Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Sewing in Wig vs Elastic Band Method

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DixieDarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewing in Wig vs Elastic Band Method
    Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 5:10pm
So I am receiving my first customized lace frontal wig soon, and I'm pretty excited! There's just one factor that I'm concerned about - how am I actually going to wear it. I am a bit active - I work out and I am in a dance club in my college. Our dances are usually upbeat, and I shake and whip my head a lot. So I was wondering what is the best way to keep a wig snug during daily activity?
I'm leaning towards sewing it on, but I do want to wash, condition, and moisturize my real hair at least once a week. So I was wondering if reinstalling the wig once a week would damage the wig?
And now I'm reading up about the Elastic band method, which sounds great because at least I can take it off at night and do my own thing. Plus I read that not sleeping in your wig would increase the longevity of it. BUT just HOW reliable is this method? 

Any advice?
Sponsored Links

hot_N_Spicy73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hot_N_Spicy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 6:44am
When i wear a wig I tack mine down with a few strategic stitches. I have the elastic band and i only tack dowm the front. I take it off every night.
DixieDarlin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DixieDarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 7:57am
Originally posted by hot_N_Spicy73 hot_N_Spicy73 wrote:

When i wear a wig I tack mine down with a few strategic stitches. I have the elastic band and i only tack dowm the front. I take it off every night.

Wow I never thought of that! So you basically combined both of the methods, how long does it take you to stitch it?
NewAgeArt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewAgeArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2016 at 10:51am
Have you thought about using adhesive? There is really good adhesive that is water proof and sweat proof and it goes on the nape and forehead not your edges. It can be worn overnight and not need to be reapplied for a few weeks. There are other options in case you have a certain preference. It is really good and not too expensive plus I believe it can be removed ahead of time to care for your hair if you'd like. If you do buy it I suggest shaking your head around for a bit test it out.
pg12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2016 at 9:03am
i myself cant get away with the tootsie mom method..have had a couple of people tug at my wig..i use stick it tape (lasts up to 3 weeks) and ghost bond around the front perimeter of my wig to seal the edges of the wig..and at night i make a long ponytail banded with 1 band and wrap the end so it will not move around much at night
carrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by hot_N_Spicy73 hot_N_Spicy73 wrote:

After being back in a weave for 3 weeks since not having one in 8 years, I'll be doing some sort of a hybrid myself when I return to lace fronts
Slanted doll eyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slanted doll eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 2:45am
I use small pins when beed EXTRA security otherwise use installed combs and adjustable straps
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3s44uayr4Ok
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 9:49pm
Just a side note: combs can cause breakage. Find a method with ur combs that don't cause breakage. I haven't figured one out. I cut the combs out all the time.
Slanted doll eyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slanted doll eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 10:09pm
I only use the back comb at times.. for regular use i find that the adjustable straps alone offer enough security for me personally.. if it's going to be windy or i feel I may need extra security then i use straps as well as side combs 😊.. so basically combs for frequent use probably not a good idea.. also making sure to use a wig cap underneath helps with comfort ..
pinknikkij View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinknikkij Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Just a side note: combs can cause breakage. Find a method with ur combs that don't cause breakage. I haven't figured one out. I cut the combs out all the time.

Knowing this, I'll probably never wear a u-part ugh

I always thought combs were the safest application
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic