Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSerena Williams is not blaming the girl but...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:31am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

that's not what happened to the girl though.
often times it seems as though women do not want to admit that sometimes a victim can act unwisely.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if it didn't serve to defame rape victims. The entire reason rape shield laws were established was to prevent focusing on what the victim could have done to prevent the crime rather than focusing on why the perpetuator committed the crime. If the victim had any culpability, people tend to doubt the occurrence of the rape. Rapists know this, so who do they rape? Strippers, prostitutes, promiscuous women (who will believe them?), or close friends or family (they are less likely to report), or they join the military (the military isn't prosecuting rapists). American society is apologetic for rape.
Sponsored Links

nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:33am

im not speaking about the hypothetical
i am speaking about this specific case in which the victim acted unwisely. not more unwisely than the accused and convicted of course, but there is a modicum of culpability 
i can agree that victims can act unwisely (we're all human) and that people on both sides need to be aware of and take responsibility for their actions. 

for instance, that girl (and any others), shouldn't have been drinking-- it's against the law.  she could've hurt herself or someone else if behind the wheel of a car. 

however, in a case like this, i feel that while it's an important detail, it's one that's used side track and (on a level for some people) justify what happened to her.  like if you didn't want to get raped, you shouldn't have been ______. 
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

that's not what happened to the girl though.
often times it seems as though women do not want to admit that sometimes a victim can act unwisely.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if it didn't serve to defame rape victims. The entire reason rape shield laws were established was to prevent focusing on what the victim could have done to prevent the crime rather than focusing on why the perpetrator committed the crime. If the victim had any culpability, people tend to doubt the occurrence of the rape. Rapists know this, so who do they rape? Strippers, prostitutes, promiscuous women (who will believe them?), or close friends or family (they are less likely to report), or they join the military (the military isn't prosecuting rapists). American society is apologetic for rape.
I agree wholeheartedly.  
loveandpeace1984 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:35am
You should read the IC, they are blaming the girl as well. And of course america is a rape culture, is there anything original in this culture besides raping people of resources, people and etc?
sexibeach View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

I get what she means..but it is a lose/lose for anyone to speak some reality into the issue even when they give a dash of compassion...people have to be responsible for themselves to avoid certain situations. Sh!t like this happens...it is nothing new..we hear it about it all the time in the news. Not everyone has your best interest. Let's work on some defensive strategies to avoid these kinds of situation...Be smarter..and yes parents should beat into their kids' heads about social safety. 

exactly i agree, and I am not on no soap box like most folks in this thread, but that's what i'm thinking.. its a very regular scenario unfortunately, and NO not once have I ever found myself getting sloppy drunk with raging moron's like high school boys or whatever they are..and no i wouldn't be in that situation i think about that kind of chit after hearing all kinds of jury trials of crime, that's natural for me.. i'm always thinking is this a teaching point for me to share with my boys when i get home, to teach they asses.. i was raising two black men i don't want them hung up in the system, so I took advantage of what I learned for them to know and myself.  Just read the news.. 

somebody knock on my door, I DON'T open, if you weren't invited to my house,  i look thru the peep hole in the door and if i don't know you, I SPEAK thru the door WTF is it?. too many rape trials too, folks just open the door and let the criminal in, not my house.. but i find the crime was horrible, and disgusting but after that i don't take it personal that I would be upset about Serena's personal opinion that's her fcking right.. I did a trial very similar to this they slipped date rape drug in her drink, but the chick purposely drank a 5th of gin, so nope I can't relate to drinking a 5th in one night. 

its amazing to me, its just like white folks that want to cry and think its a shame that so and so died, after his ass decided to go in nature and hang out with bears.. then they want to cry because the bear ate his ass.. 

Edited by sexibeach - Jun 19 2013 at 11:42am
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:43am
TOLD yall about that heaux.

willing to allow her graceful skills on the court--- release her from all her other wrong doings.

mehhhhhhhhh

to her and the matted Rat on her head.
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:43am
SEXI NAAAAAAAOOOOOOO
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:47am
^^^ i am too done with you!! !!!!!
Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

SEXI NAAAAAAAOOOOOOO

No one is coming for Sexi.  

It really is typical view. People can't relate to culpable victims, but implicating even culpable victims makes rape prosecutions difficult for everyone. The easiest rape trials involve Black men that rape White women. Those conviction rates are substantial, but rapes cases involving Black women have very low conviction rates. Of course, no one cares.  
FarraFace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 11:52am
STAHPPIT!
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
  Share Topic