Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

and not for nothing, I have seen the way some parents speak, they see nothing wrong with it.  The kids pick it up, they see nothing wrong with it.  wash, rinse, repeat.

If nobody is there to correct you, you'll continue to do the wrong thing

Agreed.
I remember getting popped in the mouth for saying my bad instead of I'm sorry or I apologize.

Edited by jonesable - Dec 11 2012 at 3:20pm
Sponsored Links

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:25pm
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/education/dropout-nation/by-the-numbers-dropping-out-of-high-school/

There is a 2 min clip that is not on yt in this link, please watch it guys
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:28pm
freepost
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

and not for nothing, I have seen the way some parents speak, they see nothing wrong with it.  The kids pick it up, they see nothing wrong with it.  wash, rinse, repeat.

If nobody is there to correct you, you'll continue to do the wrong thing

Agreed.
I remember getting popped in the mouth for saying my bad instead of I'm sorry or I apologize.
yes, little things like may I have, I'm sorry, yes (insert name)  as opposed to  let me get a, my bad, yeah etc....

Pronunciations, grammar, manners, and correct usage all matter
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:33pm
I didn't read all of the comments but was it said that kids from single family households are usually on the same academic level as one from dual parent homes?

I'm talking about the rule, not the exception..
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Being a product of a single-parent home isn't a fail, as much as the way that these single-parent homes are created.

And while what he said was very demoralizing as well as very myopic, I will say that the Black American community is still, in large part, very oriented around survival instead of success.

Even at the collegiate level, the goal of too many Black students is to graduate, instead of graduating with honors, preparing for graduate school and/or landing a job after graduation.

Aunt B always provides profundity.  Do you think it's bc many are first generation so just getting through is an accomplishment? Why do those at the collegiate level just want to get out? Disillusion?

Aww thanks. There are a number of factors, and yes, being first in family without having a parent or older family member to turn to for guidance can be very daunting. Many of our students don't know the appropriate ways to navigate college and often don't ask for help.

I was writing this and someone came in spilling major tea. I will edit this once I get my mind clear.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:38pm

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Being a product of a single-parent home isn't a fail, as much as the way that these single-parent homes are created.

And while what he said was very demoralizing as well as very myopic, I will say that the Black American community is still, in large part, very oriented around survival instead of success.

Even at the collegiate level, the goal of too many Black students is to graduate, instead of graduating with honors, preparing for graduate school and/or landing a job after graduation.

Aunt B always provides profundity.  Do you think it's bc many are first generation so just getting through is an accomplishment? Why do those at the collegiate level just want to get out? Disillusion?

Aww thanks. There are a number of factors, and yes, being first in family without having a parent or older family member to turn to for guidance can be very daunting. Many of our students don't know the appropriate ways to navigate college and often don't ask for help.

I was writing this and someone came in spilling major tea. I will edit this once I get my mind clear.

my brother and I were talking about this and how even if you tell a student what to do  they still will not follow through

go to xyz's office...they go, he/she is not there and they give up

go to this website....they get distracted or only go on once and never go on again

I want to know why they don't follow through

**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:39pm
Everyone should watch the documentary "Waiting for Superman." It explains perfectly why I think the OP is a bullsh*t copout that ignores the real issues. 

I might come back later and expound on this, but as of right now, my brain is tired and Im about to take a nap. 

ETA: It's on Netflix

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Dec 11 2012 at 3:41pm
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:41pm

I have watched that movie and cried both times I saw it
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:49pm
I saw it in the theaters with my kids.  another similar to it was "Bring Your "A" game. 

The thread I was talking about minorities not asking for help is this one
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style