FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should children skip grades?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Prazol60 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:24am
I think it depends on the child. You can be book smart and able to do the work of a higher grade but how are you socially? Some children can handle it and I think it is great for them to be given a great challenge. An elementary school near me does not skip grades but sends the children to a special class where they have expanded subjects such as philosophy, public speaking, Greek and Latin.
The high schools are different than in the US so those children that would normally in the US be placed in a higher grade are in a school/class group that are prepared more for university than college.  
Sponsored Links

jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:25am
I like that idea Prazol
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:27am
Where I'm from they have a gifted middle school that they send these kids to.
hauteshellbi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote hauteshellbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:29am
I graduated at 16 I wished I was the same age as everyone else...I moved here (from Jamaica) in the 3 rd grade
juniordetective View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniordetective Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:30am
Yeah...I skipped a grade (3rd grade) and just turned 17 a month and a half prior to graduation. I have no social problems or anything. I say you should skip them if you believe they can handle it...if not, don't. Most people that were supposed to be skipped with me didn't get skipped, their parents didn't let them. I didn't know I was skipped until I got into 6th grade and I was 10 while everyone else was 11.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:38am
they wanted to skip my lil sister but my mom said no...thinking she would have social issues but she gets bored in class.  but what they do is that she goes to 3rd grade for math and reading. 

my bf graduated high school at 16 and bachelors at 20. she skipped 2 grades.

Edited by EPITOME - Nov 08 2012 at 10:58am
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Where I'm from they have a gifted middle school that they send these kids to.

This

I wouldn't want my kids skipping too many grade levels. Social maturity is a big deal.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:43am
I have somewhat strong feelings about it.  Both my sons could have skipped kindergarten and one both kindergarten and first grade.  I opted to keep them with their peers.  We supplement at home and would continue to do so so I did not see the point of skipping them.  

One of my sons who is now in second grade was doing second grade work in kindergarten.  Instead of skipping him, they allowed him to go to the second grade room only for reading and math and the rest of his day was spent in kindergarten.  He was bullied, called a stupid baby, stopped wanting to go to school and at one point actually pooped his pants.  I said absolutely not, no way.  

My daughter on the other hand has a late birthday.  We started her on time which seemed early since most of the kids would turn 6 in kindergarten.  She has struggled to fit in socially as she has always been less mature than her classmates, hit puberty later, etc.  Sports really saved her.  

For my sons, it's still a struggle finding challenging work for them but we just learned about a program called Highly Capable Learners for which he's been nominated.  The school district provides curriculum that he can do in his classroom with his peers.  I think that is great.

Just because a kid reads well or is great at math doesn't mean they are cognitively on the same level as kids who work on their level.  The class discussions are really helpful and age-appropriate.  

I volunteer in all my kids classes and see both the pros and cons to skipping.  They fit in so well but get bored easily with the work 
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoxieDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by juniordetective juniordetective wrote:

Yeah...I skipped a grade (3rd grade) and just turned 17 a month and a half prior to graduation. I have no social problems or anything. I say you should skip them if you believe they can handle it...if not, don't. Most people that were supposed to be skipped with me didn't get skipped, their parents didn't let them. I didn't know I was skipped until I got into 6th grade and I was 10 while everyone else was 11.

I know people who graduated at 17. Imo, that's not that bad. 17-18 is kinda normal.

But in the rare cases where there are people 14, 15, 16 going to college .... that's where social problems happen
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 10:45am
BTW I also could have skipped but my parents didn't.  I did to running start and graduate a 2-yr college at 18 years old.  Interestingly enough, my two closest friends graduated high school the year before me and most of my friend were older even then.  I wonder in hindsight if it really would have hurt me to be skipped.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic