Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedShaved my hair off. Now what do I do??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaved my hair off. Now what do I do??
    Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 3:23pm
Ok ladies so I did the big chop about 5 years ago and grew my hair out to shoulder length all natural. It hurt when I combed it and the only style I could do was corn rows or brush backs under my wigs.  I then thought to myselfLamp "why give myself headache from combing" go to the BSS and buy a texturizer kit" all to make it softer and manageable to the end of the day still wear wigs.

Anyway my hair sheds like crazy all the time and this last time it shed like powder puff sizes. I simply called my husband into the bathroom yesterday and told him to shave everything off. I have 4c hair by the way and its always dry. If it were up to me I'd wear wigs till I die but now that I chopped it all off I don't know where to begin. I want to do it right this time.

Right now I have a very low ceasar.
What do you guys use to moisturize your 4c hair or make it soft?
What do you guys use for shedding?
Finally what do you guys use for growth? Any particular regimens?

I seriously need to change something cos this is my 5th chop. A member recommended Glycerin but Glycerin mixed with what? Im reading post about sulfur which sounds positive but I'm clueless and lost. YES I'VE DONE MY SEARCH ON BHM/GOOGLE 4C hair(I only put caps becos this is something I would say to someone elseLOLWink) I have no shame!! Please enlighten a recurring BC'er.
Sponsored Links

dayumash93 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 8:40pm
The key to happy natural hair is moisture. MOISTURE. AND MORE MOISTURE. Along the way your hair will need protein to balance it out. You can go about doing this by applying a store bought protein treatment or making one yourself. As far as shedding goes, a lot of ladies find garlic or garlic pills help (proper protein balance will also help). Being a new natural can be overwhelming and time consuming. For a simple start check out this thread. HTH Smile

Edited by dayumash93 - Sep 24 2012 at 8:47pm
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by dayumash93 dayumash93 wrote:

Babes nothing..... Not even a hint? Not even a nook, cranny, morsel of natural hair secrets? I just need my hair soft. I hate it!!!Cry
dayumash93 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by dayumash93 dayumash93 wrote:

Babes nothing..... Not even a hint? Not even a nook, cranny, morsel of natural hair secrets? I just need my hair soft. I hate it!!!Cry
That was just a place holder while I typed up a response. Tongue
CrownRhoyale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 10:43pm
awww, I cannot imagine how frustrated you could have been to shaved off all your hair. I've always been natural and I've always had family with natural hair but one thing I get asked from all the time from transitioners is how to make hair curly and soft.   Moisturizing is the key to natural hair. I mean, like everyday you should be moisturizing and sealing. That means spritzing with a water-based product and sealing with oil/ shea butter. 

One thing that you must know is that not all our hair is going to be cottony-soft. Your hair may be wiry, or rough to the touch but that's normal for some kinky hair. As long as its healthy, and its growing properly, softness maybe shouldn't be the end all goal. I ask you... as your virgin hair continues to grow in and you properly moisturize it and take care of it... try to do your best to nourish your hair and its really going to flourish. Dont worry!
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 12:22am
^IA! It won't always feel cottony soft but do not worry, it is still growing. You'll just have to figure out what moisturizer and sealer works best for you. As far as combing, you really don't have to comb natural hair unless you're detangling it once or twice a month. Really I promise.LOL

Some good reading for you all about 4c hurr:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/what-type-4c-looks-like_topic319229.html

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/extreme-coils-the-4c-challenge_topic339438.html

Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 2:36am
Suga, I'm still laughing at you looking like Frederick Douglass on that amusement park LOLLOL

(not an insensitive post... she posted a hilarious story)

Ok anyway though... Nioxin shampoo and conditioner "for noticeably thinning hair" or something like that worked great for me. My hair used to shed  A LOT at one point. I started out with the conditioner, and on the first use it decreased dramatically Thumbs Up.. its expensive though.. not sure what your budget is.. but it's worth it. Start with a smaller bottle though to see if works for you. Also I guess try out the garlic pills to start.. it seems like it should be difficult to tell if your hair shedding when you have a cesear cut

It's not the best moisturizing conditioner though, so if you want, follow it up with a good one

Edited by Lite Brite - Sep 25 2012 at 2:39am
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 8:21am
I think what you need is to change your attitude toward your hair. 

I know we all have an idea of what "soft" is "supposed" to feel like. But everyone's hair is different and your may never feel like what you think it "should".

You might ask yourself, is my hair "soft"? And the answer might be no. But is it retaining length? If so, it's probably fine. My sister has really wiry hair...it has never in her life felt "soft" and it's not going to.

So adjust your expectations. Be gentle with your hair. You said when you combed it hurt. That's because you weren't being gentle. And being gentle is a process...for me that means making sure to get out my shed hair first, not ever letting my hair get tangled, and then if necessary working with small sections and lots of conditioner.

About shedding...it's normal to shed 50-100 hairs a day. Just make sure they are actually shed hairs with a bulb. Actually collect and count the hairs because it might help you see that it's normal. Unless the shedding is leading to overall thinning or your hair is coming out in patches, you're fine. Don't forget that medication, changes in diet, and big stressors can cause hair to shed more tahn usual for a while.

Start with a simple regimen with simple products. Be gentle. And learn to accept the fact that your hair may not be able to do everything you want it to. Let go of your frustration surrounding that and learn to love what you have.
DEE80 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 9:28am
From someone who has BC's about a million times, the best you can do is use water and natural oils, like EVOO and coconut oil. Since you have a fade, all you'll need to do is wash, condition, and seal. One mistake I was making was using sulfate shampoos all of the time. Look into Shea Moisture or a cleansing conditioner. This is just me, but I wouldn't worry too much about using a moisturizer besides water on my hair. Your hair is so short. The less you do, the better your hair will be. 
Swift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 6:00pm
I have BC'd at least 10 times and I have never managed to stay natural until I got serious on the boards.

With my short hair, I did not worry so much about it being moisturized (sad, I know) b/c I had read lots of ladies report that their hair didn't really feel soft after their BC.  In fact, my hair didn't start feeling soft (like it does now) until I was able to braid/twist it.  Braiding or twisting it, even only at night, helps to lock in moisture.

So right now, I would say start with cowashing and research the curly girl method.  Even though it's for curls, ladies with kinks have reported good results with regard to their hair feeling more moisturized. 

Water has truly been the best moisturizer for me.  Glycerin has not been good to my hair at all but some people swear by it. 

I still keep my hair cornrowed under wigs during the cold weather cause I've learned that it sucks the moisture right out of my hair.  But in warmer weather my hair is out and "watered" frequently either through daily water rinsing or cowashing.

GL! :)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic