Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Travel
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scared, Nervous, Excited... Solo Trip to JAMAICA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Scared, Nervous, Excited... Solo Trip to JAMAICA

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
whittywhit0678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whittywhit0678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scared, Nervous, Excited... Solo Trip to JAMAICA
    Posted: May 28 2013 at 5:01pm

Hello all... Im pretty sure this question has been asked several times already, but I just wanted to get some input from others who have been in my situation. I am 25 years old and planning my very first solo trip to Jamaica for this August. I will be celebrating my pre-graduation-graduation from my doctorate program. I think I have decided on Ocho Rios. I will be staying 6-7 nights at an AI. Does anyone have any suggestions and or do's/dont's for me? I am looking for some brand new experiences such as parasailing, scuba diving, deep sea fishing, and other water sports. I also want to do some local shopping and other excursion activities.

**P.S. Im looking for a REALLY nice room and really good food while im there as well.

Sponsored Links

khivey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote khivey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 10:45pm
I've traveled to many places solo, however, I know there are some places I wouldn't go alone. I think you would be okay in Jamaica if you stay within the resorts..maybe tag-a-long with a group to travel out and about.  
cutie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 8:44am
I wish i were brave enough to travel solo.  I love to travel but my problem is not having friends who can afford to go with me. so i feel stuck.  let me know how it goes, i may consider doing an all-inclusive resort solo so i can get some peace! just be careful!!!
KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 7:15pm
Really, you dont want to share the experience with someone elseQuestion I cant imagine doing that but you live and you learn. 
whittywhit0678 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whittywhit0678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 8:02pm
Not sure what you mean by "you live and you learn", but to h honest its not about wanting anyone to go with me. I do not have anyone in my life that is a position to go at this time... Besides that I am tired of waiting to find someone to go with me. I am in a position to go financially so why not?
KhadiNiaomi View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KhadiNiaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 12 2013 at 1:37pm
I mean like once you experience you would be able to learn whether or not if thats for u or not. But I understand, I guess it'll be like shopping by urself or anything with doing something urself. I use to want ppl to come with me to shop, then once I went by self, I realized it doesnt make a difference whether my friend comes or not. 
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 11:58am
OP I plan on taking the same solo trip you are taking. What is the total cost of your trip?
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2013 at 7:57am
Hmm Ochi, Haven't visited in YEARS. Drive through yes but to actually stop and visit no. If it was Negril I could help much more. I'm gonna do a search for a post I made about Negril.

Dont be alarmed at the driving too much nor the goats dogs cattle mongeese or chickens that make use of the road too, frankly they know how to cross roads better than the humans.

Where are you staying?

Get a phone either buy one at home, rent one or buy one in Jamaica. Make sure its a GSM unlocked phone if you are bringing one from home, head into the nearest LIME or DIgicel dealerstore and purchase a SIM card OR you can buy a cheap phone plus SIM card at the said stores. Some tour companies, private drivers and accommodations will allow you to rent phones for cheap but it would probably be cheaper the first two ways. Plus Im sure they'll be calls asking for D!ck and Mary Jane from Iowa, all hours of the night. Phone cards are available everywhere.

The trip advisor Jamaica froum goes hard but the Negril forum is guerilla

There's herb if you are into it but please be advised that like everywhere in the world possession of marijuana, past a certain amount is illegal. They wont trouble you but you never know. See locked up abroad Jamaica Lol

Convert your money at cambios, best rates but save ones and fives in your currency for tips and to grease palms. If you buy something in your currency you will receive Jamaican as change no ifs ands or buts about it

You can rent a private car for the day for sight seeing, day trips or you can go with other tourists on a bus. Skip the ones and the rates posted at the hotel (esp. if you are at an AI), go down to the gate you will find prices are much cheaper and you can haggle. This is where having a cell phone is necessary. [to reach your preferred driver if  you find one]

If you build a good rapport with a particular route taxi driver, you can always call him to take you wherever you want on the route, or otherwise as the case may be.

Jetskis and watercraft operators move up and down the water once again HAGGLE and FLIRT.

Ask the hotel workers about anything and everything. Especially the maids.

You can drink water straight from the tap.

Dont go off with random dudes. If you intend on having or happen to have relations with a dread or baldhead do not give them negroes a dime, pretend to be interested and tell them you will send money back to them when you reach home. You can buy food, one or two beers, or not. They will still smash, hoping that you will be addicted to the dack. Dont let them tell you they dont perform oral sex, they do. Demand it. Dont tell people where you are staying (esp if it non-AI) or your room number.

Hotel workers sell and give away sex, yes i said it. So you may not have to look to the beach or the bars outside for that. Hell some of the other visitors to your hotel are looking for that too, beware of creepy white men looking to carry out some jungle fever ish.

Download and print the map of Ochi.

This was posted by Xmaycana  in the same thread 

Ask the hotel to recommend a local guide to take you around.  There are lots of other water falls which are spectacular.  We usually  have one guys who picks us up at the airport and is our driver for the rest of the trip.  On the way from the airport ask the driver to stop at Juicee Patties in Montego Bay and start your trip with a patty and a Ting-  Don't forget to offer the driver one and if he has kids offer to buy some thing for him to take home.

As a tourist it's important to be generous but still respectful to locals.  It is expected to haggle, but important to do it in a joking manner.  Jamaicans rely on tourist dollars but they are an incredibly proud people and take great offense to perceived disrespect.

On last thing- The men on Negril beach can be annoyingly peristent-I'm not sure if you are going with a male partner, but a female on her own for even five minutes will be approached. I think this is largely because of the myth that all foreign women are there for some of the " big bamboo"

Edited by Diane (35) - Aug 29 2013 at 8:24am
melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2013 at 10:59am
Hi, I know this is a bit late but I went to Jamaica alone 2 years ago and I had so much fun. But you have to be careful like anywhere you go . Don't do anything in Jamaica that you would do in your home town.
Also if your doing any excursions book with a reputable company , not with a random dude or if your going to a club or party I think you should go with someone either with a group or someone at the resort .You will be fine in Jamaica, if you do your research its the norm for a lot of women to travel alone there.

Edited by melly - Oct 06 2013 at 11:10am
vida View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2013 at 10:23am

I went to Jamaica in April it was beautiful I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Montego Bay...Im a pescatarian so I lived off of snapper and rice and peas, shrimp and other great dishes...the seafood was so fresh I've been craving snapper ever since...I will say they preferred american money, so no need to convert--we ended up still having some Jamaican money left over....make sure to try and book all tours and things of that nature through your hotel they should have a conciere service that sets things up for you....cab rides are costly but he gas is over 6 bucks a gallon in Jamaica so thats to be expected...and have fun it was an amazing experience for me

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic