BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

single mother + republican

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: single mother + republican
    Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:20pm
for the record, the article was titled single mother with family values Confused. thoughts on the article ?

i thoughts the paragraph on one of the leads dropping 75 dollars in tithe a week, while struggling on food stamps, but identifying with a party that wants to do away with the type of public assistance she was on was interesting

Originally posted by nytimes nytimes wrote:

WHEN Jennifer Maggio was in her early 20s, she was raising two children by herself on the $750 per month that she earned as a manager at a furniture store in Vidalia, La. She went to college at night and was living in subsidized housing when she felt God urge her to make an unexpected choice. “I started tithing. To tithe while I was living on food stamps — that was a tough decision,” she said. “The conversation I had with God was: ‘You’ve got to be kidding me. This is about the pastor wanting a new truck.’ ”

She dropped a $75 check in the offering bucket. “I kept doing it, and the bills continued to get paid.” Within a year, she got a job offer from a bank in Baton Rouge and “went from food stamps to a six-figure income,” she said. Ms. Maggio credits God, not government assistance, with helping her climb out of poverty. She later married and founded Life of a Single Mom Ministries to help other women. She hates talking politics, but says she has always been an “extremely conservative Republican.”

Politically speaking, Ms. Maggio is unusual: in 2008 and 2012, three-quarters of single mothers voted for President Obama. It’s tempting to dismiss a Republican single mom as a dupe persuaded to vote against her own interests, a victim of what Thomas Frank called “the politics of self-delusion.”

This assessment is misguided. One polling firm called single mothers “the largest progressive voting bloc in the country,” but Democrats should not take single moms for granted, even as Republicans have shown that they would rather sabotage the basic functions of government than extend the social safety net.

The single mothers who reject the politics of their peers tell us something about the limits of the liberal effort to redefine cultural ideals. The left has recast marriage not as a lifelong contract, but as a civil right, a choice, one of many paths to empowerment. An old-fashioned covenant that binds two people in mutual submission sits uneasily in a secular ideology that holds personal autonomy as the highest good.

But that covenant still means something to many Americans — including single moms, who have every reason to be cynical about traditional marriage. Some have been persuaded by evangelicals that they have a stake in defending conservative ideas about gender and family. Others have found their own way to a rejection of the left’s vision of social welfare. Feminism fails to resonate with many of the women who seem most likely to embrace it.

Since the rise of homes for “fallen women” and unwed mothers in the early 19th century, American Christians have worried about their plight with a mixture of compassion and contempt. If some of these women — widows and deserted wives — were the epitome of the “deserving poor,” others were a pox on their community, a sign that God’s law had been broken by divorce or extramarital sex. Maternity homes for unwed mothers concealed residents’ names to protect the honor of their families. The Christians who ran these charities believed that seclusion from the sinful world, combined with tutelage in child care and God’s word, could rescue these women and return them to respectable society.

Today, conservative Christians see that God-fearing communities are not immune to unplanned pregnancy or divorce. The president of Focus on the Family, Jim Daly, candidly tells journalists that his alcoholic father was absent for most of his youth. The anti-abortion ethic has motivated outreach to single mothers, and a new movement is beginning that is distinct from the familiar network of adoption organizations and crisis pregnancy centers.

Evangelicals are assuring single moms that God has a plan for them, and it still includes marriage — just not in the way they expected. Rita Viselli found herself pregnant at age 35 with the child of a man she was casually dating. She was a recovering drug addict, the troubled daughter of a single mother herself, and a recent convert to evangelical Christianity. In 2000 she began a Bible study for single mothers in her living room in Southern California. She taught them what she had realized: “I have a husband. His name is Jesus Christ. I have decided that he will be my daughter’s father, and she has grown up being told that God is her father. He is real in our house,” she told me. “He has provided for me and my child better than 10 husbands could have.”

This connubial language pervades the small but growing world of evangelical single mothers’ ministries. It has deep roots in Christian spirituality. In mystical marriage to Jesus, medieval nuns and laywomen found one of the few paths to spiritual authority open to them, an escape from repressive reality. When Margery Kempe, an English mystic born around 1373, heard Jesus say “I take you, Margery, for my wedded wife,” she “felt the fire of love burning in her breast.”

Evangelicals are creating a theology of single motherhood that allows the church to embrace single moms without relinquishing heterosexual marriage as the sacred cause of the culture wars. Pastors are beginning to acknowledge single mothers in their Father’s Day sermons and offer practical help like free car tuneups. Pam Kanaly, one of the founders of Arise Ministries in Edmond, Okla., said many pastors worried that outreach to struggling single moms would drain their coffers: “What they fail to understand is that it doesn’t take much to help a single mom, and when a single mother is whole and healed, she is the strongest member in the church. She is the best worker, a leader, an icon in the church.” The new evangelical single mom is no Hester Prynne, but a Christian heroine who surpasses married women in her suffering and service.

A similar shift is happening among African-American Protestants as they grapple with the fact that more than two-thirds of black children are born to single mothers. Black pastors — aware of the persistence of damaging claims about black sexual promiscuity — have traditionally emphasized marriage and condemned sex outside wedlock. “A lot of single mothers don’t attend church because they don’t feel welcome,” said LaVeda Jones, who founded Praying Single Mothers in Grayslake, Ill., north of Chicago. “But churches are getting better now.” Ms. Jones opposes abortion and shares many of white evangelicals’ values, but there are limits to the right’s appeal to single moms: like most black Americans, she votes Democrat.

Single mothers who tilt Republican do not toe the party line perfectly. They often object to the relentless attack on public welfare. Most of the women I spoke to had received public assistance at some point in their lives. But they worried about the spiritual costs of long-term reliance on the state. Single mothers’ main challenge “is not income inequality, but their relationship with the Lord,” Ms. Maggio said.

full article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/opinion/sunday/single-mothers-with-family-values.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Sponsored Links

bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:24pm
her first 2 kids look mixed

Edited by bunzaveli - Oct 28 2013 at 4:24pm
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote FarraFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:25pm
All righty....
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:26pm
my first thoughts. why is that important though bunz?

as for tithing....i save and ensure that my insurance policies are up to date instead.

i give to the needy whenever i can
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:34pm

I guess she is trying to find a republican hubby...

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:36pm
The reason people like her vote Republican is because they're voting in their future self's best interest. They have wholeheartedly bought the lie that it's possible for them to be one of the privileged. Once they get there, they want to make sure they'll be able to enjoy all the benefits so they vote for things now that will help them in the future.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:39pm
I didn't read all of that but I just can not with most americans being republican

just off the top ...

the majority do not have the assets to pay for a catastrophic accident or disease independently without destroying their family's finances

and as far as immigration ... the majority of americans are either immigrants or descendents of immigrants ... when the laws were far more lax than they are today

nevermind if you are on any type of public assistance ... it goes without saying you have no business with the republicans ... who wouldn't mind you and your children starving and your kids working as janitors instead of learning

bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

my first thoughts. why is that important though bunz?

as for tithing....i save and ensure that my insurance policies are up to date instead.

i give to the needy whenever i can
the republican party has had some very public anti woman/anti single mother pieces of news coverage drop in the past few years, thought the article and the woman detailed was interesting.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 5:11pm
Because that's who they think voted for Barack
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 5:26pm
Yes ....?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>