BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Self Taught or training?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
kandyse1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kandyse1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2014 at 11:50am
my mom used to be a hair stylist before she developed arthritis, so she gives me pointers... but other than that self taught and yt taught me a lot...
Sponsored Links

ExotiqBeautii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ExotiqBeautii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 1:03am
self taught. started braiding hair at the boys and girls club to practice on people when i was like 12, then i moved on to doing my moms and sisters hair. i remember trying to do some cornrows with extensions on myself one day after school when i was in the 9th grade. i didnt finish until about 5 oclock the next morning. i was very determined to finish it lol. i didnt get any sleep and was falling asleep in my last period and when i went home that day, i went straight to bed. woke up at 7 that night and thought i was late for school (it was winter so the mornings were still dark) and i ran downstairs fully dressed telling my dad i was late and he was looking at me like i was crazy lol. he was like "late for what?!" i told him "school!" he busted out laughing lol. my first "weave" was when i was about 14. it was for homecoming. i never new about weaves or anything and i asked this girl if her sister could do it for me, but the plans fell through so i went to the bss and i didn't know what i was getting. i got 2 packs of 14 and 16 inch hair (the cheapest synthetic kind) and glued that mess in when i got home for homecoming that night. i will admit, it was fly as a kite and i was feeling myself. i was hooked after that and got better overtime, learning how to do installs. i did a lot of hair and got popular when i moved to London. I had a client that suffered from trichotillomania  and would do her installs, sometimes adding a frontal on it, depending how she felt having her hair that month. She had no hair in the main part of the crown area, so I had to make my braid patterns precise so the tracks wouldn't slip out. here are the pics of her installs and some befores.

photo SAM_0532.jpg photo SAM_0533.jpg photo SAM_0534.jpg photo SAM_0536.jpg photo SAM_0540.jpg photo SAM_0538.jpg

jadorenaturality92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jadorenaturality92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 3:30am
Self taught and still learning. Youtube is my best friend. I live in the middle of nowhere while I'm in college and I don't trust just anybody to be up in my head so I'd rather do it myself. If I mess it up I can only be mad at myself. My big sister is a cosmetologist and she kept me looking right so that standard is set and must be met cause she will ride my life if my wig is leaning. 
iyawo814 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iyawo814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 5:43pm

Self taught via YT and BHM. When I had a short cut I was always at the shop (for hours) so I would stand right next to my stylist and watch her do other people's hair. That also taught me how to style my short cut like a pro.

MsBMW View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:14am
I wish I had the patience...I tried to braid my hair once but my arms got tired..LOL
pepsi25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 11:42am
My mother taught me how to braid when I was a child, I use to braid everyones hair from siblings to friends kids to boyfriends and then when I was a teen I started curling my big cousins hair.

I always had long thick hair so when it started to thin out I use to pay my beautician to sew a couple tracks in for me but then she went from $10 a track to some crazy number because of a salon change so I was like I can do this myself so I stole her braid pattern and sewed a couple tracks in to add thickness but when I took it down I had ALOT of breakage so I started making my own clip in's literally super glued tracks together and then super glued my wig clips to the end..I was still going to the shop for doobies...However me and my stylist eventualy ended up falling out because she would over book and I have no patient to give my full Saturdays to the salon.

I got fustrated and said i'm going natural and did so..but I would pay this African Lady to install for me but she couldn't finish me off by triming or cutting bangs so I would go to this guy to trim me and cut my bangs (but he never did it how I invisioned it) Plus the hassel of driving from her house to his shop was redick! So I started wacking on my own bangs It wasn't my hair what did I have to loose? (got pretty good at it!) I did the big chop 6mths after going natural so I lived under sew ins for about 6-8mths but I noticed although I had great hair growth my Edges were suspect as hell. So I youtubed a couple diy upart wigs and started making my own wigs (best decession of my life!) I snatch my wig off everynight I can scratch and wash my hair when I want and nobody can tell it isn't a sew in! Within that I started playing with color by doing test strips. And now I'm confident I can do U-parts, L-parts (haven't tried one with a closure but that's soon to come!)

As far as make-up my little sister taught me years ago (with make up you just have to practice) If I have patients I can hook myself up to the tenth power- just need to get stronger at applying my lashes..

But pretty much My Mom, You Tube, and the rest was trial and error -

MrsJHorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsJHorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 12:01pm
Mom was a cosmetologist as well. She couldn't do her own weaves and taught me braid patterns/installs about 18 years ago. Over the last two years I've used YT to tweak some things here and there and put more tools in my toolbox, but otherwise self taught through YT.
trendsetta25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trendsetta25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:25am
self taught...thanks to experimenting techniques and youtube
french_vanilla1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote french_vanilla1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:57pm
Self taught for braids and weaves, youtube for everything else. Still can't install a closure to save my life though lol
HowardAlumAKA View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowardAlumAKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 6:29pm
I want to learn so bad.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System