Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Sidi's: Indians of African Descent (Pic Heavy)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidi's: Indians of African Descent (Pic Heavy)
    Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:07pm
http://dynamicafrica.tumblr.com/post/52048506306/the-sidis-are-a-small-community-of-indians-of

In pictures: Indian Africans

dynamicafrica:

The Sidis are a small community of Indians of African descent.

Photographer Ketaki Sheth has documented their lives for a new book, A Certain Grace: The Sidi - Indians of African Descent, published by Delhi-based gallery Photoink.

It is estimated that 60,000 to 75,000 Sidis live in the western state of Gujarat and the southern state of Karnataka. Fewer numbers live in the state of Goa and in the cities of Mumbai and Hyderabad.

Their ancestors, say historians, were slaves, soldiers, traders, pearl divers and Muslim pilgrims who arrived in India over centuries. A large number of them, they say, also arrived in India as free citizens.

Historian Mahmood Mamdani says the ordinary Sidi were descendants of slaves brought by Portuguese down the coast of East Africa, mainly from Mozambique. “The big difference with Atlantic slavery was that hardly any slaves were brought to India to provide cheap labour… Their main attraction was not their cheapness, but their loyalty”, he says.

Ketaki Sheth says the Sidis have lived in India for over half a century. “Except for one or two people I photographed, no-one has visited Africa. The older generation too feel rooted in India,” she says.

"Except for their dance (called Goma, from the Swahili word, ngoma, meaning both drum and dance) and some exorcism rituals which have roots in Africa, they are Indian in language, customs, dress, food and temperament," says Ms Sheth. The Sidis of Gujarat, for example, speak Gujarati as their mother tongue.

The Sidis are “poor for the most part”, Ms Sheth says. They get some affirmative action benefits from the government as they are classified as “scheduled tribes”, one of India’s most disadvantaged groups.

Mahmood Mamdani says a Sidi elder told him that a girl marrying outside the caste or community is usually thrown out. He said the prohibition on marriage outside the community is more because of “interest than identity”. Outsiders, the Sidis fear, will take advantage of the affirmative action benefits.

"Whenever I asked a Sidi person I met whether they thought of themselves as African or Indian, I inevitably got a quizzical look. What, they seemed to think, was wrong with me: they were of course, Indians," says Mahmood Mamdani.

(images & text via BBC)

Sponsored Links

tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:18pm
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:23pm
It amazes me all over the world the one African tradition that seems to kept century after century is dance. It's like its embedded in our souls.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:26pm
its interesting they don't see themselves as African but neither do black Americans so i get it....

however, I am curious how they are treated differently than the dark skinned Indians...
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:31pm
all Indians came from Africa at some point 

It'll take a long time for the caste system to get eradicated but hopefully it does and this notion of more or less valuable is abolished 

Majesty02 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Majesty02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

its interesting they don't see themselves as African but neither do black Americans so i get it....

however, I am curious how they are treated differently than the dark skinned Indians...

I'm pretty sure they're treated even worse. Ouch

Edited by Majesty02 - May 30 2014 at 12:34pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:00pm
I read somewhere they are treated like crap. To be expected.
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:02pm
@majesty- yeah this is what I'm guessing too...I know from personal experience how much indians despise blacks 

...I also remember reading about the jarawa (very dark-skinned, aboriginal indians) and how they were forced to dance for indians who threw them food and suchOuch

...this was fairly recent too

Edited by CherryBlossom - May 30 2014 at 1:02pm
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:27pm
every time people talk about indians not liking black, i always sense so much more venom in the statement than for other groups who don't like us.  why is that? as if indians are in the minority.  who does like black people?  is there some mystery race a people we havent discovered yet who are looking out for benefit and well being of black people?  we cant even convince black people to like black but we get feelings hurt over indians.
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

its interesting they don't see themselves as African <span style="line-height: 1.4;">but neither do black Americans so i get it....</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">however, I am curious how they are treated differently than the dark skinned Indians...</span>

I can guarantee you they're treated worse.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>