Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

School-to-Prison Pipeline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 1:17am
there's no fitting in or being well behaved

when it comes to institutional racism

they are not building the prisons for remediation, they are building it for commerce

and they have the full political, social and economic backing to fill them ... it's delusional to think getting caught up can be avoided by "behaving"

Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 1:21am
eugenics and/or population control is not going to help the black condition in America

in fact population is one of the leading reasons that the hispanic voice is being heard despite *add long list*

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 2:53am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Printer ink.. according to to what I've seen and read, celibacy is asking too much. Ermm

what you've said though is only part of the problem. Though. A lot of these kids lack home training and a parental figure that pushes them to strive for more in school. I mean, administration can only do so much when the parents don't care whether or not their kid graduates or gets in trouble. Learning to respect other and follow the rules starts at home.

This.  it's not just the school.  I've seen parents that fight for their kids.  And I mean fight in a good way.  It's a beautiful thing.  I remember reading a situation where a mom was fighting for her chile not to be placed in special ed.  There was nothing wrong with him she insisted.  Because she leveled such pressure...they gave the boy more tests etc.  Turns out he was simply bored.  He was then placed in advanced classes. 

Not saying that this is what it is all the time but alot of the time...It's not because the child is in some way retarded.  They are usually bored.   Either because they were not challenged enough or because they don't understand the material because they were pushed ahead when they should not have been. 

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 3:03am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I don't agree that homeschooling is the answer.  I think that out of the many parents who have entertained the idea, only a scant few understand what that entails. 
- Even if you homeschool your child, you STILL have to make sure they are meeting the minimum education standards set forth by the state, every year.
- Few parents can teach every subject, so parents who are deficient in language arts or math, for example, have to be able to find a tutor to teach their children these subjects.
- Some parents have told me that they never and their kids will never use the Pythagorean theorem in their lives in the real world.  Yes, the parent may not, but what if their child wants to become an architect?  A computer engineer?  Then that parent just deprived their child of a chance to prepare for their future.
- When I was a kid, my mom would have black history time set aside for me to learn about who I was because the school wouldn't teach it.  I would go so far as to open a cram school for black children to learn about their culture and history like a lot of other communities have.

"Zero Tolerance Policies" are a total joke that pretty much allows administration to be lazy and not actually deal with the root causes of the problems.  It absolves them of making tough decisions.  With all the rules kids have today, I don't think I would have survived school.  I also find it completely unnecessary for police to intervene in schools.  Police being there just allows for bad behavior to persist.

Ppp, the system IS to blame.  Even if the parent was trying to do the best the possibly could, a child in the inner city will NEVER receive the same education as a child from the suburbs.  The more money you invest in up-to-date materials and the best teachers, the better your school.  That's a fact. 

I cosign this.  We all remember that Oprah episode.

I was listening to a BTR show once and this lady tole a story about how she pushed her chile so hard in school because she wanted her to go to college and have better.  Chile was a A student and errything.  So she said her daughter starts Uni and she calls her one day crying and upset.  She said that she despite her being an A student was unprepared for University...she was not at that level.  She tried to stick it out but there was so much she didn't know and she felt like such a failure in class.  She said she had study groups but she was embarrassed to go because "she didn't know sh*t" and folks looked at her like "how do you not know this?  this is basic ______."  Her knowledge...despite being an A student was no where near where it should have been. 

Iono....I mean...I just...iono...
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 3:11am
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

This thread might be the one to get me banned so I'll say what I want and dip.  OP is on point and I have experienced exactly what is described when my kids attended school districts that were over 95% white and the current city school where most of the doctors and professors associated with the university send their children.  

My son was suspended for 5 days from kindergarten.  KINDERGARTEN!  For roughly snatching his paper back from a little white girl who was teasing him and trying to look at his grade AFTER the teacher had already told her to stop bothering him.   As he grabbed for the paper he accidentally hit her face.   Even the teacher said she deserved it but the Principal and the Superintendent were far more swayed by the white tears against the big black brute 5yr old.  Yt kids in the school did far worse and on purpose and didn't even get sent to time out much less removed for 5 days and have to have a hearing to return. 

My daughter in the high school was accused of stealing because she was in the bathroom on a hall pass at the time two white girls robbing lockers were counting their bounty.   The white girls weren't even questioned, my daughter was suspended having none of the stolen property in hand.  She had just stared at the school and they assumed she was from the projects that border the district.  I had to raise holy hell in that school to let them know my daughter was an upper middle class black kid living in a better neighborhood than every teacher there.  I fckn hate them.   

Fck everybody who does get it to be honest.  

When my son was in the 1st grade, he was a very quiet, shy little boy, but very smart and LOVES math. He wouldn't say much other than shake his head yes or no to questions being asked. He'd do whatever work/homework that was required.....shouldn't be a problem, right?

Well, the teacher (yt) had a problem with that, telling me "he's too quiet for his age and "he always plays by himself" and the school took it upon themselves to send him to a counselor, without my knowledge, took my daughter who was attending the same school and was in the 2nd grade, out of her class for an hour and put around her brother during his class time to see if he'd talk.....again without my knowledge....I wasn't consulted NOT ONCE during each time! I found out from my daughter that told me she was being taken outta class......Angry

THEN,

I was handed a 6 pg. questionnaire about my pregnancy, if the father was in the home, if I taken any drugs, if he's being abused Sleepy......then here's the kicker, they wanted to have him REPEAT the 1st grade simply because he wasn't verbal enough. I took both of my kids out of that school with the quickness and sent them elsewhere.

Today, my son is a normal, happy, healthy, young man with interest in Computer Graphics. He creates his own video games, does computer artwork, and is a writer. Some of these schools are so quick to label a black child and will find ways to do it.

Man....this happened to me personally.  I was quiet. Loved to read. Had an excellent report card but my teacher had issues with my being introverted. I mean..I had friends.  I interacted..I was just not one to put myself out there.  Teacher tried to bring down my whole average and suspend me n'sh*t. My mom took a day off work, went down to that school and raised the dead.  I just remember she started quiet then it got ugly.  smh.  I was moved to another class after that and that teacher had no prollems with me.  She liked that fact that I didn't cause her prollems and did my work.
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 9:07am
Shut up Aunty Ruckus!!

Anyway, the REALITY is, as a black man or woman you are born with a red dot on your back.
You are a target and the white wolf is salivating to taste your blood and gets pleasure from turning your burning mahogany soul as icy blue as his.

Prison is a trap that the white 'man' has set for us to fall into. And we DO fall in because it is the nature of the subconscious mind to run it's software on automatic. It is a beautiful thing to breath, and blink, and scratch an itch without thinking about it first, BUT when you're a target in this world, you HAVE to live life consciously, not subconsiously. You can't expect that things will be the way they should be when you are a target. You have to always remember that you are a target and so you have to keep your ears and eyes and nose wide open. Use your conscious mind all the time. Trust nothing government related because you are the government's target!

Inner city public school is a trap and so as a parent you much do a lot of enlightening at home with your child.
Private school recognizes you as a target and treats you as such...So you still have to do enlightening at home with your child. Any way you slice it, you as a black man, woman, and parent you have to know that you are a target and that traps have been set for you, then you have to act accordingly.

Did I say shut up Aunty Ruckus?

Edited by Derri - Nov 28 2013 at 9:22am
Derri View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 9:15am
There is an Afro-centric school here for young children and they teach real history. There are great black teachers and the children are thriving. It was a big stink when the school first opened several yrs back.

Yeah they always get mad when you decide to drop the ball and quit playing their game. But that's the way to end the their game. Stop playing. As a whole, that is what we as black people need to do. And all oppressed people. But that's another topic, albeit related.

Edited by Derri - Nov 28 2013 at 9:17am
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 9:38am
ITD and PrinterInk are both myopic with their viewpoints imo.  Personal responsibility is always important but these are not adults w/fully functional developed brains, but are children, which society generally tries to "protect" and which science tells us are immature, lack general impulse control, lack full reasoning skills etc.  Personal responsibility is great for a 21 year old, it is not great for a 10 year old. 

Yes children should follow rules but if the rules that they break are not egregious then suspensions and extreme measures aren't truly necessary.

I don't agree with the OP about comparing bringing a gun to school and a foodfight [especially bc of school fights] but talking about abortions [glad to see you're consistent no matter how rarely I log on PI] is moot bc the kids are already here.

I equate zero tolerance to mandatory maximum sentencing--anything that removes the human ability to apply facts to a situation, to understand the WHY, to take into consideration mitigating circumstances is not a wholly effective policy, particularly with children who tend to act based on circumstances outside of their control.

Edited by EPITOME - Nov 28 2013 at 10:44am
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2013 at 12:59pm
I got pissed off all over again talking to my nephew yesterday.  Him and his brother went to the same high school and he was talking about all the times he watched white kids get no consequences for doing outrageous sh*t.  Then his mother (who is Filipino) starting going off about how she went in the school and went berserk because they interrogated him about something that was stolen (by one of the yt kids as it turns out - shocking).  She told the principal she would bring holy hell down on the school if they ever questioned her son again w/o her permission.   Showed her little ass. 

I also remember them sending cops to her and my brother's house to try and pick up my daughter and talk to her about a cell phone that her friend actually DID steal.  My brother told them hell no you're not taking my niece anywhere but I would be more than happy to ask her if she saw her friend with that phone.  My brother is hood as fck and a big dude.  He wears a suit and tie everyday but still looks like he'd whoop your ass any second.  He works in the school system with troubled kids but they used to hate to see him coming at the schools in that mostly white district to talk about one of the kids.  He plays no games and no administrator double talk LOL

We all moved back into the inner city after all the kids graduated and just my 9yr old was there.  I'll never do that sh*t again.  I mean we all moved out there for the good schools but in the end we dealt with more bullsh*t and our kids all feel some type of way about the extremely obvious double-standards.  Its fckd up. 

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic