Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should Successful Black Ppl Help other Blacks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 1.80  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:27pm
Well I help everyone I can. I email outlines, write recommendations, organize campus visits, and that won't stop for me once I've "made it."
Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:29pm
I will help anyone willing to help Themselves . I would love to offer shelter and food to the homeless daily. No one should be without proper shelter in the US . I see mother's that are afraid of shelters due to the Rape dangers . I hope to open a free facilty in the near future .
babycakebabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote babycakebabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:32pm
*Yes, blacks should help blacks. Definitely. I have helped others selflessly that were looking to help themselves. I have helped people selflessly that were not looking to help themselves nor me, but those days swiftly ended.

*Sadly, in our community, I see a breakdown when this occurs:

-Sense of entitlement from person seeking help

1. Not doing due diligence b4 seeking help
 2. Not offering help to or extending help to the potential mentor during mentor/mentee relationship building 
 3. Failure to show formal gratitude during 'help' process & after 'help' process.

Not saying that it is a Black thing, b/c I have seen this happen in the work place across the board, but I have seen it first hand b4 from our own.

Just thought of tht Steve Harvey video clip where he was exposed for not thanking the couple that generously helped him when he had nothing at all and he didnt bother to acknowledge them and disappeared from their lives when their help gave him the foundation to become successful...

Edited by babycakebabe - Jan 28 2013 at 5:33pm
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:43pm
You know what I want to see?
I want to see black people aiming to be more than a worker for the man.
So many of the people I meet are comfortable in a mediocre position their entire lives until they die. As long as it pays the mortgage and covers expenses, it's cool. A lot of people don't have very many goals after 'find job, buy house and car'

dreamz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Or should their presence/example enough to motivate black people?

A "friend" and I were just having this conversation on the phone. To what extent should black people with means and access to power be helping others?

This friend says that she has tried to help other black people come up but all they do is embarrass her or stab her in the back when they have an opportunity. At this point, she will offer "lite" mentorships and that is all. She says that as much as she has tried, black people don't know how to "receive" help.

If you're on the pathway to success, does it matter to you if you have black people guiding you along your way?

Ive had the same experience as your friend. I will still help occasionally, but i'll need to see that you've put in a considerable amount of elbow grease first.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

You know what I want to see?
I want to see black people aiming to be more than a worker for the man.
So many of the people I meet are comfortable in a mediocre position their entire lives until they die. As long as it pays the mortgage and covers expenses, it's cool. A lot of people don't have very many goals after 'find job, buy house and car'

No shade to you Derri, for real, but this is kind of an example of what I was talking about.

Telling someone, either through actually saying it or through your tone, that their dreams/accomplishments are mediocre and that they should be aiming for "more" is kind of condescending. As if having those things isn't good enough.

For a lot of people, having a steady job that allows them to have a home/car/food and the ability to take care of family is the big dream. Achieving that goal is awesome. Especially in these times where doing so is really difficult.

There are all sorts of ways to live...and different types of excellence.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 5:59pm
You're right Maysay, but I'm talking from experience about some of the people in my city. These people want more, they complain about needing more and not having more, yet they sit down and do nothing.

Some people want more, and they do more.

Some want more, but don't do more for a number of dumb reasons. I know lots of these people, they complain to me all the time, and those are the ones I am talking about. Maybe mediocre was the word that gave it a condescending tone.

Edited by Derri - Jan 28 2013 at 6:03pm
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 6:15pm
Oh, and these people aren't putting aside anything for their children's future. (mind you, I'm sure some are, but I'm talking about these ones specifically) Some have a mentality in the Caribbean, 'every tub pon it's own bottom' and that's what they bring over here, many of them.

Anyway, in my city, when it comes to black people, I see too many Indians, not enough Chiefs.

Edited by Derri - Jan 28 2013 at 6:16pm
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 6:33pm
I help those who are proactive in getting "it". Whatever that "it" maybe. I have found that some people want things spoon feed to them. For example,  If i mention a resource to someone, sometimes they want me to email it to them or send them the registration form and contact info. Uh, how about you google for yourself?

I don't need anyone to make the play for me....just toss me the ball. 
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

On the subject of black people not being able to receive help...

I think those of us who want to help really have to evaluate the words, tone, and shape of what that help looks like. I think most of the time it comes off as condescending and patronizing because it seems to follow the structure of "let me point out your dysfunction (because I know better) and teach you how to fix it".

No matter how well meaning, starting from a place of focusing on the dysfunction will always make the help giver appear to have a superiority complex and make the help receiver feel humiliated, embarrassed, and ashamed and therefore not open to receiving the help.

I agree with this, but it's probably also why I don't volunteer much. People get butthurt very easily and can't accept constructive criticism but see it as an attempt to personally attack people.

I'm a blunt person, because time is the one resource I have very little of. So, if I choose to help someone, I'm not going to baby them. No, I'm not going to "go in" on them but I'm not going to sugar coat what needs to be fixed either. If I'm working with you, I want you to be successful - otherwise I wouldn't bother. I'm like that with almost EVERYONE I deal with (with the exception of certain clients where cultural perceptions would make my normally blunt personality a liability).

So, I've learned, if someone really wants help, they'll come asking for it. And if they reach out to me then they know my personality. Which means that they'll know that any criticism I give is out of a desire to see them do better, not minimize them.

But for me to go looking for "wayward" souls to save...no ma'am.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic