Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Single Mom Of 3 Graduates From UCLA w/3 Degrees
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Single Mom Of 3 Graduates From UCLA w/3 Degrees

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 9 Votes, Average 4.11  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single Mom Of 3 Graduates From UCLA w/3 Degrees
    Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:36pm

Single Mom Of 3 Graduates From UCLA With 3 Degrees

Deanna Jordan

We salute Deanna Jordan, a single mother of three who graduated from UCLA with three degrees on Friday!

“I needed for my sons to see there was a legacy that preceded them with college. I am the first in my family to go to college,” the 28-year-old mom told CBS News of her accomplishment. Before graduating with two bachelor’s degrees and a master’s in African-American Studies, she spent two years at a local community college and three-and-a-half years at the University of California.

The journey wasn’t easy. Jordan gave birth to three sons between the ages of 18 and 22. “I had him and in the hospital I remember thinking, ‘I’m 22, there’s no future unless I can create one,’” she shared. “You can’t really succeed unless you fail, and I failed a lot of times, but it was my persistence and my willingness never to give up.”

The Compton native also found a way to give back to her community. She founded the Compton Pipeline Taskforce, where she and UCLA volunteers work on academics at Compton schools. “I saw the difference in how my boys were in school in Brentwood and then how schools were in Compton where I came from,” she said.

As for her future plans, the scholar said she plans to take a year off before heading to law school in hopes of becoming a district attorney.

Edited by PurplePhase - Jun 15 2014 at 5:39pm
Sponsored Links

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:37pm
don't know if it's a repost, I googled.

So proud of this woman. 
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:41pm
I assume one of her bachelor's degrees was in AA Studies >_<
I wonder what the other was.
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:49pm
Heart
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:51pm
Yes yes yes
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:51pm
Congrats! So many people give up after messing up.
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:54pm
Incredible.  Excellent example.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:54pm
I'm glad she pushed through and finished her degree

Best of luck in law school, no doubt she'll accomplish her goals

Great example for her sons

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

Congrats! So many people give up after messing up.

Some don't even start, without "messing" up
mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzsophisticated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 5:59pm
That is awesome
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic