Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shredding Docs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:45pm
I just had to remind my mom to not toss her prescription bottles with labels on them.
Sponsored Links

Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:56pm
I burn it.

I mostly do bills online
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I just had to remind my mom to not toss her prescription bottles with labels on them.

my grandma is so hard headed...im always doing this
Mixer View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 6:18pm
This reminds me that I need to get a place with a fireplace again.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:12pm
SHRED YOUR DOX, Y'ALL.

HELL, BURN IT. My momma just received a bill in the mail from Paypal's Bill Me Later saying she spent $900.. AT FREAKING WAL-MART and someone tried to buy a Mac in her name at an apply store a couple of weeks ago.

PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION.
IslandSuga View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote IslandSuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

I shred everything w/our names and addresses so yes I will tear off the part of the mail that just has a name on it.

Word. If i can't shred it, I'll wet it and rip it in tiny pieces
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:19pm
I dont do it as much as I should..
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:25pm
who are these people that dig through the garbage for people's personal information?  do they come by in the middle of the night and steal the trash?  

i tear up most things, since i don't have a shredder anymore.  i wish my mom would shred things.  she is a purse hoarder.  if you get her purse you will get her life.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:47pm
They are out there lol.

I 've heard that those pre approved credit card apps are a gold mine for dumpster diving ID thieves.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2014 at 8:48pm
What should I shred?

In short, destroy all sensitive information including junk mail and paperwork that includes:

• Account numbers
  • Birth dates
  • Passwords and PINs
  • Signatures
  • Social Security numbers

To protect your privacy, you should also consider shredding items that include:

• Names
  • Addresses
  • Phone numbers
  • E-mail addresses
Below is a list of specific items to consider shredding for your safety and privacy:
  • Address labels from junk mail and magazines
  • ATM receipts
  • Bank statements
  • Birth certificate copies
  • Canceled and voided checks
  • Credit and charge card bills, carbon copies, summaries and receipts
  • Credit reports and histories
  • Employee pay stubs
  • Employment records
  • Expired credit and identification cards including driver’s licenses, college IDs, military IDs, employee badges, medical insurance cards, etc. (If your shredder can’t handle plastic, cut up cards with a scissors before discarding them.)
  • Expired passports and visas
  • Legal documents
  • Insurance documents
  • Investment, stock and property transactions
  • Luggage tags
  • Medical and dental records
  • Papers with a Social Security number
  • Pre-approved credit card applications
  • Receipts with checking account numbers
  • Report cards
  • Resumés or curriculum vitae
  • Signatures (such as those found on leases, contracts, letters)
  • Tax forms
  • Transcripts
  • Travel itineraries
  • Used airline tickets
  • Utility bills (telephone, gas, electric, water, cable TV, Internet)

How long should I keep sensitive documents?

When sorting through dusty file boxes or the pile of papers on your desk, it’s easy to become confused as to which records you need to keep and those you should shred. Here are some guidelines to help you determine how long to keep records:

• Tax Records:  Seven years, to be safe. The IRS has three years to audit your return if the agency suspects you made a mistake and up to six years if you likely underreported your gross income by 25 percent or more. If you failed to file a return for any year, keep records indefinitely.
  • Pay Stubs:  One year. Match them up to your W2 form, then shred.
  • Bank Statements:  One year. But hold onto records related to your taxes, business expenses, home improvements, mortgage payments and major purchases for as long as you need them. Many financial institutions now provide the option to receive your bank and credit statements online instead of by mail.
  • Credit Card Statements:  At least 45 days. The rules here are similar to those for bank statements; hang on to those you may need for your taxes or as proof of purchase. Shred the rest after you’ve confirmed payment.
  • Medical Records:  At least a year, but often longer. Keep medical bills for at least a year in case of a dispute over a reimbursement. Some experts suggest keeping other records for five years from the time treatment for the symptoms ended. Hang on to information about prescription information, specific medical histories, health insurance information and contact information for your physician.
  • Insurance Records:  Keep policy information for the life of the policy plus an additional five years. Additional records such as statements, hospital bills, car repair bills, copies of prescriptions, etc. should be kept up to five years from the date the service was provided.
    Utility and phone bills:  Shred them after you’ve paid them, unless they contain tax-deductible expenses.
  • IRA Contributions:  Until you withdraw the money. You can shred quarterly statements as soon as you match them with your yearly statement.
  • Home Purchase/Sale/Improvements:  Until six years after you sell. Improvements you make and expenses such as your real estate agent’s commission are factored in when you sell your home, lowering your capital gains tax.
  • Warranties:  As long as they are current. Expired warranties can be recycled, unless they contain personal information.

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 03 2014 at 8:49pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair