Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Should Successful Black Ppl Help other Blacks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 1.80  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Successful Black Ppl Help other Blacks?
    Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:15pm
Or should their presence/example enough to motivate black people?

A "friend" and I were just having this conversation on the phone. To what extent should black people with means and access to power be helping others?

This friend says that she has tried to help other black people come up but all they do is embarrass her or stab her in the back when they have an opportunity. At this point, she will offer "lite" mentorships and that is all. She says that as much as she has tried, black people don't know how to "receive" help.

If you're on the pathway to success, does it matter to you if you have black people guiding you along your way?

Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:18pm
i do agree you need to thoroughly vet who you offer help and mentorship
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (22) Thanks(22)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:21pm
i generally side eye people who claim that they don't want to help blacks because they have been stabbed in the back embarrassed by ect.  as if yt folks are so effing loyal and on point.

anyway, of course, i feel i should help others who look like me...been where i've been...ect ect ect
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Or should their presence/example enough to motivate black people?

worked for me

To what extent should black people with means and access to power be helping others?

what ever they can give - time, money, set an example

If you're on the pathway to success, does it matter to you if you have black people guiding you along your way?

yes

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jan 28 2013 at 4:21pm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i generally side eye people who claim that they don't want to help blacks because they have been stabbed in the back embarrassed by ect.  as if yt folks are so effing loyal and on point.

anyway, of course, i feel i should help others who look like me...been where i've been...ect ect ect

i didn't take it to mean she was helping the whites. and i mean vet regardless of race.

where i want to go---there aren't that many blacks. a black partner at my old firm has supported an organization i work with immensely and is so nice and supportive and tell me in hushed tones about what it's like to be a black partner in a legal environment. 

i have found whites who have been helpful to me.

Edited by EPITOME - Jan 28 2013 at 4:27pm
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:25pm
It would be nice if they helped other black folks but it seems like quite a few who become successful either look down on black folks or act like they want nothing to do with them.

Edited by niecy - Jan 28 2013 at 4:25pm
juicygyrl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote juicygyrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:26pm
I wish we as a whole could lift one another up. Other races stick together like glue, mexicans and asians especially; they will not let one of their own fall ( ususally.)I just don't understand how there are 1000's more Latin and Asian owned business in america than black. 
My bff BIL came here from el salvador in 2007( illegally) he did not speak a word of english. He now speaks english fluently, owns a home and a business. You know how he did this? He stationed himself in a sanctuary city and got help from his own people. And now employs other immigrants trying to get ahead.

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:28pm
I think it's very important and it's how I measure my own success.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i didn't take it to mean she was helping the whites.

where i want to go---there aren't that many blacks. a black partner at my old firm has supported an organization i work with immensely and is so nice and supportive and tell me in hushed tones about what it's like to be a black partner in a legal environment t

oh ok...maybe i was reading what bb was saying about her my lipz twisted waiting for the bs...lol

oh and believe me i know what it is like to be the "only"  not alot of black engineers and especially black women.   i din't even really have a mentor until i started working...she was business.  it can be difficult for sure...
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (13) Thanks(13)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2013 at 4:30pm
ironically, I just posted this pix elsewhere

Edited by PurpleHaze - Jan 28 2013 at 5:07pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair