BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Sew-In for a year on 4b hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
shalafbabii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sew-In for a year on 4b hair?
    Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 12:40pm
I was wondering if you ladies could advise me on something. I will be wearing my natural hair protected all in year in order to retain length. I was wondering if it was safe to use sew in extensions as my go to protective style?
I will be in back to back installs, 6-10 weeks each. My braid pattern will not be tight because i have a sensitive scalp. I will be washing every three weeks with shampoo and co washing weekly or as needed. I will have very minimal leave out just to cover the tracks so that I can wear the hair in a bun or ponytail. I will also get a protein treatment done every 8-10 weeks I ensure my hair stays strong.
Is this a good regimen for healthy hair growth?
Sponsored Links

ApppleBaum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ApppleBaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 12:47pm
I wore a sew-in for a year. The only negative thing I can say about the sew-in is being that I had a leave out, that part of my hair became very brittal and eventually broke off and my edges thined because of the braiding. The rest of my hair that was protected by the sew in was very soft and curly. I used Tea Tree Mint Conditional (left it on all day) and washed with Morrocan Argan Oil Shampoo. Ultimately, I would call it a win-win. My next week, I'm going to get a lace closure to protect the front of my hair.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 12:49pm
It sounds good to me. Your doing the right steps while the hair is out. You just have to make sure you keep it moisturized. If that's your pic in your avi with the colored hair then you definitely have to keep it extra  moisturized. I found that using an Onion mask stops shedding. I was using the mega-tex for a while and kept shedding. I blended 1 onion and rubbed it all over my scalp and slept with a plastic bag over my head and I kid you not, not 1 hair on the comb. HTH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 12:55pm
I appreciate the advice and support ladies!! I will be getting it done tomorrow... Trying to get to healthy APL by August 2013. Wish me luck!
thebombdotkom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebombdotkom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 1:14pm
Sounds good to me! Sew-ins have been the best protective style for me. I've kept them in non-stop for over a year and I've experienced tremendous growth.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 1:17pm
@appplebaum and @thebombdotkom do y'all have pictures of your hair growth with sew-ins?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ApppleBaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 1:21pm
I didn't take before and afters. But I cut all my hair off January 2012 and By December it was shoulder length. I conditioned it. Let my hair breath for a week between weaves and kept going.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shalafbabii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 1:34pm
@appplebaum wow! That's great .. Took me a year and a half to get to CBL but my regimen was thrown off so much by experimenting with my newly natural hair. I'm really trying to crack down and get on a healthy hair journey this year to see if I can gain another 6 inches or more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ApppleBaum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 1:39pm
I totally understand. With the birth of my daughter, I could not manage my hair at the hair salon every week. So I decided going natural may be a little easier especially wearing protective styles.
legzfordayz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legzfordayz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2013 at 4:44pm
I'm going to try full sew ins for the rest of the year I just have to find some quality hair to invest in hopefully I can get to shoulder length by the end of the year right now I'm just at chin length :(
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic