Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedSew Ins and working out QUESTIONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
vwcfitchick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sew Ins and working out QUESTIONS
    Posted: Aug 14 2011 at 10:53pm
Ok ladies, I am new to the weave game.  I'm on my second install.  My first was a borderline disaster bc I thought it was wet and wavy and it WAS NOT so it ended up a DREADY ARSE MESS; second install and I am getting the hang of this but here is my question....I'm a fitness instructor...I teach zumba 6 days a week, tie the top down with a scarf while teaching (only the top and edges are out).  Is there anything else I should be doing?  It just seems like when I take this install out my hair will be so sour. 

For those of you who workout regular, what is your regimen.  Should I sit under the dryer so my scalp dries?  All of the ladies who rock sew ins around me dont workout on a regular basis so they are all of no help! Clueless.....
Sponsored Links

Shadonna3333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 1:50pm

Bump Bump Bumpity Bump! Lol.. I would love to start working out a little harder than I am now but my issue is that my hair itches like mad when I start to sweat a little. I dont know what else I can do but I can not deal with the itches.LOL

vwcfitchick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 1:53pm
lolol yes that happens to me after every workout.   Surely there are some sistas that workout and rock sew ins.  Maybe workin out is super rare, i guess i will figure out something.  BUT THE ITCHES ARE NO JOKE LOL!
miamiu1127 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:02pm
I have been rocking sew-ins forever and i work out daily. I just let it dry I tie mine down though and I wash every couple of days. I usually wear curly hair so it is better to work out in to me. When i have straight hair in its a full install and i just clip it up and go. Mine itches too that is the aggrevating part, nothing I can really do about it though.
sassy999girl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:04pm
Good question, as I'm having the same issue, I'm very active in the gym with zumba, yoga, and weight classes so yeah sweating and itchy scalp is bad.

I'm learning too and not sure if this will help you but it has provided some relief for me. I use witch hazel and sea breeze one or the other should do the trick to my scalp after a real hard workout, this soothes my scalp and let's my pores breath and uncloggs dirt etc on the scalp. I add the witch hazel or sea breeze to a wash cloth and section off my hair and apply directly to scalp, after be sure to add leave in conditioner, moisturizer and eccential oils to avoid over dryness and keep hair moisturized.

I'm also researching on adding oils that contains menthol to my oil regimen to combat itchiness too, I think peppermint oil is one that contains menthol. I'm also looking into Sulfur which I was told combats dandruff and itchy scalp, but still reseraching on that to be sure it is healthy for my hair/scalp.

Just my 2cents.....
Mahogany_Bliss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:05pm
ditto..I'd like to know too. I can think about being hot and my scalp will start to sweat. I've been wearing my hair out for the past few months because weaves are hot and extremely itchy for me. I will seriously take down a bomb weave within a month. So I am looking for better options on how to ensure my scalp is getting completely clean when washing and how to ensure my closure will not continuously lift up. 
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:40pm
I work out 4-6 days per week and I usually cowash/poo every 3 days or so with curly hair in the summer.  In the fall/winter about once a week depending on activities.  To go more than 7 days without a cowash/rinse is unlikely for me.  You can use scalp spritzers during the week and I would suggest investing in a hooded dryer to dry your braids completely.  I prefer the freestanding hooded dryers for comfort.
Also, using nozzle attachments to concentrate diluted poo/conditioner on your scalp is recommended.

Edited by missyo67 - Aug 15 2011 at 2:41pm
Shadonna3333 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 2:44pm
I also suggest that you use a comb to scratch inbetween the tracks. Some people say that they perfer at rat tail comb but that hurts my scalp. I use the comb that has the metal prongs on the end of it with the plastic ball tips... It dosent hurt at all and it feels so good!!!! lol...
blkbuttafly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 3:12pm
co-wash, co-wash, co-wash. this helps me a lot

I run about 3k 2-3x a week and i find that having a curly install helps...that or kinky straight so you don't have to be flat ironing all the time. 
Deluxe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 3:54pm
I work out alot - 4,5, sometimes 6 times a week ranging from 10K runs, spinning to weights, etc...so I sweat ALOT. I wash my weave as if it were my hair, with shampoo and conditioner, every Friday.....then i sit under hooded dryer and make sure my braids are super dry. If it itches during week, i will either put oil in it (the braids and scalp) or I wash it sooner.

I have recently transitioned to U-part wigs, which allows me more flexibility to take off and wash hair more throughly, but even with sewin, I washed my hair in same way. Hope his helps.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic