Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Seattle Announces $15 Minimum Wage, Highest In US
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seattle Announces $15 Minimum Wage, Highest In US

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ragincajin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by gabi03 gabi03 wrote:

Sigh... this won't end well here for small businesses. A bunch of entitled spoiled white brats who want to work less but stick their hands out for more money. With tips some of these folks make up to $20 an hour excluding medical and 401k contributions by their employer. You can make less than $15 and live, eat, and play in the city, but honestly here its greed, they want more and more, but they don't wanna put in the work. Not true for everyone but here in Seattle, because some really do struggle but there are programs here to assist you with food, medical, education, training... I've been on that side of the fence, I know the struggle but it can be done. Once again, here in Seattle its not out of necessity, its out of entitlement imo.

I can't wait until we can vote this jackass mayor out. 

Interesting take.
I once worked a case that had me practically living in the area for six months. Now this was before the Four Seasons Residences, Escala and the other high end towers that have been built fairly recently, so it was off the Bellevue I went.
Anyway...son of a bit*h. I've never seen do many high dollar folk doing their absolute best to look like $1.15. Seriously.
But the thing that struck me most was the attitude. It was a strange mix of laid back and fu*k you look at me.
Just weird.
Sponsored Links

Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 11:44pm
$15.00 can live, play and eat in Seattle....You need to write a manual cause I want to know how???
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by ragincajin ragincajin wrote:

Sigh... this won't end well here for small businesses. A bunch of entitled spoiled white brats who want to work less but stick their hands out for more money. With tips some of these folks make up to $20 an hour excluding medical and 401k contributions by their employer. You can make less than $15 and live, eat, and play in the city, but honestly here its greed, they want more and more, but they don't wanna put in the work. Not true for everyone but here in Seattle, because some really do struggle but there are programs here to assist you with food, medical, education, training... I've been on that side of the fence, I know the struggle but it can be done. Once again, here in Seattle its not out of necessity, its out of entitlement imo.

Interesting take.
I once worked a case that had me practically living in the area for six months. Now this was before the Four Seasons Residences, Escala and the other high end towers that have been built fairly recently, so it was off the Bellevue I went.
Anyway...son of a bit*h. I've never seen do many high dollar folk doing their absolute best to look like $1.15. Seriously.
But the thing that struck me most was the attitude. It was a strange mix of laid back and fu*k you look at me.
Just weird.

I hate bellevue and you read the stank on most of them perfectly
demilee27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote demilee27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 11:56pm
So if min wage goes up, does that mean county, government and non profit job wages will go up? Because Im gonna be pissed if it doesn't. That will mean that I spent 3 years in school to get a masters degree, racked up tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, just to be making $2 more than minimum wage??? I might as well not go for my PhD... I'll just wait a few years because the min wage will increase again and I wouldn't have to incur any debt
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Interesting take.
Just weird.

Damn but that's the word for it too- stank. Just weird.
gabi03 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gabi03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Interesting take.
Just weird.

LOL Pretty much, I avoid the east side like the plague unless I need something from Bellevue Square. 
rell85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rell85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:22am
That's good but im sure they won't get 40hrs anymore so things will work itself out.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by demilee27 demilee27 wrote:

So if min wage goes up, does that mean county, government and non profit job wages will go up? Because Im gonna be pissed if it doesn't. That will mean that I spent 3 years in school to get a masters degree, racked up tens of thousands of dollars in student loans, just to be making $2 more than minimum wage??? I might as well not go for my PhD... I'll just wait a few years because the min wage will increase again and I wouldn't have to incur any debt

If that doctorate of letters is calling your name, by all means, answer the call. But first, cool your jets Demilee and recall your Econ 101. Then...get ready to watch the slide.

Remember, government produces nothing. This is, at its core, another unfunded mandate. And where pray tell does private industry mitigate potential losses for compliance with the regulatory environment's rulings, policy implementations, etc.? Why on the pass through to the consumer of course.

Look at your cable bill for example. Find the place where you're paying to help them recoup their costs for the regulations they are forced to comply with- such as the franchise fee. In short, no company is going to eat this. You are.

In the beginning, people will be excited and will think that they're getting more. Then...they'll pay more because everything will cost more. And in the end, they'll be exactly where they started.

Get ready for the wave-cum-tsunami when the motion begins. Believe this...the rich...will remain and grow ever richer. And the poor, as Jesus said, "you will have amongst you always."

Shareholders don't give a single fu*k about a living wage. They are about profits. As William Henry Vanderbilt said, "The public be damned!"

gabi03 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabi03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:55am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

why do you think it's entitlement @ gabi?  that's still like 2k after taxes if you work full time....that's not a lot of money.  what's the price of the avg 1 bedroom apt there?  if you make over 1200 a month or something like that you can't qualify for EBT so idk what assistance is going to help a working single person with no children.    

Avg rent depends on where you live, I've seen 1 bedrooms anywhere from $650 in the southend to up to $2500 around south lake union. I live inside the city and have never paid less than $820 for rent, and I'd say thats pretty average around here for a decent apartment. You can qualify for EBT with an income up to about $1600 a month here, I used to be on it, single with no children. I didn't get much but I shopped smart with coupons and could make it work. 

The entitlement statement came from my experiences with some of the people here, mostly white kids ages 18 - 30. Those who are black or latino are happy to see this increase but we've also known how to use resources available to us to be able to live. I guess for us the struggle isn't new but for these young white kids they aren't used to having to struggle a little bit and now they're mad they can't get what they want and that they have to work for it.  
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 1:00am
ok I get what you mean...so all the young white people are having sticker shock at the cost of life so things just had to change immediately.

SF minimum wage is 10.55 so it will probably be at $15 6 years from now(did i read it would reach that in Seattle by 2020?) and SF's unemployment rate has dropped and is below the state + national average...the increase didn't have a negative impact on employment or the local economy.

Edited by ms_wonderland - May 02 2014 at 1:18am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair