Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>

Author
texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:11pm
My single mother...went back to school got a degree, worked full time and still had time to decorate the whole kitchen with learning/teaching posters to drill us while she cooked dinner.
Teaching really does start at home. Kids are always learning and picking up on everything we do.
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

My single mother...went back to school got a degree, worked full time and still had time to decorate the whole kitchen with learning/teaching posters to drill us while she cooked dinner.

Teaching really does start at home. Kids are always learning and picking up on everything we do.

Aww that's a cool idea lol.
Kill two birds with one stone
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

when a white child is in 1st grade & a black child is in 1st grade, who is the smarter child?

The smarter child is the one that is smarter.
which is.........

I think you are missing my point

I am missing the point entirely
   my point is they are both at the starting point of their education.  Neither one has yet to "fall" behind due to familial, social, or economical factors which may play into their stagnation later in life

Actually, first grade they're already behind.

Studies show that preschool children of higher income have a vocabulary that is on average larger and more complex (like 5-10 larger) than preschool children of lower income. And studies show that those same children of higher income have vocabs larger and more complex than the parents of the low income children.

Add issues of in-utero stress and health, stress, bad nutrition, environmental factors (pollution, danger, fear, domestic violence, mental health, insecure attachment, etc.). 

The playing field is never level and most children in poverty are already wayyyyyy far behind compared to their peers with higher incomes.
well goddam!!Shocked

@ jones & msW, the mandatory starting point is 1st grade, but I see what yall are saying.  Learning DOES start in the home, as pointed out by Maysay above

@ Samone, yes ur right.  That's what I meant.  They dropped the expectations for us cuz in their mind, not enough of us are as smart as the other races
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:18pm
and not for nothing, I have seen the way some parents speak, they see nothing wrong with it.  The kids pick it up, they see nothing wrong with it.  wash, rinse, repeat.

If nobody is there to correct you, you'll continue to do the wrong thing
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:18pm

and not for nothing, I have seen the way some parents speak, they see nothing wrong with it.  The kids pick it up, they see nothing wrong with it.  wash, rinse, repeat.

Agreed.
I remember getting popped in the mouth for saying my bad instead of I'm sorry or I apologize.

Edited by jonesable - Dec 11 2012 at 3:20pm
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:25pm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/education/dropout-nation/by-the-numbers-dropping-out-of-high-school/

There is a 2 min clip that is not on yt in this link, please watch it guys
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:28pm
freepost
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Agreed.
I remember getting popped in the mouth for saying my bad instead of I'm sorry or I apologize.
yes, little things like may I have, I'm sorry, yes (insert name)  as opposed to  let me get a, my bad, yeah etc....

Pronunciations, grammar, manners, and correct usage all matter
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:33pm
I didn't read all of the comments but was it said that kids from single family households are usually on the same academic level as one from dual parent homes?

I'm talking about the rule, not the exception..
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Being a product of a single-parent home isn't a fail, as much as the way that these single-parent homes are created.

And while what he said was very demoralizing as well as very myopic, I will say that the Black American community is still, in large part, very oriented around survival instead of success.

Even at the collegiate level, the goal of too many Black students is to graduate, instead of graduating with honors, preparing for graduate school and/or landing a job after graduation.

Aunt B always provides profundity.  Do you think it's bc many are first generation so just getting through is an accomplishment? Why do those at the collegiate level just want to get out? Disillusion?

Aww thanks. There are a number of factors, and yes, being first in family without having a parent or older family member to turn to for guidance can be very daunting. Many of our students don't know the appropriate ways to navigate college and often don't ask for help.

I was writing this and someone came in spilling major tea. I will edit this once I get my mind clear.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>
  Share Topic