Should children skip grades?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

I graduated at 16 I wished I was the same age as everyone else...I moved here (from Jamaica) in the 3 rd grade

i hear that alot from Jamaicans (graduating at 16)
Sponsored Links

Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:07am
^^^ I graduated high school at 15.

Skipped Grade 2. Turned out fine *shrugs*

Edited by Yardgirl - Nov 08 2012 at 11:08am
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:11am
I had the opportunity to skip on two occasions, but refused.  I was emotionally not able to handle being with new peers.
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:11am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I was not skipped, but family members have been skipped

I think 1 grade is okay

more than that and you run into social issues
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:18am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

I graduated at 16 I wished I was the same age as everyone else...I moved here (from Jamaica) in the 3 rd grade

i hear that alot from Jamaicans (graduating at 16)

my friend is Jamaican too
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:26am
I skipped kindergarten. Only because I came to the US from Bermuda where the curriculum is different.

I'm all for skipping grades if the child is mature enough. However, that could be conditional. My aunt is an elementary teacher and once told me about a child she had that was extremely smart but easily the silliest kid in the class. When his parents wanted to move him up, she didn't recommend it. Come to find out he was just bored. Nothing was challenging him so he played around a lot. The principal made the decision to move him up and his entire attitude changed.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:42am
is it really the need to skip a grade or actually change the school.....put the kids in a more academically challenging school. 

but i understand not every parent can afford that. 
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Yardgirl Yardgirl wrote:

^^^ I graduated high school at 15.

Skipped Grade 2. Turned out fine *shrugs*

I graduated at fifteen too. My school closed (WILLIAMS PREPCry) so the school i transferred to made me repeat grade four and then i went to grade six i was borreeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddd in grade four.

But Jamaican kids are entering college much older now some evn 19 going 20ShockedShockedShocked because of the change in the Orimary School Exit Examination which places you in high school. The old exam you could take in grade five or grade six so one could skip grade five. Now children must complete grade five and parents tend to hold children back a year or two if they think they arent prepared for the exam.
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 11:44am
I'm all for it.
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 12:10pm
My story is similar to Mamii's.

This kid who went to my high school skipped 2 grades. He was the smartest kid in the class, and probably the most liked/popular too. He won every academic award/most likely to succeed/ and some Community Service award.  He was one of those kids that every private school student knew or knew of. He ended up going to a top ivy (although he didn't want to), an that's where he is now. He was also valedictorian and gave a great speech at our graduation. My brother s in 8th grade and shadowed (visited) my old school and told me that since I graduated, a quote from his speech is now like the school motto. 

Anyway, I guess I say all of this to say, that skipping didn't at all hurt him.
Did I mention he's black?Cool

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Nov 08 2012 at 12:14pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon