FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSakia Gunn: When Intolerance Breeds Murder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
bLakivist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 9:22pm
Thanks hennypenny for sharing this with the forum.  I am grateful to the interest this piece has generated.

I thought I'd offer a response to a couple of things I saw.

@Lena: Unfortunately McCullough was only sentenced to 20 years.

@Dehinds: The amount her race played into the lack of media coverage is a point that I've made to folks with whom I've discussed this story...that among other things.

@YourLeoQueen: It is a legitimate question.  But as someone who was a teen not too long ago, it's not all that uncommon for teens to be out that late when their parents know they are with a group.  At least, that was my experience.

Her mother, in fact, was aware that she was traveling to the city to hang out.  Further, in reports I've read about LaTona Gunn (her mother), she regretted that her daughter didn't have some place closer to hang out at, but without worrying that she might be susceptible to violence. 

Given that context, perhaps another question could be asked as well. For instance: "Why should a teen have to travel from Newark to Manhattan in order to feel safe and comfortable being herself rather than in her own community?"

Just putting my two cents in the plate.
Paz,
Krys

Sponsored Links

TexasPearl22 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 9:40pm
Confused only a 20 yr sent.
TransitAngst View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 9:41pm
I remember hearing about this. I used to turn guys down by saying that I was gay, but since hearing about this I stopped. It's truly a sick world.
hennypenny View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 9:53pm
Wow, welcome to the board Blakivist! I knew one of these days, one of the people that I jack  articles from would come looking for meLOL
Just kidding!

I loved that article and I thank you for writing it. I look forward to reading more of your writing so I will be checking out your blog.

You ask a legitimate question as well blakivist.  No one should have to go outside of their community to feel safe to be themselves.

I definitely feel you on people selectively claiming their gay relatives.  Some people seem to say its OK to be gay,just don't"act like it". 

No question in my mind that her race had something to do with how Sakia's case was covered. Its something that we talk about frequently here, the lack of coverage when it comes to murdered/missing black women.

bLakivist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 10:15pm
@TexasPearl: Isn't that a shame?!
@TransitAngst: A sick world indeed.

Thanks hennypenny.  I'm glad to join in on the discussion, especially since people are actually discussing.  So... you make a habit of "article jackin'" huh? LOL

I agree with you on the race front.  I also think that black folks in general tend to garner much less attention in the media.  Women are often victimized, but our conscience can't forget the black men (gay and straight) whose lives don't keep the same level of interest that others do (i.e., Sean Bell, Simmie Williams Jr.)

It's just a lot of mess.  Arrgh.

Edited by bLakivist - Jun 02 2008 at 10:15pm
Clueless77 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 10:25pm
I am too glad that you wrote and shared this sad article with us as well. bLakivist, I hope that you stay on this forum and give us your insight.
soxgirl119 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 10:29pm
wow how sad
I heard about the rashawn story on amv though....so senseless
bLakivist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 10:52pm
I'd be glad to.  Are you all a part of the larger forum or do you tend toward the Talk, Talk and More Talk section?
hennypenny View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2008 at 10:59pm
Yes  we are all a part of the larger forum although some of us are probably addicted to TTT more than the other parts of the board but we float around in the other sections as well. 
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic