Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives > Hair Growth Archives 2009
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedSevere Matting!! please help

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
mznigeria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe Matting!! please help
    Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 1:43pm
hi ladies,

My sister's hair is a tangled mess after relaxing her hair! I think my mom mushed her hair too much when she was rinsing out the relaxer and neutralizing and my sister made it worse cause that girl doesn't know anything about hair. She used pantene conditioner initially and i think she made the matting worse. So this is what I did:

I slapped on some elucence conditioner on the tangled area, baggyed it and sent her to bed. This morning I took off the baggy, but did not rinse out the conditioner i placed it and a "bun" and sent her to school.

My questions are 1) since she just relaxed and the conditioner i used was a moisturizing one and not a light protein, will her hair be mushy when i rinse it out this evening? should i slap on some ors replenhing pak to balance the protein before i try to detangle it. 2) how the heck do you ladies detangle severely matted hair. I mean all of her ends are tangled into two big clumps.

Her hair is past bsl and the clump, if cut, would make her less than neck length (that's how bad it is). Please give me some suggestions because this girl will be devastated if she has to chop off her hair.

Thank you!

Eti
Sponsored Links

tru_blu09 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 1:53pm
try some conditioner mixed with oils and try to detangle it with your fingers.... i think adding protein would balance it, maybe it was mushy because of the lack of moisture? mabe the relaxed ladies will chime in
loolalooh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 1:55pm
Umm ... wow.

To number 2:

I would say, soak her hair in cholesterol-oil conditioner and take your time detangling her hair bit by bit.  Use the end of a rattail comb to pick through.  I'm just going by what I do when I get severe tangles.

Bumpin' for more replies!
mznigeria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 2:02pm
thanks you guys.

loolalooh- how long does it usually take you to do this?
mznigeria View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 2:23pm
bump

more responses would be awesome,

TIA
loolalooh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 2:23pm
^^^ LOL.  Umm ... the last time I had serious tangles it took hours.  And that's nothing compared to some horror stories I've heard (took them 4 days).  Patience is key.  It's worth saving the hair.
candies View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 2:31pm
Glycerine is another option you can use on the matted area.  As loolah said, use the end of the rat tail comb and pick through gently.  If you get really tight knots use a pin.

Cutting should be the absolute last resort.  Even if it takes a few days to totally detangle it's worth it.
Fashionista922 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 2:42pm
This happened to me a few years ago after getting a relaxer. I spent hours and hours trying to get it out. but it was matted beyond repair and i had to cut it off. i cried soooo much that dayCryOuch luckily it was only in the front so it looked like i got a bunch of layers..

your best bet is to apply a ton of conditioner and just pick it out bit by bit with your fingers. just try to work the conditioner into to matt and pull it out a strand at a time. the more patience you have the more hair you will be able to save! HTH i feel your pain
Dark & Lovely View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2009 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by mznigeria mznigeria wrote:

thanks you guys.

loolalooh- how long does it usually take you to do this?

Hi MzNigeria,

Well I can help you with your problem.  I have 4a/4b hair that is all natural that I've been transitioning for 3+years.  I just had the same problem and I went to 2 salons and they both told me I would have to cut my hair.  I refused to do this because it took me too long to get it this length (APL'ish).  So don't frate...I got the answer.  It took me seven days to do it, but I'm glad I did because I kept my hair.  But this product works beyond belief.

Ms. Jessie's conditioner.  You may have to order it if you can't find it at a beauty salon.  I had tried everything and when I say everything...I mean everything.

The key to detangling 4a/4b hair is that it has to be damp, not wet/not dry...but damp.  If it's too wet it will just break, if it's too dry of course it will break as well.  You have to put the conditioner on the damp hair, let it set for a couple of minutes, then pick through it with a needle from the end to the root.this is the time consuming part, but if you love hair like I do, then you'll take your time and section your way through it.  I parted my hair the best I could and worked with that section until it untangled.  Her is a pic of my hair.  Believe me Ms. Jessie's conditioner will work.  It's pricy but well worth it.  I have never ran across another product like it.  It really agrees with 4a/4b hair.The picture on the left is my hair a few months before the matted incident, the picture on the right is my hair after the matted incident.  I lost a lot of hair but I didn't loose it all...LOL!!!So I'm glad I took my time for those seven days. It was a learning experience.  After you get it untangled, remeber to braid the hair loosely and rubberband the ends before washing, this will help tremendouslyWink

Hang in there.  You can pm me for my number if you need me to walk you through it or if you need instructions.  God Bless.

Edited by Dark & Lovely - Feb 23 2009 at 8:13pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic