Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Should the govt give rations instead of EBT?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 47>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 11 Votes, Average 2.82  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 10:06pm
Has anyone mention of the government stop subsidizing corn and actually subsidize real healthy food?
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 10:10pm
Healthy food doesn't taste good.
They can subsidize it all they want....ain't nobody eatin' that sh*t. 
Flowing-Ice View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flowing-Ice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 10:12pm
lol. *yawn*

people want to take money from some useless programs and start spending them on other useless programs?

the american public doesn't want subsidies for corn to go away. 
they'd be outraged by the actual price that they would have to pay. 

people always want a discount to the discount. 
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 10:24pm
QUOTE=Organic]I think accessibility (cost of healthier foods) and education should be promoted more heavily as opposed to putting restrictions on the types of food available for purchase. At the non-profit where I volunteer, most of the clients receive food stamps and many have young children as well. We teach healthy eating classes on what healthy foods go a long way, how to prepare food to last longer (stewing down the meat and preparing leftovers to stretch) and how to stretch their funds (surely, a $2 gallon of Hawaiian Punch goes further than $3.98 quart of organic cranberry juice- why wouldn't someone strapped for cash select the most for the least?). 

It is a lifestyle change that has to be broken out of, especially those who are in the cycle of generational poverty (those who grew up on food stamps and have only known how to purchase food on a limited budget), as opposed to those who are in a more 'situational poverty' situation (someone laid off a higher paying job now using food stamps). The most common reaction we get is the lack of available and affordable healthier foods. Publix is much more expensive than WalMart.

...I paid $7 for a bag of grapes this week. 7 friggin dollars. I totally understand why those on restricted incomes shop in the ways that they do, and I also understand why I see buggies full of cereal and capri suns on the 1st of the month.

...but who really wants to take a hardcore national approach aimed at healthier eating and overhaul the SNAP program? Who really wants to see diabetes and obesity and tooth decay and high blood pressure reduced?
[/QUOTE]

yup.  we've had this convo before.  it is cheaper to eat bad not to mention it is heavily promoted in poorer communities.  I've sometimes heard that to eat healthy is some white people sh*t.  Because it is so expensive.  I've paid $10 for a bag of cherries.  It's a good thing I don't have kids.

No one really wants to see anything overhauled because it's not the poor that is gettin paid or gettin' over in the long run.   Nothing will be done really because there is too much money tied into not only people eating bad but everything.  The FDA is promotin' whatever is going to get them paid, insurance...  Mandatory insurance...from car to health ain't for us.  It's for the insurance companies.   A storm can blow the roof off your house and they can tell you that the rain did it so u ain't gettin' sh*t and there ain't nuffin' you can do....I digress.

There is too much money in people being sick so they make it easy.   If they wanted a healthy people country...fruits and veggies would be cheap and "treats" like soda, chips and ice cream would cost more.   I mean...didn't it used to be that way?

Now...that said...to keep it real...yes it does piss me off when I see folks on generational welfare eating better than me.   Why? because it seems that if u try to do the right thing for yourself you can't get no help.  There is no incentive except pride that keeps folks tryna do right.  I hear alot of students damn near starving because they can barely get help and they are trying to do better but folks who ain't tryna do nuffin' can seem to get it so easy.  My boy says that it didn't make any sense to get his papers.  He was living better as an "illegal".  SMH. In my mind I recognize that the whole thing is game....deep game played on all of us but i'm sometimes blinded by my anger at the unfairness of it all. 
SweetNovember* View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SweetNovember* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 10:25pm
This is what they used to do right? Commodities/government cheese. As long as they're getting something for free they have no right to complain. 
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 11:23pm
If I don't have enough money to feed myself and my kids
someone is willing to give me grocery money every month
the only stipulation was I had to buy actual REAL food

Flip it.

I'm giving someone money every month to help pay for groceries, but I want to make sure they are using the money I give them to buy real food and not candy, sodas, and other body rotting things.

I don't see the problem.

Don't want to buy/cook real food, then don't take the assistance.

BTW: Seeing people buy buggies full of banquet meals only bothers me because I'm a semi-health enthusiast not because I feel like I'm paying for it.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 11:28pm
oh brother.
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2013 at 11:39pm
I'm not okay with rationing though. Just restrictions like they have on alcohol and cigarettes. Maybe just put a limit on how many things of low nutritional value you can get.

It could push more grocers and farmers market to low income areas.

In a perfect (non corrupt) world it could work.

Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 12:30am
nah, don't overhaul anything.
Someone's kid needs some $200 Jordans and their nails done..oh, and some skrinps and steak for their baby daddy.

Keep the party rolling!

When I read comments on threads like this is always reminds me of that thread where everyone was riled up because some White professor that did a study about how Blacks encourage each other to fail, or something like that.

I think the public assistance system should be similar to unemployment, you have to put in/contribute in order to get something out.

I grew up poor, but expecting others to take care of me and the kids I chose to create was never instilled in me.

We all can go thru tough times but it's a damn shame when the ppl that have been busting their azz to work and go to school to elevate themselves most times can't get assistance when they need it but across town, the chic that hasn't done ish with her life but lay on her back and get knocked up, repeatedly, by some trifling dude gets all the help she needs.

Guess I'm obviously in the minority for caping for the ppl that I feel DESERVE help.

eta, good Lawd, I knew I was sleepy when I typed my rant, but my spelling and syntax was off the chain!LOL meh..you get the idea. Assistance should be for people that are at least TRYING to change their situation. People w/out enough pride and desire for self suffiency/parasitic mentality disgust me. "Y'all owe me." gtfohwtbs. And yeah, the goverment bails out big businesses and the military wastes money, yaddi yaddi but I don't see that ish every time I go to the grocery store.

Edited by Cream1970 - Jan 18 2013 at 8:02am
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2013 at 12:36am
This is interesting really.....
I'm starting to see what type of society you all want. 
You'd regret it though.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 47>
  Share Topic