Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

School-to-Prison Pipeline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ImThatDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ImThatDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 9:07pm
Printer ink.. according to to what I've seen and read, celibacy is asking too much. Ermm

what you've said though is only part of the problem. Though. A lot of these kids lack home training and a parental figure that pushes them to strive for more in school. I mean, administration can only do so much when the parents don't care whether or not their kid graduates or gets in trouble. Learning to respect other and follow the rules starts at home.
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 10:22pm
I don't agree that homeschooling is the answer.  I think that out of the many parents who have entertained the idea, only a scant few understand what that entails. 
- Even if you homeschool your child, you STILL have to make sure they are meeting the minimum education standards set forth by the state, every year.
- Few parents can teach every subject, so parents who are deficient in language arts or math, for example, have to be able to find a tutor to teach their children these subjects.
- Some parents have told me that they never and their kids will never use the Pythagorean theorem in their lives in the real world.  Yes, the parent may not, but what if their child wants to become an architect?  A computer engineer?  Then that parent just deprived their child of a chance to prepare for their future.
- When I was a kid, my mom would have black history time set aside for me to learn about who I was because the school wouldn't teach it.  I would go so far as to open a cram school for black children to learn about their culture and history like a lot of other communities have.

"Zero Tolerance Policies" are a total joke that pretty much allows administration to be lazy and not actually deal with the root causes of the problems.  It absolves them of making tough decisions.  With all the rules kids have today, I don't think I would have survived school.  I also find it completely unnecessary for police to intervene in schools.  Police being there just allows for bad behavior to persist.

Ppp, the system IS to blame.  Even if the parent was trying to do the best the possibly could, a child in the inner city will NEVER receive the same education as a child from the suburbs.  The more money you invest in up-to-date materials and the best teachers, the better your school.  That's a fact. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:01pm
This thread might be the one to get me banned so I'll say what I want and dip.  OP is on point and I have experienced exactly what is described when my kids attended school districts that were over 95% white and the current city school where most of the doctors and professors associated with the university send their children.  

My son was suspended for 5 days from kindergarten.  KINDERGARTEN!  For roughly snatching his paper back from a little white girl who was teasing him and trying to look at his grade AFTER the teacher had already told her to stop bothering him.   As he grabbed for the paper he accidentally hit her face.   Even the teacher said she deserved it but the Principal and the Superintendent were far more swayed by the white tears against the big black brute 5yr old.  Yt kids in the school did far worse and on purpose and didn't even get sent to time out much less removed for 5 days and have to have a hearing to return. 

My daughter in the high school was accused of stealing because she was in the bathroom on a hall pass at the time two white girls robbing lockers were counting their bounty.   The white girls weren't even questioned, my daughter was suspended having none of the stolen property in hand.  She had just stared at the school and they assumed she was from the projects that border the district.  I had to raise holy hell in that school to let them know my daughter was an upper middle class black kid living in a better neighborhood than every teacher there.  I fckn hate them.   

Fck everybody who does get it to be honest.  
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:23pm
Say what you want, it's the truth.

I am back home in the DC area and I saw a story on the news a few weeks ago. Heroin use is back on the rise and is especially prevalent in one Montgomery County high school...the name of which I forget but it is 88% white. A student and unidentified teacher said that it is so prevalent that it's almost expected that students will use the drug on school property at some point. Remember, this is heroin.

I have a friend who is a vice principal in that area, and I asked her some questions. What actions are taken when students are caught? How is the school, and that school system, working to remove drug use and educate students on a drug-free lifestyle? What are the expulsion/suspension rates? So on and so forth.

I've been an educator for long enough to know the answers before even asking them. Of course the expulsion rates are astronomically low, despite the fact that children are using heroin on school property! They want their students to go onto college! They want to maintain a pristine public school record! They are actually concerned about the futures of the students who leave their halls.

On the flip side, I have been in predominantly Black and Latino public (and charter) schools for over three decades. Children have been expelled for a lot of things, from very major offenses to very minor offenses. Selling drugs on school grounds to setting off stink bombs. Bringing guns and other deadly weapons to class to being caught stealing a cheeseburger from the cafeteria. All of these kids deserve to be reprimanded, and arrested, but do they all really deserve to be reprimanded via expulsion? How bright of a future does a child have after being expelled?

Child I got comparisons for days but I got to help cook this damn Thanksgiving dinner
Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

This thread might be the one to get me banned so I'll say what I want and dip.  OP is on point and I have experienced exactly what is described when my kids attended school districts that were over 95% white and the current city school where most of the doctors and professors associated with the university send their children.  

My son was suspended for 5 days from kindergarten.  KINDERGARTEN!  For roughly snatching his paper back from a little white girl who was teasing him and trying to look at his grade AFTER the teacher had already told her to stop bothering him.   As he grabbed for the paper he accidentally hit her face.   Even the teacher said she deserved it but the Principal and the Superintendent were far more swayed by the white tears against the big black brute 5yr old.  Yt kids in the school did far worse and on purpose and didn't even get sent to time out much less removed for 5 days and have to have a hearing to return. 

My daughter in the high school was accused of stealing because she was in the bathroom on a hall pass at the time two white girls robbing lockers were counting their bounty.   The white girls weren't even questioned, my daughter was suspended having none of the stolen property in hand.  She had just stared at the school and they assumed she was from the projects that border the district.  I had to raise holy hell in that school to let them know my daughter was an upper middle class black kid living in a better neighborhood than every teacher there.  I fckn hate them.   

Fck everybody who does get it to be honest.  

When my son was in the 1st grade, he was a very quiet, shy little boy, but very smart and LOVES math. He wouldn't say much other than shake his head yes or no to questions being asked. He'd do whatever work/homework that was required.....shouldn't be a problem, right?

Well, the teacher (yt) had a problem with that, telling me "he's too quiet for his age and "he always plays by himself" and the school took it upon themselves to send him to a counselor, without my knowledge, took my daughter who was attending the same school and was in the 2nd grade, out of her class for an hour and put around her brother during his class time to see if he'd talk.....again without my knowledge....I wasn't consulted NOT ONCE during each time! I found out from my daughter that told me she was being taken outta class......Angry

THEN,

I was handed a 6 pg. questionnaire about my pregnancy, if the father was in the home, if I taken any drugs, if he's being abused Sleepy......then here's the kicker, they wanted to have him REPEAT the 1st grade simply because he wasn't verbal enough. I took both of my kids out of that school with the quickness and sent them elsewhere.

Today, my son is a normal, happy, healthy, young man with interest in Computer Graphics. He creates his own video games, does computer artwork, and is a writer. Some of these schools are so quick to label a black child and will find ways to do it.
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:51pm
Im really passionate about this so let's see if I can put my thoughts into words.

I've worked in a predominantly black high school (and middle school). I would hate to see ANY of my kids go through the prison system. Why? Because prison isn't meant to rehab these kids. Prison is a for profit system. The more people in prison, the more money the government makes. From the owners of the prison donating to certain campaigns if that politician can ensure more are in prison, to the work they make the prisoners do for .10 an hour. This is what the Prison Industrial Complex is. It's all about money. They say this work is meant to help people get a job when they get out. But the lack of decent rehabbing programs, programs that have been proven to be effective in decreasing the likelyhood of returning, suggests otherwise. Non-violent "offenders" can't get jobs, can't find a place to live, don't have any support, and end up going through the system again. Not to mention, they get worse sentences for the same crime, and have a higher false conviction rate. And what kills me, and some people are passive about this. They don't care that this is happening so someone can sip $1000 wine and vacation to their villa in France. How can you lack so much empathy? 

And what's even more sad for me personally, is that I can see it coming from a mile away with certain students. I had this one student who had just come to America from Jamaica. He was 16 in the 9th grade because he was so behind. He couldn't even count.. didn't know the difference between plus and equals. My concern wasn't teaching him algebra: I really wanted to teach him how to count money. He needed to learn the basics at the very least. I feel he could pick up a trade like electrical work or plumbing and live comfortably.

His parents were still in Jamaica, and any time we'd talk to his grandmother she'd get mad at him for not understanding. She refused to let us put him in ESL or Special ed, which he could have really benefited from. Despite his struggles in school, he was just the sweetest little thing to me. Very polite and very grateful for anyone who was patient enough to sit down and help him. He had his flaws of course: he smoked a bit and he got very frustrated at the material especially when we wouldn't sit down and walk him through it. And when he got frustrated he lashed out in a way that could possibly get him in jail. He NEVER EVER hurt anyone, but any teacher that didn't understand a Black kid and their relation to the PIC could call the police and any hope for his future would be gone. For what?

And it could happen to any little black kid. Whether they did it or not. It doesn't matter because the lower income black people that are targeted can't afford a decent lawyer and can't buy a chance. At the same time, little Connor is just "being a kid" but he could never do anything bad.Stern Smile Ughh this makes me mad.Angry Sorry for the rant. Im gonna help these kids mane.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2013 at 11:59pm
two pages in and i already wanna slap a few people
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 12:01am
If people don't want to believe personal accounts of inequality fine but there are plenty of statistics and studies that can corroborate what you ladies are discussing.
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

If people don't want to believe personal accounts of inequality fine but there are plenty of statistics and studies that can corroborate what you ladies are discussing.
its always YOUR fault,

dont you get it?

some of these people will get a rude awakening in due time
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2013 at 12:11am
lol Afro.

I have a story about a Black foster child in second grade who is in school but the school wanted to boot him because they don't want to provide him with adequate services to help him thrive (mind you it is federally required by law). He was in an abusive home and was angry he was removed from home. After getting in trouble, he threatened to blow up the school and they want to press charges against him (once again, he's 8) and expel him. Press criminal charges against an 8 y/o! It took a visit from the county lawyer and social workers to get them to change their tune.

But hey, it's all his fault.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System