Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - She can do no wrong. Janelle Monae Q.U.E.E.N.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus
 

Topic ClosedShe can do no wrong. Janelle Monae Q.U.E.E.N.

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.14  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 10 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 277438
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:01am
People love to hate a Black woman about something

I swear she gets so much hate just for being awesome



Honestly, I wasn't feeling the song the first time I listened to it. Then I played it again in HQ and DAMN this song gets down! I likely



Question: Is she coming out in this video?

Edited by Alias_Avi - May 03 2013 at 12:01am
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 21 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 45076
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:08am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

People love to hate a Black woman about something

I swear she gets so much hate just for being awesome



Honestly, I wasn't feeling the song the first time I listened to it. Then I played it again in HQ and DAMN this song gets down! I likely



Question: Is she coming out in this video?


What is it she's about that = massive hate?

Being an artist? There are plenty of black women who do that.

Being "alternative" in style & music vs traditional r&b? Meshell Ndegeocello, Tracy Chapman, Kelis, Fefe Dobson and every other black female non-r&b/pop artist did that first too.

Being able to rap 16-32 bars & sing? Monica did that too.

I don't think people here are hating on her, rather the song being lackluster. Her message isn't hard to follow, it's just not unique.

ETA: And since her message isn't new, (nor is her androgynous style) but she tries to package them as if they are, she comes off as "meh" in my opinion.


Edited by modelbusiness82 - May 03 2013 at 12:09am
Back to Top
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 28 2006
Location: StrwberryFields
Status: Offline
Points: 337357
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:10am
Listened again...still don't like it.

*Puts back on Sia*
Back to Top
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 10 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 277438
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:11am
model, i was referring to the racist comments on her video Stern Smile
Back to Top
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: May 21 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 45076
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

model, i was referring to the racist comments on her video Stern Smile


Ahh well that I don't condone.

And to answer your question...she came out on the low, but can always take it back and say "it was just a song". I'd need to have her say it in a press release to confirm it like Frank Ocean did to make it official.
Back to Top
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 10 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 277438
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:16am
Do you listen to her music? I'm assuming not

She's about keeping her clothes on, not conforming to what people want her to be, representing the working class (represented by the black and white uniforms she wears)... that's more than I can say for the majority of mainstream Black female entertainers

If there are plenty of Black women that do that then shouldn't that be celebrated? Stern Smile



Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:



What is it she's about that = massive hate?

Being an artist? There are plenty of black women who do that.


Being "alternative" in style & music vs traditional r&b? Meshell Ndegeocello, Tracy Chapman, Kelis, Fefe Dobson and every other black female non-r&b/pop artist did that first too.

Being able to rap 16-32 bars & sing? Monica did that too.

I don't think people here are hating on her, rather the song being lackluster. Her message isn't hard to follow, it's just not unique.

ETA: And since her message isn't new, (nor is her androgynous style) but she tries to package them as if they are, she comes off as "meh" in my opinion.
Back to Top
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Feb 08 2007
Location: Escarpin
Status: Offline
Points: 484585
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:17am
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

model, i was referring to the racist comments on her video Stern Smile


Ahh well that I don't condone.

And to answer your question...she came out on the low, but can always take it back and say "it was just a song". I'd need to have her say it in a press release to confirm it like Frank Ocean did to make it official.


oh did she?
Back to Top
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: Jun 28 2006
Location: StrwberryFields
Status: Offline
Points: 337357
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:21am
Luv me some Frank O too.

*Plays 'hardest thing'*
Back to Top
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Oct 10 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 277438
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:21am
lmao i clearly did not read the rest of this thread

*ignore my question*
Back to Top
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 12 2008
Location: CrackaIsland
Status: Offline
Points: 462964
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2013 at 12:22am
Something about FeFe D being called alternative always annoys me greatly and I cant exactly put my finger on it. Its probably because Ive always seen her more pop in an Avrill Lavigne kinda way.
Back to Top
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down