Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

I've never met a Mexican person whose came from a single parent home. Their culture is very family oriented. They def have the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.

The difference is when there is a single mother she lives with the parents and they often pick up the slack. It is very rare (amongst the people that i know) for a single mother to be living on her own without family.

ETA: Most of the time there are 2 or 3 generation living in the same home.

Edited by Rumbera - Dec 11 2012 at 12:36pm
Sponsored Links

niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Black parents absolutely need to step their game up
I've been saying this

I wouldn't say that they "encourage failure" but failure certainly doesn't mean 'death by the hands of parents' for Black kids as it does for Asian kids and children of immigrants

Black parents tend to encourage their children to put all of their eggs in to the athletic scholarship 'basket' which is highly irresponsible imo

Very true. I see this way too often and most of the time they forget that even if you DO get an athletic scholarship you still have to keep the grades up in order to even maintain the scholarship. 
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:40pm
While I do believe that single parent households have an influence on how a child does in school, there are other factors that come into play as well. SPH is an issue that needs to be addressed within the AA community as it does more harm than good in the long run.

-Brown Community Organizer
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

I've never met a Mexican person whose came from a single parent home. Their culture is very family oriented. They def have the "it takes a village to raise a child" mentality.

The difference is when there is a single mother she lives with the parents and they often pick up the slack. It is very rare (amongst the people that i know) for a single mother to be living on her own without family.

ETA: Most of the time there are 2 or 3 generation living in the same home.

Yes, this I see a lot.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:42pm
the white man is as the white man does.
We living with our enemies and thinking his main goal wont be to destroy us. 
But wait, some of us are still not sure if he's our enemy. But this has been our m.o since we came out of Egypt. It ain't bout to change. 

It's not that we have a culture that doesn't encourage achievement, fukface. It's that we have a culture of a lack of pride in OURSELVES. A massa mentality, a conditioning from guess who??? A lack of knowledge of self because guess who stole our history and very identity???

I just want us to wake up and see ourselves as we are...but...

Anyway.

not having a family's support is a real disadvantage to a child. It affects every aspect of their life. I've seen it. 

Edited by Derri - Dec 11 2012 at 12:49pm
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:44pm
Bad parenting is the reason children of all colors are failing. And the bad parenting starts with the choice to become a parent even though you are already living in poverty, with bad health, other kids you can't care for, no education, and a dysfunctional or dangerous relationship/household.

Bad parenting is the real issue. It just so happens that single parents get the brunt of the judgment on that score.

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:45pm
Yo, i think the author is a Black dude Stern Smile
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Yo, i think the author is a Black dude Stern Smile

He's a part of the problem too it seems.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Originally posted by sistagal sistagal wrote:

Originally posted by oneluv oneluv wrote:

As hard as this is to hear.... The statistics show that this is true. Do your own research and see for yourself. I hate to say it but we as black people need to do better. BLACK WOMEN: If a man is willing to get you pregnant and take care of you both for the next 18 years. Why can't he just go ahead and marry you?

What's a couple of people's failure to get a ring got to do with our race or anything in reference to the topic at hand?

This. And I also don't necessarily agree that you HAVE to get a ring just to because a man is willing to be there to take care of you and your child that HE aided in creating. That whole tactic of thinking that marriage will automatically make a man want to stick around and be there for you and your child irks me. 

that is bc people do it wrong. marriage should make him want to stay and build with you and vise versa.  that is the purpose of modern day marriage.  build a family, wealth, a foundation, and a future.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:48pm
Right. Most married people shouldn't have married each other to begin with. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
  Share Topic