BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shape Mag tells weightloss woman to cover up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shape Mag tells weightloss woman to cover up
    Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:24pm
http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliegerstein/shape-magazine-refused-to-let-this-woman-wear-a-bikini-on-it

Shape Magazine Refused To Let This Woman Wear A Bikini On Its Site

Brooke Birmingham says the fitness mag is hiding what weight loss really looks like by asking her to cover up.posted on 

Julie GersteinBuzzFeed Staff

Meet Brooke Birmingham.

Meet Brooke Birmingham.

She’s the 28-year-old, Quad Cities, Illinois, blogger behind the site Brooke: Not On A Diet where she chronicles her incredible weight loss progress.

Over the past four years, she’s managed to lose more than 170 pounds.

Over the past four years, shes managed to lose more than 170 pounds.

And she’s kept it off for the past year, too.

That’s pretty impressive and inspiring!

Shape magazine thought so too, which is why it contacted her to be a part of its Success Stories series

Success Stories chronicles inspiring stories of real people who have lost weight and changed their lives.

But when Brooke submitted this “after” photo of herself in a bikini, Shape insisted she send in another of herself in a tee.

But when Brooke submitted this "after" photo of herself in a bikini, Shape insisted she send in another of herself in a tee.

When Brooke asked why they wanted a different photo, she was told it was “policy” to show Success Stories in tees.

When Brooke asked why they wanted a different photo, she was told it was "policy" to show Success Stories in tees.

“lt’s just their editorial to be fully clothed, simple as that,” the writer explained.

But a quick glance at Shape’s site and other Success Stories quickly proves that’s not true. There are several women, including the woman above, who are shown in bikinis on the site.

Not surprisingly, Brooke felt singled out. “I felt like my body wasn’t good enough to be featured on their website,” she told BuzzFeed. “When you log onto their website, the first thing that pops up is a woman in workout pants and a sports bra. There have been other success stories with women in bikinis.”

After going back and forth with Shape, Brooke eventually decided not to allow them to use her story.

After going back and forth with Shape , Brooke eventually decided not to allow them to use her story.

“If I couldn’t have the picture of me in my bikini to go along with my story, then it wasn’t MY story,” she wrote on her blog. “The story I wanted to tell and shout out to the world, not their ideal story. So, if I couldn’t tell it my way, then they weren’t going to be able to tell it at all.”

“It all boils down to, I want people to know they shouldn’t feel ashamed of how they look,” she told BuzzFeed. “They should love their body no matter what. I wear a bikini because it makes me feel good. Just because you don’t have what the media portrays as the ideal body, you’re still beautiful.”

As for what she hopes others will take from her experience, Brooke says that she wants to open up a dialogue about what bodies really look like after extreme weight loss. “I get that they’re a business. I get that America is judging on appearance, but at the same time, some of us need to see the real thing.”

According to a spokesperson from Shape, this has all been a terrible misunderstanding.

According to a spokesperson from Shape , this has all been a terrible misunderstanding.

“This is a result of a misunderstanding with a freelance writer. This does not represent Shape’s editorial values and the comments made about Shape’s‘editorial policy’ are absolutely untrue. Shape prides itself on empowering and celebrating women like Brooke, and any indication that we would not run the piece with the photo provided was wrong, as we would have been proud to share her inspirational story.​”

When BuzzFeed reached out to the freelancer handling the story, Jessica Girdwain, all she would say was that, “I totally support what [Shape] says.” Girdwain is not currently under contract with Shape.

Misunderstanding or no, since Brooke posted about her Shape experience on her blog last week, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Misunderstanding or no, since Brooke posted about her Shape experience on her blog last week, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

“The response has been ‘I needed to see a picture of this. I needed to know that my body is okay like this,’” she told BuzzFeed. “Yes, there’s been negative people but I didn’t do this for those people. I did this for people to know that they are not alone in these issues.”

Edited by CherryBlossom - May 06 2014 at 4:25pm
Sponsored Links

Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (38) Thanks(38)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:28pm
Nobody wants to see that.
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:32pm
How come her legs don't have loose skin?

Is leg skin more elastic? 
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:32pm
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:33pm
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (23) Thanks(23)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:34pm
She knows damn well why they said cover up....dont know body want all that skin unless its from a chicken and deep fried in lard....
Meme0887 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote Meme0887 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:35pm
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:36pm
Sorry, but wear the Tee shirt, honeyboo. 

I get love your body the way it is blah, blah, blah but I don't want to open Shape up and see all that.  I want to be inspired, not scared.

Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

How come her legs don't have loose skin?

Is leg skin more elastic? 

Im think her body type was one in which most of the fat is held in the stomach area. Ive seen plus size Apple's and inverted triangles with thin legs
Mixer View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:43pm
(while looking at her stomach) No one wants to see you frown.

Edited by Mixer - May 06 2014 at 4:51pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>