Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Should I go to Cosmetology school?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>

Bootiful Cream

Author
laidback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laidback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 9:05pm
I went to marinello,save your money (especially if you are going to do hair in southern Cali) I usually do my reasearch but because of marinello's past reputation and my anticipation after under grad...I signed up within a week. Tony and Guy was the same price and I wish I did research and went there. Look into paul mitchell, aveda, and vidal sasson as well or you can also check salons for apprenticeships ...I know the the aveda salon in beverly hills always advertises on craigslist for applicants. There is alot of money to made in the beauty industry in southern Cali and going to the best schools and getting the best education and continued education will open many doors for you. ....assist also (top stylist usually go to the top schools first) if you don't want assist when you graduate..at least assist while in school if your program allows...go to hair shows and go to the classes also go to the classes at cosmoprof and maly's...network network network..In southern Cali it's not about what you know all the time it's about who you know...hence celeb's paying thousands for jacked up hairstyling
Sponsored Links

WestcoastKiid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestcoastKiid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 9:24pm
@laidback Thanks for the feedback, Yes, Yes, Yes, I am trying to do the most research I can on these schools, I'm glad I asked on the fourm. I never thought to look into these schools at all. Everyone I know in my city goes to Marinello's or the JC(junior college) cosmetology school. I'm seeing going to school not to just get more education but as a way for me but as a real business in my future thanks you guys.
Divalicious1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divalicious1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 6:28pm
I can give you an honest opinion about cheaper schools versus bigger name schools. Yesterday I went to the IHS show here in new jersey and was watching the student competitions. Yo could CLEARLY see the difference in skill from the smaller tech schools and the bigger ones. The small schools were no competition. Their level of skill was mediocre at best. The kids from Tony & Guy were killing them.
Now I volunteered to enter the student weave competition while i was in the audience. I hadn't pre-registered, no model, no tools, no idea! But I wanted to represent Paul Mitchell, so I sucked it up and started thinking of ideas. With the skill i had and the drive, I won first place. So trust me, schools make the difference. The other contestants had weeks to prepare, and obviously couldnt pull it off...
This is a career move, not a job.
I know a guy in NJ who owns two salons and pulls in 6 million a yr in profits.
Topaz Moreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topaz Moreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 7:31pm
go for it!! learn all those things and make the most money as possible

i know some white chicks in nyc who spend lik 150 for a wash cut and blow out wth lol ok maybe they get a dye job too
janequinn12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janequinn12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 7:44am
Take a look at some of the programs offered by the cosmetology institutes in Inglewood (http://www.marinello.com/beauty-schools/southern-california/inglewood.aspx) . Institutes like Marinello are accredited and offer financial aid to those who qualify as well. In fact, I heard that Marinello offers flexible class schedules, so you can continue working (and support your mother) while studying as well. 

Edited by janequinn12 - Jan 31 2013 at 7:45am
linjerry345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linjerry345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2013 at 1:55am

Marinello school of beauty also offers great courses too please  check that 
ihairaffair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihairaffair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 12:13am
So what school did you go to and what is the approx cost
ihairaffair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihairaffair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 12:19am
So what school did you go to and what is the approx cost
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 12:28am
I agree with what everyone said but to really do great cuts IMO you will need to take classes after attending school, they only teach you the basica in school. I know because I went to cosmetology school. Some people just have a natural ability to do hair which plays a huge part.

Edited by Princess Grace - Jan 21 2014 at 12:29am
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I agree with what everyone said but to really do great cuts IMO you will need to take classes after attending school, they only teach you the basic in school. I know because I went to cosmetology school. 

You roll out of top school cutting and coloring very well.....

Paul Mitchell
Pivot Point
Vidal Sasson (my top choice)
Tricoci (where I attended...they okay)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair