Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Single Parent Homes Are Why Blacks/Hispanic Fail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
**Sk!TtLeS B** View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:39pm
Everyone should watch the documentary "Waiting for Superman." It explains perfectly why I think the OP is a bullsh*t copout that ignores the real issues. 

I might come back later and expound on this, but as of right now, my brain is tired and Im about to take a nap. 

ETA: It's on Netflix

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Dec 11 2012 at 3:41pm
Sponsored Links

Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:49pm
I saw it in the theaters with my kids.  another similar to it was "Bring Your "A" game. 

The thread I was talking about minorities not asking for help is this one
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I have watched that movie and cried both times I saw it
By the end, I was crying so hard I couldnt catch my breath. Also, Im 5ever bitter that the only child that got into a better school would have still been going to one of the top public schools in the country had she not gotten in. 

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Dec 11 2012 at 3:51pm
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Being a product of a single-parent home isn't a fail, as much as the way that these single-parent homes are created.

And while what he said was very demoralizing as well as very myopic, I will say that the Black American community is still, in large part, very oriented around survival instead of success.

Even at the collegiate level, the goal of too many Black students is to graduate, instead of graduating with honors, preparing for graduate school and/or landing a job after graduation.

Aunt B always provides profundity.  Do you think it's bc many are first generation so just getting through is an accomplishment? Why do those at the collegiate level just want to get out? Disillusion?

Aww thanks. There are a number of factors, and yes, being first in family without having a parent or older family member to turn to for guidance can be very daunting. Many of our students don't know the appropriate ways to navigate college and often don't ask for help.

I was writing this and someone came in spilling major tea. I will edit this once I get my mind clear.

my brother and I were talking about this and how even if you tell a student what to do  they still will not follow through

go to xyz's office...they go, he/she is not there and they give up

go to this website....they get distracted or only go on once and never go on again

I want to know why they don't follow through

Oh yes. I know it all too well. A student (black) came to me this afternoon because she realized that she is failing the course and needs an A to pass. I've offered to go over the course material with her many, many times because she's one of very few black students in this course. She didn't come to my office once this entire semester and now she's in a panic for the final exam.

At one point, I told her that she should have been in my office months ago. She huffed and said under her breath, "See, this is why I don't come."

That's neither here nor there but I'm just so frustrated with this child. I wanted to sit her down like she was my own daughter. Alas, no one can want it for you.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:54pm

Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

I have watched that movie and cried both times I saw it
By the end, I was crying so hard I couldnt catch my breath. Also, Im 5ever bitter that the only child that got into a better school would have still been going to one of the top public schools in the country had she not gotten in. 

the little black boy ended up okay in the end

Yeah, that's when the second round of tears came.
mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

The comment about failure not being looked at, as a disgrace has been true in a lot of my experiences. Everybodys experience is different but te culture of aiming to just get by is very real. It doesn't just pertain to a certain race, it's more of ppl from a certain socioeconomic status.

I didn't grow up around black or latino people who were really goal oriented. In contrast my school was all Asian and their culture was different. Where I'm from there really was no shame in dropping out of school and finding a menial job, applying for gov aid and calling it a day.

i definitely agree with the bolded ...im not even mad at him for saying that because I agree with that when it comes to the black community, too many ppl comfortable with mediocrity

even when teenage girls get pregnant they know they will not be frowned up in our communities and believe it or not i believe fear of stuff like that plays a role in it not running rampant

i could go on for ages with examples as well...it reminds me of when himay10cence made a video saying our society rewards bad behaviour
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:07pm

[/QUOTE]

Oh yes. I know it all too well. A student (black) came to me this afternoon because she realized that she is failing the course and needs an A to pass. I've offered to go over the course material with her many, many times because she's one of very few black students in this course. She didn't come to my office once this entire semester and now she's in a panic for the final exam.

At one point, I told her that she should have been in my office months ago. She huffed and said under her breath, "See, this is why I don't come."

That's neither here nor there but I'm just so frustrated with this child. I wanted to sit her down like she was my own daughter. Alas, no one can want it for you.
[/QUOTE]

Has her mama came to curse you out yet? Tell you're you're a coon/sell out/Uncle Tom because you didn't let her daughter pass and that you aren't looking out for your people?
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:11pm
When I was growing up, you get pregnant, you get thrown out. Nowadays you get a baby shower.

*wonders some people thinks/believe what the end result of generational teen/unwed pregnancy is and will be*

Are some of us really that deep in denial?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote **Sk!TtLeS B** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

1st grade is not the starting line...

actually, it is. 
It's in the first grade that most districts put their children on (educational) tracks, and which track they end up on is not only determined by how well they comprehend information, but how neat they are, how obedient they are, and their ability to sit still. 

The lower the track, the worse the experience. If they waited, even a couple of years, (imo) they'd be able to to get everyone onto the same level in terms of reading and math, or at the very least come very close. 

Watch the documentary, holmes. 

Edited by **Sk!TtLeS B** - Dec 11 2012 at 4:16pm
Bunnyahh View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bunnyahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 4:18pm
ia hairdo & cream.  I said that in the pregnant again thread
,  press blue ball for link

Direct Link To This Post
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair