Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SC Removes Evolution from Science Standards

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SC Removes Evolution from Science Standards
    Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 6:56pm

Committee approves new science standards for students, evolution clause on hold

• Cynthia Roldan
  • Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 6:16 p.m., Updated: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:43 p.m.

COLUMBIA - An education committee approved new science standards for students except for one clause: the one that involves the use of the phrase "natural selection."

Clause in question

"Conceptual Understanding: Biological evolution occurs primarily when natural selection acts on the genetic variation in a population and changes the distribution of traits in that population over multiple generations.

Performance Indicators: Students who can demonstrate this understanding can:

Analyze and interpret data, using the principles of natural selection, to make predictions about the long term biological changes that occur within two populations of the same species that become geographically isolated from one another.

From page 79 of the South Carolina Academic Standards and Performance Indicators for Science

The South Carolina Education Oversight Committee met Monday to review and approve the new set of science standards that the Department of Education will begin implementing by the fall of 2014 for students. Sen. Mike Fair, R-Greenville, argued against teaching natural selection as fact, when he believes there are other theories students deserve to learn.

"Natural selection is a direct reference to Darwinism," Fair said after the meeting. "And the implication of Darwinism. is that it is start to finish."

Fair argued South Carolina's students are learning the philosophy of natural selection but teachers are not calling it such. He said the best way for students to learn is for the schools to teach the controversy.

"To teach that natural selection is the answer to origins is wrong," Fair said. "I don't have a problem with teaching theories. I don't think it should be taught as fact."

Ultimately, the committee approved all measures except that clause, which now gets sent back to the committee level for review. State Superintendent of Education Mick Zais said after the meeting he was not surprised by the debate that took place.

"This has been going on here in South Carolina for a long a time," Zais said. "We ought to teach both sides and let students draw their own conclusions."

Meanwhile, a debate taken up by an advocacy group against the use of the word "critically" when it comes to the standards of natural selection and climate change was largely ignored. College of Charleston biology professor Robert Dillon said in a previous interview the use of "critically" on two pages of the entire packet means more than it appears.

"They're trying to make evolution appear controversial, they're trying to make it somehow different," said Dillon previously. "Well, it is controversial, but the controversy is political or religious, it's not scientific. It's this richly symbolic situation."

Dillon asked in January to have the word "critically" added to the other 129 "analyze" clauses in the packet to avoid singling out climate change and evolution. The package approved on Monday did not take his request into consideration. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

During the meeting, there was also debate on how quickly the new standards will be fully implemented. Briana Timmerman, director of the Office of Instructional Practices and Evaluations for the state's department of education, said implementing standards is a stressful process for teachers, who have to find ways to transition into the new requirements.

Teachers will likely take on aspects of the new standards during the next year and will likely be fully teaching the newer standards by the deadline, which is 2016-17, she said.

"They (teachers) will want to start improving their knowledge in those areas," Timmerman said during the meeting. "That gives the teachers time to transition in a much more meaningful way."

http://www.postandcourier.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140210/PC1603/140219927/1005/state-committee-approves-new-science-standards-for-students

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmvl2LfL1Os

more:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/12/mike-fair-evolution-science-standards_n_4774914.html
Sponsored Links

slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slayfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:08pm
I hate this state and everyone who runs it.
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:13pm
wtf
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Thoughts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:16pm
Then they should teach "science" from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

Edited by Random Thoughts - Feb 12 2014 at 8:18pm
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:16pm
Ignorance truly is bliss.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 8:17pm
Bill Nye is face palming somewhere.

Imma need certain folk to do better.Ermm
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 1:25am
That state is sure not evolving.
Meme0887 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meme0887 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 1:40am
That's just stupid

Those poor kids
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 9:20am
I can't believe "educators" are re-hashing this issue in 2014.   If this keeps going America is going to be even more of a joke that it is now.  
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 9:57am
This is why I'm packing my bags and have children in another nation that RESPECTS EDUCATION!!! Why would I want my child subjugated to this bullfoonery? I'm lucky I had a interest in science and my mother pushed me towards it. Otherwise, I would be believing in all types of fairy tales and crap.

If Evolution is a theory so is the heliocentric theory, so is the cellular theory, Germ theory, but you don't see no one fighting against that. Long time ago demons were told to cause sickness but we know it's germs and viruses. We are not ignorant of causes and illnesses. So why should we be for natural selection when it's considered fact not everyday theoritical fragmented bullcrap.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply