Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives 2007
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSew Ins + Breakage???

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
cs92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sew Ins + Breakage???
    Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 4:25am

Hey Ladies,

I'm thinking about getting a sew-in weave, but I've heard so many success stories and horror stories about them, I don't know what to believe. Some people say their hair breaks, sheds, and falls out like mad, and some people say their hair grows. I'm sooo confused...Dead

But, I have a few questions:

1) How should you take care of your hair UNDERNEATH the sew-in?
2) What are some good moisturizers?
3) What are some good weave hair brands?
4) Has a weave ever broken your hair out before? Or did you have any problems with it at all?
5) Does a weave make your hairline thin out?
6) How do you take care of the weave hair?

Thanks Ladies....Big smile
Sponsored Links

Nita81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 7:55am
My hair has really grown using sew-ins.

I wash my hair once a week. I dilute my shampoo in a spray bottle with water to spray my braids. Rinse well. I follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse to make sure all soap residue is gone. Then I use a diluted conditoner.

2) What are some good moisturizers? I either use Giovanni direct leave in or Qhemet Biologics olive cream detangler for the left out hair. I seal the ends with my homemade oil blend. I use Giovanni vitapro leave in(spray) for my braids.

3) What are some good weave hair brands? I'm using indianhairs.com hair right now. For bss hair IMO is Black Diamond.

4) Has a weave ever broken your hair out before? No Or did you have any problems with it at all? No

5) Does a weave make your hairline thin out? No.

6) How do you take care of the weave hair? I brush hair daily with a denman brush to remove tangles if any. I don't put any products on the weave. I don't want it to get greasy.

HTH

Edited by Nita81 - Jun 22 2006 at 7:56am
la flaca bela View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 8:14am
    I agree with Nita8,all lot of times people may confuse natural shedding of the hair with the hair breaking! One must remember that the hair sheds everyday, but it;s gradual and you may not pay attention,but when you don't comb it for a couple of months at a time then you will see the shedding of the hair when you take down the braids. Now sometimes when one is taking out the weave they may at times snip a braid or two mistaken it for the thread,this usually happens if you are doing it yourself and you can't see,but are feeling along. But all in all I think that most wii tell you that the hair growth at the roots grow at their normal rate but the difference is that the hair is healthy and unprocessed hair which is stronger and last longer than when you were relaxing it! It's a wonderful thing to be able to come up out of a relaxer!!! And even if you must do the front or top only it;s still better than the whole head! All in all weaves are GREAT!!!! GET yourself some!!!
GoldenReign View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 9:34am
I've never had any problems with my hair breaking off from sew-ins.  As a matter of fact it has grown tremendously and is much more healthier.  I think its all about how you take care of your natural hair underneath as to whether or not you will have breakage etc.  Usually I apply oil sheen between the tracks to make sure my hair doesnt dry out.  I never have a problem with it loosing the tracks or braid.  As far as the shampooing, I follow the same regime as Nita.  Just make sure you dont forget about your real hair underneath, keep it cleaned and moisturized and you should be fine.
MayaCola View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 4:39pm
I wash my hair once or a week or depending on how the hair looks i might get away with 2 weeks (I have a full head weave).  I have had no breakages since having a weave - in fact my hair is starting to grow back after the years of single braids. Once my hair is dried I used a spray moisturiser.

when i take it out I cut the hair off, take off all the threads that are left, undo each braid with a wide tooth comb and as an extra precaution (and also because I read it somewhere in a magazine!!! I then put in a condition and combe out all the old hair that would have shed - I then shampoo and condition my hair before getting it weaved away again.
I use Better Braid Spray
Ive just upgraded to Aphrodites salon hair because I read reviews from the knowledgeable ladies on this board
4) Has a weave ever broken your hair out before? Or did you have any problems with it at all?
I have so far not had any problems with the weaves I have had in the last 6 months - but I will say that the first I had a few years ago I was not told how to look after it so when it came to taking out I had a matted mess underneath which mean I had to cut a lot of my hair off.  Hence the reason it took me years before I had another weave. 

I cant answer that question as i had a thin hairline from childhood but I will say that wearing braids has definitely damaged more of my hairline so Im hoping with the weave it will give the hairline the rest it deserves and so far it doesnt look like Ive lost any more hair but Ive definitely say that Ive gained a little length.
On the straight hair I would flat iron with a thermal protector and use moisturiser but I have since found out a lot of the ladies here dont use the moisturiser. Ive now got Eurocurls in so Ive done what a couple of the girls have mentioned here (or rather the equivalent until I buy the Noodle head creme everyone seems to be raving about) - I put in a detangler whilst the hair is wet - and finger comb.
deewhizz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by cs92 cs92 wrote:

Hey Ladies,

I'm thinking about getting a sew-in weave, but I've heard so many success stories and horror stories about them, I don't know what to believe. Some people say their hair breaks, sheds, and falls out like mad, and some people say their hair grows. I'm sooo confused...Dead

Thanks Ladies....Big smile

cs92, everyone's hair is different. I think that's why you have heard so many different opinions. I can only give you my experience and I think it had a lot to do with my hair type which is fine and delicate especially after relaxing. Its growing very well now thoughSmile
The other ladies have given you some good info already on moisturizers and brands, so I will just give you some concerns I had with sew-ins to help you with your decision.

If you have very fine hair,which is one of the reasons some wear weaves, there are a few things to watch out for with sew-ins.

Sew-ins can sag after washing, and once that happens it can break the hair.
On the other hand if the wefts are sewn in too tightly to prevent sagging, it can also break the hair. I believe its called traction alopecia.

If you are not careful when taking out the thread when removing the weave, you can break or cut your own hair.

For these reasons, I no longer wear sew-ins. I wash my hair too much and the wefts would sag. On the other hand if it was sewn in really tight it was uncomfortable and led to breakage.

I now use protac tape and liquid gold adhesive. It allows me to install and takedown quickly and easily, without help and most  importantly without breakage.

I can wash my hair as much as I want without loosening of the wefts. Once the bond is set I can moisturize my own hair as much as it needs and the bond does not loosen. This is crucial for my hair type to keep it from drying and breaking.  It the best method of attachment I have tried so far.
cs92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Nita81 Nita81 wrote:

My hair has really grown using sew-ins.

I wash my hair once a week. I dilute my shampoo in a spray bottle with water to spray my braids. Rinse well. I follow with an apple cider vinegar rinse to make sure all soap residue is gone. Then I use a diluted conditoner.

2) What are some good moisturizers? I either use Giovanni direct leave in or Qhemet Biologics olive cream detangler for the left out hair. I seal the ends with my homemade oil blend. I use Giovanni vitapro leave in(spray) for my braids.

3) What are some good weave hair brands? I'm using indianhairs.com hair right now. For bss hair IMO is Black Diamond.

4) Has a weave ever broken your hair out before? No Or did you have any problems with it at all? No

5) Does a weave make your hairline thin out? No.

6) How do you take care of the weave hair? I brush hair daily with a denman brush to remove tangles if any. I don't put any products on the weave. I don't want it to get greasy.

HTH

Hey Nita,

What's your hair type?
cs92 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 5:49pm
Wow...thanks ladies!

You guys are so helpful Big smile
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 6:01pm
All in all I have to agree with the other ladies but here is my 2 cents as well..LOL..
Originally posted by cs92 cs92 wrote:

Hey Ladies,

I'm thinking about getting a sew-in weave, but I've heard so many success stories and horror stories about them, I don't know what to believe. Some people say their hair breaks, sheds, and falls out like mad, and some people say their hair grows. I'm sooo confused...[IMG]height=17 alt=Dead src="http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley11.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

I keep it moisturized, oiled and clean basically.
Besides my own natural oil mixture I also use Kemi Oyl, Soft-n-Beautiful Botanicals aloe herbal conditioning light, ORS Olive oil, and a few others here and there that I cant think of te name..LOL
Well since I am in love with non-BSS hair the best is Virgin Indian Remy Hair handtied wefts or what not because even though its 'virgin' you can color, perm, relax it to your liking without damaging it...But for BSS the only brand that was okay was Outre Velvet and Goddess Remy
Nope I guess because I do my own :0)
To be honest, it can if you always braid it up...sometime you have to just let it be out and 'breath' LOL and also vise versa if you dont take care of it when it is out.

At night I either wrap it, braid , bun it up or ponytail and put on a silk or satin scarf.
Thanks Ladies....[IMG]height=17 alt="Big smile" src="http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley4.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Edited by ThAbAdDeStBaBy - Jun 22 2006 at 6:06pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System