Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedSengalese Twists--Good Idea?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
sgoofi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 10:18am
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but I did micro senegalese twists with wet n wavy hair.

If I could go back I would get them SLIGHTLY bigger (as I don't like my braids too big). It was a huge problem trying to take out the front because the braider parted too small.

Sorry it's so big.

Sponsored Links

Lyoness View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 2:03pm
I watched two youtube videos (I've put the links in my july album) they taught me what I needed to know about a DIY job.. Which means other than buying 3 bags of Kanekolon(sp?) hair that was all the expense... I only used 2 1/2 bags @ 1.79 each...

It took me two days to do.. I'd advise you not to do them too long ..they are weighty!! You can seal the ends with water or leave them out of you like.. I sealed them cos they kept unraveling

erm maintenance.. I lurked in the braid section n took their tips down... I just moisturise with my normal spray (mane n tail/ aphogee) and cover with a scarf at night.. I haven't washed with a shampoo yet.. just plain ole water.. (I'm worried about stuff collecting-dont ask) I'm taking them out next weekend after two weeks for a break before my next hair plan..

I like them though a nice alternative to plain ole plaits.. go for it!

amaka89 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 12:26am

sqoofi: yours came out lovely....i never thought of doing them wavy like that....its almost like micros

kinkycurly: i want to see your senegalese twist in your fotki but its locked :( so i msged u in your guestbook. But the one in your avatar is too cute...i seriously want to try it. Now im stuck between choosing kikny twist or sengalese twist?

To all the ladies on here: Do think that both type of twist are better than box braids breakage-wise? I can imagine that the hair wont be so tangled as it would be with regular braids. Anbody have an input?

traphael81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 8:05am
How Long can you keep the senegalese twist in for? Do they unravel  or loosen more then kinky twist? I'm planning on doing them at the End of August.
stacymo28 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by amaka89 amaka89 wrote:

sqoofi: yours came out lovely....i never thought of doing them wavy like that....its almost like micros

kinkycurly: i want to see your senegalese twist in your fotki but its locked :( so i msged u in your guestbook. But the one in your avatar is too cute...i seriously want to try it. Now im stuck between choosing kikny twist or sengalese twist?

To all the ladies on here: Do think that both type of twist are better than box braids breakage-wise? I can imagine that the hair wont be so tangled as it would be with regular braids. Anbody have an input?

I really haven't seen any difference between the two as far as shedding.  I never experienced breakage with braids or twists because I make sure to keep them moisturized and not too tight especially around the hairline and nape area. 

The twists I have now were really tight when they were first done but not enough to cause any serious damage so I'm not sure why you're worried about breakage.  If they are done and maintained correctly you should have hair growth not breakage.

Edited by stacymo28 - Jul 30 2008 at 5:33pm
stacymo28 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by traphael81 traphael81 wrote:

How Long can you keep the senegalese twist in for? Do they unravel  or loosen more then kinky twist? I'm planning on doing them at the End of August.

I personally try not to keep braids of any kind in for more than 4-6 weeks.  The senegalese twists can last up to that long but you will have alot of new growth by then and would probably want them touched up by anyway.
KinkyCurly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by amaka89 amaka89 wrote:

Hey, I left my password in your guestbook. I can't really give you any advantages between kinky and Senegalese twists, as I've only experienced the Senegalese twists. But I will say that for me, because I did mine micro-sized, they are very comparable to micro braids. Whether or not twists cause less breakage than braids, I think it more depends on the way they are put in and how they are maintained. As stacymo said, you don't want to put in braids or twists that are too tight and you also need to keep them moisturized. Re-doing your edges every 2-3 weeks is also very important in preventing breakage around your hairline.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by traphael81 traphael81 wrote:

As far as loosening at the roots, they shouldn't be much different than kinky twists. Unraveling at the ends all depends on how they were put in... whether they were knotted at the ends or dipped in hot water or dipped in hot water with perm rods. I twisted mine to the end and let them unravel on their own because that's the look I was going for. Hope that helps. Let us know how yours turn out!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by kalenjin kalenjin wrote:

How do you prevent your natural hair from curling and being a mess when you have the twists??? mine look a mess as my hair is 4b...

I'm not sure I understand your question either. Do you mean at the roots when they're first put in or after they've been in for a while?
kalenjin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2008 at 9:48am
I meant the ends....it gets all frizzy when i wash. I am thinking of doing senegalese twists with kinky hair...the marley one if i can find it in my bss. I will also make them a little longer and not curl the ends
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic