Perfect Hair Collection

Share your tips for the perfect twistout

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Share your tips for the perfect twistout
    Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 3:59pm
My twistouts need to be on point because I plan on rocking a curly partial sew-in soon. How do you get the perfectly formed ringlets every single time?
Sponsored Links

Kocoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 7:30pm
I'm mostly 4a, so my hair is extremely coily and won't take to twists very easily in it's natural state. The ONLY way I can do a twistout is to first stretch (or blowout) my hair, add in leave-in + shea moisture CES, and then twist (medium/pencil sized). 

Edited by Kocoa - Aug 08 2013 at 7:30pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

I'm mostly 4a, so my hair is extremely coily and won't take to twists very easily in it's natural state. The ONLY way I can do a twistout is to first stretch (or blowout) my hair, add in leave-in + shea moisture CES, and then twist (medium/pencil sized). 

I see. I'm 4a/4b and I don't have to blow out my hair but it doesn't come out right every time and the ends remain fuzzy. I got me some virgin Brazilian tight curl and I want a partial weave to preserve my edges so it needs to blend  right. I'm putting weave in only half my head, in the back.

If anyone can chime in as to products/twist patterns being used, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Aug 08 2013 at 7:57pm
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 12:04am
Make sure my hair is sopping wet, then take a section of hair I am going to twist out I will apply a generous amount of Roots of Nature Coil Creme or Butter and proceed to twist.  When my hair is dry I take it down and those twist last me about three days.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 4:21am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Make sure my hair is sopping wet, then take a section of hair I am going to twist out I will apply a generous amount of Roots of Nature Coil Creme or Butter and proceed to twist.  When my hair is dry I take it down and those twist last me about three days.
I have to try this product and see how it compares to the ORS lock and twist gel. I notice my hair needs to be damp but not soaking wet. If it's too wet, I get more shrinkage. Do you do individual or flat twists?
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 8:12am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

I have to try this product and see how it compares to the ORS lock and twist gel. I notice my hair needs to be damp but not soaking wet. If it's too wet, I get more shrinkage. Do you do individual or flat twists?

Individual.  I usually put the twist in a ponytail to stretch it out.  But I must stress that this is what works for me.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2013 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

This lol. It's great in the winter when there is no humidity.

I slightly dampen the twist section with water from a spray bottle,
I'll add in a leave in conditioner(giovanni direct) or regular conditioner(Herbal Essence totally twisted)
I add a butter(butter plus oil mix)
Detangle if needed
Then twist in about 20 twists. Pin the ends if they try to unravel
Slap a satin cap on and that's it until morning. When you undo them, be gentle!

Make sure when you run out of hair at the end of the 2 twists you don't 'borrow' hair from the other twist. It'll just make your ends frizzy. Add product to each individual section you are about to twist to get equal distribution of product.
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2013 at 7:03pm
My twistouts work best on previously stretched/dried hair. My post-wash twistouts get messy quicker.

Wash/condition hair in sections. Detangle during conditioning. Apply leave-ins and oils to each section and make 2 braids/twists to dry. Wear the next day in a pinned up style (or wrap).

(Day 2 after wash day or after style that allowed hair to stretch)

Mist hair gently with water based leave in. (I like the shea moisture spritz).
Carefully and gently finger detangle, then sparingly use modified denman or tangle teaser to get last few tangles out. Apply butter/custard/flax seed gel. Grasp the two strands tightly near the root, and begin twisting. (For even longer lasting twistouts, braid for about an inch at the root) Only begin to move hands down the twist when you can't twist any more. At end of twist curl the ends around your finger to get a coil.

Wrap thinner scarf around the front to keep edges laid, and then put on a silk bonnet.

At the end of the day, moisturize ends and loosly pin up OR retwist in large sections.

This will usually get me about a week.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style