Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Should Successful Black Ppl Help other Blacks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 1.80  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 7:52pm
I don't necessarily have mentors but I have peers/colleagues who are also rocking it in their industries who happen to be black, or minorities.

And I think that for me has been helpful as well. In addition to me being a hard worker and making leaps and bounds. I think ppl in general are more willing to help you when they see you working hard and making strides.

It sounds cold, but why should someone have to:

1. lead you to the water
2. force your mouth open
3. force you to drink
4. force you to swallow and sate your thirst?!

That's the only biggest problem I've always seen. I'm not going to give a side eye to someone who wants more but maybe doesn't know how to get there. But I DO get mad/annoyed when I hear ppl looking for someone to just give them something without having put in any effort.

ETA:

Side note:

With the people I've come across, aspiring rappers tend to be the ones who assume they should just "get rich quick" and you should fast track their careers because they're "spittin hot fiya" when they really sound like they recorded something in their shower. Yet they don't want to put in the effort and go through the pain to make it happen.

And their fall back line is always "well you know, you should help a brotha out because we're fam." No we're not. I have one sister. And I don't promote crap or misogynistic music. Posting a reckless and craptastic track on Soundcloud doesn't make you dope.

*rant over*

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Jan 28 2013 at 7:58pm
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I have been trying to help other black folks since I was in college.  I tried to help my own family and not ONE of them was willing to take it.  They were too damn busy telling my parents how "uppity" I was because I was getting a college education.  I wasn't going to fill out the applications for them, but I had been trying to tell them how they could go to college for free.  Now, it's like fukk 'em.

I now help those who WANT to be helped.  I volunteered at the Human Rights Commission, and when I go back to the US every once in a while, I will still drop in to see what's happening.  I still check up on organizations that help black folks.  I do whatever I can.  I help other black folks here in Japan with day to day and even legal advice (as it pertains to employment matters here).

TOKYO I'd love to chat with you as a long term goal for my company is to set up a regional headquarter in Tokyo! :)

And for sure, I'll be appreciative of any advice you give me. ^_^
The best place to start is JETRO for basic information on establishing a company here.  If you send me a PM and let me know about your business, I may know someone who knows someone who could give you some insight.  I am actually seriously thinking about starting up a cafe or bakery over here, but I haven't decided, yet.
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 1:19am
People who think blacks will stab them in the back and whatnot should help black foster kids by mentoring them or helping them out once they age out. Those kids have no idea what the world has to offer; most only know pain, abuse and neglect and a supportive adult can really change their lives.

I do think that the very successful blacks (and I am talking about the millionaires and multi-millionaires) could and should help other blacks by either offering jobs or offering some kind of program in the area where they were from (they would know best what the area is lacking) like child care/play time services on weekends for kids of low income families or Summer/Winter/Spring break camps, offer some kind of scholarship yearly for a young adult or a single parent to take classes somewhere to get more opportunities in the market, etc.

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 2:17am
I tend to see this with fellow Africans which I highly approve and support. But I notice there is a huge discrepancy of this in AAs and it is sad. I don't mean this from a condescending point of view, but I think the black community has been so heavily damaged by a society that has always undermined them and worked to keep them under a ceiling that all sense of togetherness has been lost.

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 5:18am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Yes yes yes.
There are a lot of folk back home who do this and I love them for it.
When they see us trying they give us that extra push and have positions for us back home

key words.
AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 5:35am
Yasss

I'm in desperate need of a mentor..... I'm suffocating in my environment.
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joileprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 6:06am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i generally side eye people who claim that they don't want to help blacks because they have been stabbed in the back embarrassed by ect.  as if yt folks are so effing loyal and on point.

anyway, of course, i feel i should help others who look like me...been where i've been...ect ect ect

ITA. Similar to how some women don't like other women for that reason alone. That sets off my radar. It also rubs me the wrong way when some people go out their way to state how they don't help other Black people or have a laundry list of requirements or hurdles for us. It should go without saying that no one wants to help an idiot or someone with no motivation. 

I also think that our community puts a heavy emphasis on the struggle as a way to build character and success. A lot of successful Black people transfer their struggle rather than reaching back.

afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 6:19am
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i generally side eye people who claim that they don't want to help blacks because they have been stabbed in the back embarrassed by ect.  as if yt folks are so effing loyal and on point.

anyway, of course, i feel i should help others who look like me...been where i've been...ect ect ect

ITA. Similar to how some women don't like other women for that reason alone. That sets off my radar. It also rubs me the wrong way when some people go out their way to state how they don't help other Black people or have a laundry list of requirements or hurdles for us. It should go without saying that no one wants to help an idiot or someone with no motivation. 

I also think that our community puts a heavy emphasis on the struggle as a way to build character and success. A lot of successful Black people transfer their struggle rather than reaching back.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!!! the struggle is overrated.

im willing to help, and i'll gladly impart career advice. i dont expect a thank you in return but at the same time i will not be someones doormat to on their journy between floors.

i also dont trust a single white soul,

do they even have souls?

i think help can come in a lot of ways im not one for cash handouts in the slightest.
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 6:44am
my parents taught me that Jamaicans were like crabs in a bucket.... i think that sentiment is what stops a lot of people helping their own...
MissinCali View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissinCali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 7:29am
Yes!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic