Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives 2007
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Forum LockedSew in vs. glue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
ankorchick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sew in vs. glue
    Posted: Sep 06 2006 at 10:01pm
I am new to this and was wondering what the benefits and disadvantages of sewing in versus using glue or tape.  What do you think.  My main concern is my hair looking natural.  A close second is how long it lasts.  Right now, I am using glue and you know that black glue doesn't last long.  The first weave I had was a fusion that took almost every stitch of  hair I had out!  So, I'm kind of gunshy and that's why I've been using the black glue.

Thanks, in advance.
Sponsored Links

PElegance View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2006 at 11:12pm

First, I don't use the black glue anymore, because it is too hard too remove and it removes my hair with it.  It is a latex glue.  So for people allergic to latex it is also a no no. 

I use a clear/yellow silicone glue, either Vapon No Tape or Liquid Gold.  I use a tape over them called Protac. I think that this increases the longevity.  When I don't use tape I find that I am constantly trying to keep the edges from lifting especially with washing. The tape & silicone glues can be dissolved with an oily remover or pure acetone.  I have only experimented with this glue/tape for 3 months, but there are members here & the Hair Boutique that have used it longer. (up to 8 weeks)
   I personally would take a good flat sew in & avoid the risk of any glue damage. With sew ins you run the risk of tension damage r/t braids that are too tight. Where I live it seems to be too much to ask for to get a good flat sew in.  Bonded weaves will always be easier to get flatter.
DivaChick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 8:55am

In my opinion, sew-ins are the best for the hair. It is much less damaging than glue.  You still have to take care of your hair underneath a sew in by keeping it clean and moisturized. My experience with glue is that you cannot take care of your hair underneath or shampoo it because the weave will come out.

RICARDO View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 9:33am
Now thats a hard one because each has its advantages and disadvantages.  Sew ins when done right protect your hair and give your hair time from applying products and heat.   Disadvantage is for it to look most natural you have to leave some of your natural hair out and if your weave is straight you have to straighten your natural hair more often to blend better.  Sew ins last longer then glue and are much more secure.  Glue ins sometimes are more damaging to your hair unless you glue the hair to a stocking cap (when if this isnt done the right way is just as damaging as applying it directly to your hair).  Definately stay away from that black latex glue, go with LG.  Glue ins are quicker to do and are more ideal for when you are doing a tara cut weave.  Plus with a glue in your can mold your hair down before you glue the hair on this will avoid the "lumpy weave bumps".  Both have advatages and disadvantages you have to weight them out and see what works for you.
somethingnew View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 9:48am
i'm new to weaves and I'm still on my first install (and loving it) but I did research weaves thoroughly before getting one in.  I also interviewed 3 stylists before choosing one. They each gave me the advantages and disadvantages for getting a sew in vs. glue in.

Each of them told me that I was a good candidate for a sew-in because my own hair is healthy, a good length and I am stretching my relaxers and had a fair amount of new growth.  I was told that the sew in method would only make my hair better and give it a rest.  I wanted to give it a rest because it was just starting to show signs of stress because I'd been overwashing and blowdrying it due to my new workout schedule prior to my sew in.

They told me that glue ins are typically done on people with very short hair or people who change their styles often/temporary styles. All of them agreed that Glue was VERY BAD on the hair. No matter what type of glue. I even mentioned the LG because I'd read about it here and they said that overtime ALL glue is terrible on the hair. I liked their honesty. Since this is something they all agreed on. I took them at their word>

Initially I was going to get a style just for summer and thought about getting a glue in but opted to not do so because for me...common sense tells me that glue is very bad on the hair.

So I opted for the sew-in and so far so good. I think it's great with the EP Relaxed texture and because I'm stretching relaxers it just blends so well. I don't even have to work to blend my leave out hair. I also don't have to use heat on it more than once per week after washing it.  I don't flat iron my left out hair more than that and I don't have to. So it's thriving also and not breaking off at all.
I think that if someone goes with a silkier texture and has to work at blending and apply heat too often..that could be a real problem and cause breakage. So the type of hair you get is very important also IMO.

HTH

Edited by somethingnew - Sep 07 2006 at 12:39pm
relaxedblax View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 12:23pm

I am currently sporting a glue in.  Why?  Because it was cheaper, I am new to weaves and didn't know if I would like them and because I like to change my styles frequently.

Glued in weaves....
1. Are easier to get flat.
2. Take less time
3. Are cheaper
4. You can't wash your hair while it is in.
5. You cannot maintain your natural hair (well that is)
6. Glue may damage hair and scalp.

Sewn in weaves...

1. Cost more
2. Last longer.
3. you can maintain your hair well under them and keep up a good wash schedule.
4. Take longer.
5. Cause less damage or problems for hair and scalp.

So it is up to you and what you want to do and how long you are willing to keep the style.
amandita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 1:02pm
i vote for sew in with small braids!!!...or maybe a one time glue or perhaps a partial sew in and glue in...but if u do use glue use lg...i used the remover and it came out like magic...no damage at all( maybe over time but defintely not for a one time use, when done correctly)
ankorchick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 9:49pm
Thank you.  This helps.  I guess I 've been lucky because that black glue hasn't taken any of my hair out.  I've been taking the hair out really often, once every 7 to 10 days, and just cutting it the same way.  I have some LG one the way.  I ordered from Sherrie.  I'll use that while I research the stylists who do weave nearby.
smokeheadshop View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2006 at 9:55pm
Does anyone know if there are on-line illustrated or video instructions on adding individual extensions "for Black Hair?"  My daughter did my hair years ago, but forgot how to do it.  Now my hair is down and ready to go and I have to go to work tomorrow.  Can anyone help me out here?
DivaVocals View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2006 at 12:04am
Originally posted by smokeheadshop smokeheadshop wrote:

Does anyone know if there are on-line illustrated or video instructions on adding individual extensions "for Black Hair?"  My daughter did my hair years ago, but forgot how to do it.  Now my hair is down and ready to go and I have to go to work tomorrow.  Can anyone help me out here?
Welcome to the forum girl !!!Just a suggestion, you might want to repost this question as a seperate thread.. You will probably get more reponses that way..

Edited by DivaVocals - Sep 08 2006 at 12:05am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style