am lighter than my dad...
Ms_Kudos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms_Kudos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 8:42am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

I got suspended I think in kindergarten or first grade because some black girl called me a burnt cookie and I took a pencil and jammed it into her hand Stern Smile Don't judge me.

WOOOWWWW!!  

It's definitely learned, and it is hard to break.  I remember one of my 'closest' friends in hs always talking about how she wished she was lighter.  Right in my face, I'm like, "...but I get more dudes than you..."
Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:01am
Originally posted by whitrhymes whitrhymes wrote:

I can remember kids acting like this when I was a child. I never partook in tha kind of behavior, even as a kid I felt like I knew it was ignorant. Maybe because in household there was such a diverse color range and my parents never talked about one skin tone as being letter than the other. My dad is pretty light with green eyes, my mom is much darker, a reddish brown color, my sister is darker than my mom but not so red, and I am lighter than my dad...
Is that u in ur avi?  Very pretty
Senior Detective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Senior Detective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 9:09am
I don't think its always learned.  Children are still ppl & ppl form their own opinions of what they like from what they don't like.   The way that my father feels about colorism is not the way I feel about it.  The way he feels about religion. politics, feminism, rape culture, money, etc.. is not how I feel about it. 

I'm pretty sure there are many things that went on in ur homes that you don't practice or agree with.  Just because we learn it, doesn't mean we have to follow it
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic