BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Skin Color and Kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skin Color and Kids
    Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 10:56pm
So, today at work, I see 2 little black girls both in the first grade arguing. They are similar in skin color, one is brown and the other is a little bit darker. the brown skinned one told the other girl that they aren't friends because she doesn't like her and that the other girl had darker skin compared to her. the other girl is a new student, so what a bad way to welcome her. there aren't that many black kids at the school I work at by the way. Anyways, I got angry and pulled the brown skinned girl to the side. I told her that it doesn't matter what your skin color is, that everybody is different and that doesn't make anybody bad or better and that she was nearly the same color as the other girl. I told her that i never wanted to hear her say anything like she said again or I'd be taking to her mom. This same girl has a huge problem with listening by the way.

Does it start that early? I'm wondering if it came from her parents or tv or she was trying to fit in. That pissed me off, the other black girl gave me a hug before she got picked up and said bye.

as a kid, I don't think I treated kids with diff skin colors differently, but I knew maybe i would get treated differently because of being darker.
Sponsored Links

creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:00pm
Yes, ignorance can start real early. Babies don't know any better, they just imitate. I've seen what ur talking about too. Made me look at the world from a perspective I'd never considered.
ChubbyYeti View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChubbyYeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:01pm
I don't know where kids learn it. My mom grew up in Mobile, Alabama in the 50s/60s and black kids in elementary would tease her because of her dark skin. My cousin experienced the same thing from kids and family members (other cousins) in the 90s.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:09pm
Sometimes it's learned, sometimes it's natural

I was working daycare for a (multi-racial) church once and this lil  2 year old White boy asked me "Why does your skin look like that?" (referring to my skin color). I told him that that was my skin color and that some people have different skin tones

He said "Oh. I don't like it" and continued playing with me like nothing ever happened Stern Smile

Edited by Alias_Avi - Sep 24 2013 at 11:11pm
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:11pm
I pray I live to see the day blacks get it together...

that poor girl is probably teased at home, learned behavior
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:16pm
do y'all really believe kids can learn this on their own?

we aren't born knowing anything positively or negatively about race or what each skin tone represents in this society until someone teaches us

I thought kids mock what they see

Omgitsdannie101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omgitsdannie101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2013 at 11:36pm
I think it's usually learned. I work with really young kids (ages 2-5), I have to say its really heart warming to see that they play with everyone despite being different races.  
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 5:14am
It's learned behavior and it stems from the family. (And how did White people get co-oped once again into this discussion about how Black people treat each other? )
No matter what the world says about how you look  .. your family is the biggest influencer in your upbringing and if they are 'color struck' .. you will be too. (Unless you get a hold of yourself but in the Black community .. once you are 'struck' ... you tend to stay struck in my experience.) Confused

Edited by Printer_Ink - Sep 25 2013 at 5:17am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 5:31am
it's learned behavior taught to black children by the black adults in their lives.  black people try to play a game white played and lose everything because we don't know the rules change on a whim of whites and are never in our favor.  so we play "this preferential treatment to light skinned blacks" game not realizing whites only do it out of necessity to divide and conquer and not love.  but when black people do it its done out of love.  a love for anything that doesn't remind them of their own self  passed on from generation after generation.  ive seen black parents trip over their only brown skin and brown eyed children to fawn over a child light skinned, with green eyes or long hair. how would a small child interpret that behavior from a parent who scowls,punishes or beats them for any perceived wrong behavior and yet suddenly turns loving and gentile for a child they do not know based on so little? we are all responsible.
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2013 at 6:00am
Probably her mother or grandmother.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>