Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Sew in Lace Wig (stylesbyese)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
corenybay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corenybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sew in Lace Wig (stylesbyese)
    Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 9:11pm

What do you think about her instilation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dp5n19D8_Y

I really like it and I plan on doing it with my KS wig. What do you guys think? I really want to be able to put my hair up into a ponytail. And it just seems so easy to deal with. 

Sponsored Links

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2013 at 10:48pm
Umm the minute she showed that her edges (the leave out part) were maybe an inch or so long ... and all the rest of her hair long ... I knew that she has fallen victim to the same problems a lot of weave wearers have. In the back (she does not mention this) but you can see about 1 - 2 inches in width of broken off 'leave out' hair. Dead

She says 'this is weriod' ... but it's not weriod ... it is completely logical.

The worse part is that she says it was natural for quite some time and she just permed it so that means the edges are probably permanently stunted. What she says is that the edges JUST broke off from ironing it - but I don't believe this true. Maybe the iron added 'insult to injury' and broke it off MORE but I have seen that exact 'break pattern' for years. That damage is from wearing weave and leave the hair out.

What is the point of having a head of 12 inches of hair when the edges are always gonna be 1 -2 inches long around the entire perimeter?

Whenever I see this it makes my skin cringe especially around 6:49 .. because leaving your hair out like this whether it be a weave or a sew in LW is further damaging the hair so this way of managing your hair is not sustainable. (Can't do this forever or you will be bald around the edges!)

She says she is tender headed .. well that is not normal either. That comes from years of messing with your head so that eventually it BECOMES tender. The hair recently permed so putting up like this even for the evening .. is damaging it. I could not live in this girls skin because the discomfort and the bulk of the unit on top of that would be too much for me.

Sorry, but I think you should wear the units as they were designed to be worn. That is - apply adhesive on your skin so that your hairline is completely protected and can grow out healthy with the rest of your head of hair. Then once it is grown out stay away from the weaves etc.

(Aside from this umm it just looks like sooooo many Black women with a looooong head of weave hair ... fake looking.)

Not trying to offend. I am only giving my input so you don't have agree. Smile

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jul 05 2013 at 11:19pm
corenybay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote corenybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 12:09am

I don't understand. How does someones edges just disappear if it isn't because of the iron? How did she stunt the growth? I personally have average edges nothing to thick or thin. I do not get relaxers or put any heat to it. I'm all natural. With my lace install I plan on straightening my hair maybe once every two eeks and deep conditioning the day I do. What problems could I possibly run into.

Also, I like the look on her. I won't be wearing a 22 inch wig but I don't think it looks that fake. She is having fun with her hair. And that is also what I intend to do. But I searching for a healthier way.

Thanks for your reply. I look forward to more input. :]]]SmileSmileSmileSmile 

corenybay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corenybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 12:12am
Also is it even possible to permanently stunt hair growth?
Malexandre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Malexandre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 12:24am

Let me tell you how it is because I have done it.

In regard to damaging your leave out it is no different than wearing a weave with leave out or a u-part wig. It depends on how you take care of your leave out. If you find a texture that match your hair and you don’t need to flat iron, there shouldn’t be any problem.

Things you need to consider:

-You won’t be able to access your hair on a daily basis (now, it is the same as using glue or tape, and people have been successful keeping their hair moisturize under their wig).

-There will be a line of the demarcation where the wig will start if you decide to do a parting; it is not easy to get it right. It might seems like it s working for her but keep in mind this is a video. I don’t know how you wear your lace wig, but if you are used to wearing it behind your hairline then u should be fine.

- Because you will be removing the wig weekly you will have to re-do the braid more often than for a regular sew-in. The braids get looser faster

Now, it is your choice, you can experiment see how it works for u. It is a good alternative to a homemade wig because the lace and the hair on a lace wig is lighter than weft hair, less tension on your anchor braid.

corenybay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corenybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 12:57am

@Malexandre

Are you just telling me what I want to hear? Thank you so much for the reply. I didn't think about the less tension of a lace wig but that is a great point. I played around with it earlier today and I think I might be able to get at least one seamless part that hides the line of demarcation.

A few years a go I started really taking care of my hair and I'm really happy with it. I know if my leave out stunts some how I will be aware. I mean I'm on BHM I am obviously very curious and cautious about my hair. :]Thank you.

What do you do with your hair now? When you did this method did you wear it in a bun a lot? 

pg12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pg12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 9:22am
to make it clickable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dp5n19D8_Y ..at first I thought the sew in wouldn't work but it does for her..i just wish that she had more hair in front so that the fullness of the lace wig would appear to be more like her own hair instead of a weave but to have that wig for over 10 months and it is still very full looks like minimal shedding kudos to her =overall it is a very nice look for her Cool

Edited by pg12345 - Jul 06 2013 at 9:23am
adellehenri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adellehenri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 11:04am
I saw this video and loved how versatile it was. So I tried it. I used some braiding hair when braiding the anchor braid to reduce the tension on my real hair. I copied everything she did in the video. It was great I wore high buns an ponytails. Wearing my hair down looked great. The only con was that I couldn't have access o my scalp the same way I do with a reg wig. But I plan on doing this for 2 weeks at a time. Do it! Try and see how it works.
corenybay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corenybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 12:33pm
Awesome I so glad people have tried this and really liked it. I will try it as soon as my current braids start to loosen up. And hopefully I will post some pictures. So excited.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2013 at 1:46pm

The edges 'progressively' disappear over many years.

I am not gonna tell you what you want to hear like the others though. So do not wear the unit behind your hairline … this will damage your natural hair (perm or mot) over time.

First it's just the first few millimeters and then the damage goes back and back .. progressively.

If she monkeys/manipulates the edges with perm, keeping it pulled back because she has to make that long braid around the perimeter (as shown) our otherwise keep the hair pulled back in a ponytail/topknot ... all this stress damages the roots of the hair making each hair shaft narrower and narrower so that it can't grow very long and the growth that does exist is pretty fragile so if she flat irons or monkey with it ... she will start losing hair.

I don't know how old you are but I am 58 years old and I've seen it all.

When I was little, all there was were hot combs so my mother pressed our hair. They when I was about 9 or 10 suddenly my mother came home with this new product that could straighten our hair. It was called ‘Curl Free’ and though it was designed to straighten White people’s 3c hair .. it did do a little something for our hair. J

Suddenly wham … the PERM for Black hair came on the market and rest is history. When I was about 30 more or less the WEAVE came on the market and the rest is history with that.

Of course, in came the Black Power movement so by age 16 I went to the barber shop and had it all cut off and wore a tiny afro til I was about 46 years old.

So yeah .. I have watched a lot of my friends and sister and alllll the zillions of problems over the years. They were always stealing from Peter to pay Paul in terms of juggling different techniques on their hair.

Again SOME people have naturally stronger hair than other people and so if they take care it .. it will keep .. But how do you know if you have that kind of hair?  Eventually it will succumb to PROBLEMs by the time you hit 40 or so.

Everyone is different but all of my non-natural gf that wore perms and/or weaves their entire lives … now have major hair problem now that they are in their 50’s and 60’s. EVERY ONE.

Of course, none of them wanted to relinquish the perm/weave and would spend thousands of dollars in upkeep and conditioners .. but the THICKEST AFROS I saw when I was young are now thin, short., permed heads now (fighting off the gray with chemicals) so they are messed up for good. So all that .. was very short-sighted. But they wanted to look like everyone else.

If your hair is natural and long.. I say – STAY AWAY from perms and weaves – but yes you can Press your hair. The problem is when you use the weave to put in hair and have the ‘leave out’ day after day .. that puts stress on your edges  and it puts stress on your hair where the weave or lace hits it. It’s rub, rub , rub ally day. So I would say stay away from this ‘leave out’  procedure altogether.

Either wear a full lace wig which COVERS your hairline completely (no glue on your hairline –just put glue on your skin) and play with the wigs. Or wear your hair natural and be done with it.

One or the other IS sustainable and your hair as it is will last you the rest of your life.

Try the BRAID OUT method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teNbs-JYWV8 You just need the Products to moisturize your hair. Yes, it takes time .. but the results are worth it if you can be MY AGE and still have a head full of your own hair – not hemming and hawing trying to hide a bald spot every few months, avoid the rain and the ocean, put in a new weave to fill in the thinning areas etc. Like I said – I have been watching my friends deal with this for years and years.

This is my advice. But you don’t have to take my word. Contact any dematologists worth his salt or even read online info and educate yourself before you do what everyone else is doing because eventually (if you are lucky!) you will age  and all that stuff you do to your hair ... will add up on you.
Don’t you want to look GREAT when you are older? Tongue

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic