It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
RedPanda79 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2012 at 4:46am
That hair in the video looks nice but the execution...no. It looks like a weave/wig. That big braid bump in the front and that pull back at 1:52..smh 
Sponsored Links

butterfly3582 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Becky Becky wrote:

Originally posted by Carling Carling wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  I've seen videos of self-installs, but I'm looking to have it done by someone with experience, so I can avoid the pitfalls you listed.  THIS is what I want:

Sorry but I have to say .. this looks exactly like a full head weave.

I am not meaning to offend ...

The beauty of these lace wigs is that when applied properly they will look like they are growing right out of your head. That means you can see the 'scalp' and the edges are feathered such that the wind of whatever can blow and the edges look like yours. Otherwise .. you may as well buy a regular wig which is much cheaper and sew it to your head. Ouch

When I saw this video at about 1:51 .. my skin just cringes from see those balding edges. Wow .. seems like the young lady does not realize this.

I think the unit looks nice and she's beautiful young girl (though it is too long) when she stands still ... but life is all about movement and the minute she moves and/or the wind blows .. everyone is gonna see those balding edges and how they don't blend into her skin ... so then it's just another full head weave job.

Again, not meaning to offend .. I am only letting you know that weaves and lace wigs ... are two different creatures.

I agree her execution leaves a little to be desired adn she needs to care for her edges.

But honestly weaves and lace wigs are not that different.  I have did tons of different installations with weaves, wigs, closures, frontals, behind hairlines, in front of hairline, glued, tape, bobby pins, u part wigs,

In the end they are all pretty much the same.  It is all about application and execution of the technique that makes the difference. 
Becky View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 10:52am
Nooo.

They are very different in term of installation and appearance.

Weave:

- Telltale signs are that the hair is HIGH up off your head. This is because you have your own hair cornrolled.. which can be the same problem with a Lf wig.

- The thing is, they try to install the weave so that it lasts a good 6 weeks so they try to make it lasssst.

- Washing? Now that is a hassle. Indeed you will not be able to clean your real hair until you remove it every 6 weeks.

- When you part your hair you cannot see 'scalp'. You just see that the hair is 'parted' but clearly there is no scalp.

-When you move your head etc and people see your edges, either they will be balded up like you see in that video or .. you try to make your natural hair kind of blended into the weave. Well, this never works except from .. afar or in pictures. But up close, you can see the difference and where your own hair ends and the weave hair begins.

The reason her edges look like that is the TRACTION on the cornrolls again and again. This is called 'Traction Alopecia'. Sometimes it can grow back and sometimes (when you see that the skin is shiney.. the folicies just give up and die. Ouch When that happens .. that area just stays bald. I know several women in this position (I run into them a few times a year .. and my skin just crawls) after soo many years of manipulation from braids, badly maintain locs, cornrolls for the weaves .. you name it.

It seems this mainly plagues the Black community .. but nobobdy wants to talk about it. Confused   http://www.hairloss.com/home/hair-loss-condition-traction-alopecia.html

Sometimes they set the weave off their hairline so that part remain safe .. but  the area off the hairline .. where the weave IS sitting ... begins to break. It's all the constant rub rub rub and the tension. This is why I do not support the Tootsie Method because hairpins, clips ... rub rub rub .. takes the hair out.

So the thing I am really against is .. whenever you sew or pin or in anyway attach tracks etc to our natural 4b hair .. it eventually damages it. Geesh how many 45 - 50 year old friends do I have that have permanent hair damage from weaving up their hair for the past 20 -25 years. Yes, just the fact that you attach the tracks .. to your own hair .. causes damage.

- Money and time? Unm you will be stuck in the beauty shop every 6 weeks for the whole day  and good grief the cost of trying to buy the hair and trying to reuse every 6 weeks to save money ... is incredible.

Lace wigs:

- Can be high off your head .. if your hair is long .. but everyone is not growing out their hair so then the unit can be applied such that it is flat to your head. If you are growing out your hair  you have to learn how to flatten and wrap it to avoid the 'big head' look.

- Washing? You remove the unit every week, wash and condition your own hair AND the unit so it lasts for months as it is intended to lasts for months.

- The units do show the 'scalp' whether it is bleached knots or a silk top .. it looks like a real scalp when you apply it properly.

- You have to feather, layer, taper the edges and use your choice of adhesive to make the edges look like they are growing out of your head. Granted, this takes time and skill .. but everyone can learn. Wink

I dare say .. you can achieve a very realistic appearance AND maintain a healthy head of hair with these units.

- But the BEST part is that when you properly install the unit, the glue/tape adhesive is on your SKIN .. not your hair. The adhesive should never be on your hair. In this way, your hair is protected and cannot be damaged at all. (Again when the weave is properly applied .. it is attached to your HAIR .. which is always bad news for 4b hair)

I have been in these units for yearrrs and my skin around my edges is still clear and my edges themselves are completely entact. With the Weave .. surely your edges will look more and more like they edges on that young girl in that video at 1.51. Now that is the the begining of the end but there she is talking about how long her hair is growing. Okay, what´s the point of having long hair .. if the edges are all chewed up? Ouch Whoaaa.

Money and time? Once you establish a good rapport with a CV Wink you can buy your units at a good price and install them yourself. No longer a slave to the the beauty shop and the units .. last.

My application from beginning to end .. 15 minutes ... no kidding.

Hey, you can wear a weave if you like .. it's a free country .. I am just trying to illustrate the fact that the Weave and the Lace Wigs are indeed 2 different animals. Clap 

One will take your hair out if applied properly and .... one will preserve your hair if applied properly.

Edited by Becky - Mar 06 2012 at 1:49pm
Carling View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the feedback, ladies!  I've worn weaves for nearly 20 years.  I decided to give wigs a try because this is what I have discovered:

You can buy a virgin hair, custom made, beautifully cut and styled FLW for $200-$300.  I pay at least $250  for 8 oz. 20"-22" virgin wefted hair and a matching closure, even from a CV.  It costs next to nothing to wear a wig (cost to have it sewn should be nominal compared to getting a full head weave).  With wefts, I have to pay another $150-$200 for install, cut, and style then HOPE it's all done to my liking, which it never is.

The truth is I've gotten more compliments on the $20 Freya wig I'm rocking than I ever did when I had $400 worth of virgin Brazilian hair wefts installed.   I've paid THOUSANDS on weaves over the years, but they never looked as good as this cheap synthetic wig and that's ultimately why I switched.  
Tressa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 8:34pm
@Becky Hey Lil' Mamma...your point is well taken.  There was a step by step instruction back in the day but it inlcuded exposing your own edges and had an easy stitch to put in on and take it off.
The only caveat was that a "licensed cosmetologist" sew it in,,becuase of the dangers of traction alopecia or other issues....@Carling..you are right.  I haev some of the most beautiful hair known to man on tracks right now.  Just prices the perfect closure at a hefty discounted price of $200 and the idea of cutting it, and putting tracks makes want to scream..and it wil break and my hair down, even with the synthetic hair in it to anchor it.  The best thing for my own growth has been the FLW...and my units have lasted for years... The app process takes a few minutes..edges to finish and I'm on my way. The hardest knock for me has been vendor inconsistency...
Carling View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Tressa Tressa wrote:

@Becky Hey Lil' Mamma...your point is well taken.  There was a step by step instruction back in the day but it inlcuded exposing your own edges and had an easy stitch to put in on and take it off.
The only caveat was that a "licensed cosmetologist" sew it in,,becuase of the dangers of traction alopecia or other issues....@Carling..you are right.  I haev some of the most beautiful hair known to man on tracks right now.  Just prices the perfect closure at a hefty discounted price of $200 and the idea of cutting it, and putting tracks makes want to scream..and it wil break and my hair down, even with the synthetic hair in it to anchor it.  The best thing for my own growth has been the FLW...and my units have lasted for years... The app process takes a few minutes..edges to finish and I'm on my way. The hardest knock for me has been vendor inconsistency...

Thanks, girl.  Vendor inconsistency is an ongoing issue whether you're rocking weaves or wigs.  That's just the nature of the beast. LOL
Carling View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2012 at 5:21pm
Here is a new video from the fabulous Meechie2cute raving about her sewn wig! Clap

I'M STILL LOOKING, CHICAGO LADIES! Cry

Edited by Carling - Mar 27 2012 at 5:27pm
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2012 at 5:35pm
Carmishia would be my recommendation.  She has some experience with wigs but you would probably need to have pictures and guiding information for your specific requests.  I would be concerned with lace damage after repeated use. 

Another consideration is making your own wig with closure to have the option of sewing without the risk of lace damage to your wigs.  Do you still have your weave stash available? 

I made a wig with an old lace closure last year. I used clips because my sew in was scheduled the following week.

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by RedPanda79 RedPanda79 wrote:

That hair in the video looks nice but the execution...no. It looks like a weave/wig. That big braid bump in the front and that pull back at 1:52..smh 

thats what i thought. it looks just like a sewn in weave. The hairline when hair is pulled back is not pretty
Carling View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2012 at 8:10am
Hey, Missy!  You trolling in the lace front section???  LOL

As you can see, I've defected from weaves for now.  Thanks for the advice, but I'm not messing with Carmishia again, especially since she doesn't sew wigs on the regular.  Not worth the drive or the 8-10 hours it will likely take to get it done.

If you know of anyone in the western suburbs, please let me know. 

Edited by Carling - Mar 28 2012 at 8:11am
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic