Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Seasonal Shedding and Biotin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Bootiful Cream

Author
RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seasonal Shedding and Biotin
    Posted: Sep 27 2012 at 1:03pm
My hair tends to start shedding in mid summer/early autumn (July-October) like crazy. Does anyone else go through seasonal shedding? I've decided to start taking 1,000 mcg of biotin once a day to help cut down the shedding...how long should I wait to see results?  
Sponsored Links

bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:53pm
Is that enough? I take 10,000 mcg daily....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:46pm

It's been enough for me so far. I bumped it up to 2,000 mcg daily for about a week to see if there was any difference. It only made me have weird dreams.

Belladva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 10:07pm
I did a black tea rinse on my hair for the first time yesterday and it cut down on my shedding tremendously.
LonghairLuci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LonghairLuci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 9:42am
I started putting softnfree on my ends every night and that has helped keep my hair from breaking...I got the idea from this ebook called 7 myths about black hair on amazon...and my trichologist. My trichologist swears by softnfree curl activator...it is actually a water based moisturizer and it works wonders!!!
GoldieLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:25am
It will take about a month to adjust into your system, and 1,000 mcg is the recommended dose. 10k is overkill, and with any supplement raises the risks of severe side effects. Also, your body naturally tries to dispose of excess amounts of vitamins as a healthy response and prevention from over absorption. Unless you just enjoy having expensive urine... Stick to the recommended dosage. BTW, frequent deep conditioning will help to reduce unnecessary shedding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by GoldieLocks GoldieLocks wrote:

It will take about a month to adjust into your system, and 1,000 mcg is the recommended dose. 10k is overkill, and with any supplement raises the risks of severe side effects. Also, your body naturally tries to dispose of excess amounts of vitamins as a healthy response and prevention from over absorption. Unless you just enjoy having expensive urine... Stick to the recommended dosage. BTW, frequent deep conditioning will help to reduce unnecessary shedding.

I've been sticking to the 1,000 mcg daily,  deep condtitiong on a weekly basis with both light protein and moisturizing. Once a month, I do the hardcore protein followed by moisturizing. It's just with me, my hair goes through a crazy shedding phase form late summer through fall.  
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:33pm
what helped me this season was adding black strap molasses to my deep conditioner.  i compared my "usual" small bundle of shed hair to hair after trying this BSM (black strap molasses).. i shed at least 1/4 of what i used to.  Plus, BSM is cheap, and makes the hair (especially 4b/c hair ) softer.

also, RedSox, if you plan on taking the biotin..try taking a b complex with it.  biotin is part of the bcomplex family.. if taken alone?  sometimes, many people have acne outbreaks.. the bcomplex as a whole buffers this side effect.

the higher the biotin dosage? the higher the bcomplex dosage.

Edited by femmemuscleisback - Jan 31 2013 at 10:36pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by femmemuscleisback femmemuscleisback wrote:

what helped me this season was adding black strap molasses to my deep conditioner.  i compared my "usual" small bundle of shed hair to hair after trying this BSM (black strap molasses).. i shed at least 1/4 of what i used to.  Plus, BSM is cheap, and makes the hair (especially 4b/c hair ) softer.

also, RedSox, if you plan on taking the biotin..try taking a b complex with it.  biotin is part of the bcomplex family.. if taken alone?  sometimes, many people have acne outbreaks.. the bcomplex as a whole buffers this side effect.

the higher the biotin dosage? the higher the bcomplex dosage.

This has been my intake for the past month: Vitamin B complex (has 15% biotin) plus 1,000mcg of biotin, about 3,000 mcg total of MSM and drinking about 64- 100 oz daily. I just started using Brer Rabbit BSM ($3.49 for a 12 oz bottle) in my deep moisturizing conditioner (honey, VCO, BSM) sometime last week and will be using it again tonight in my DC mix.
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by RedSoxtober RedSoxtober wrote:

This has been my intake for the past month: Vitamin B complex (has 15% biotin) plus 1,000mcg of biotin, about 3,000 mcg total of MSM and drinking about 64- 100 oz daily. I just started using Brer Rabbit BSM ($3.49 for a 12 oz bottle) in my deep moisturizing conditioner (honey, VCO, BSM) sometime last week and will be using it again tonight in my DC mix.

well dayumm!!LOL

Looks like you're 6 years ahead me! It took me that long to finally find a regimen that works.  you are well on your way, Red sox.  Smile

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic