Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Hair ViVi

Author
Tangie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAA: Silk Amino Acids
    Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 12:23pm
This thread is for LadyCC. So, you wanna talk about SAA, huh? Well, teach me. I've been wanting to try it for some time but I honestly haven't actually done much research on it and have no idea how to incorporate into my regimen or what are even the real benefits. I just know people say it is good for your hair.

So, for those who are using SAA? How do you use and what are the benefits?

Please and thank you!
Sponsored Links

blackarosoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 2:12pm
What is SSA?
blackarosoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by blackarosoe blackarosoe wrote:

What is SSA?

Sorry saw it but i really want to know what it is.
love_akihsoy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 2:26pm
^^^I believe it's a form of protein (???) I'm curious too.

**pulls out lawn chair**

**waits**
Tangie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 2:30pm
SAA is Silk Amino Acids. I believe it is a form of protein but don't know much about it. I'll do some research on it later. I know I have seen it in some of my products but apparently some ladies are buying it and adding it to some of their products, I believe.
LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Tangie Tangie wrote:

This thread is for LadyCC. So, you wanna talk about SAA, huh? Well, teach me. I've been wanting to try it for some time but I honestly haven't actually done much research on it and have no idea how to incorporate into my regimen or what are even the real benefits. I just know people say it is good for your hair.

So, for those who are using SAA? How do you use and what are the benefits?

Please and thank you!

Tangie!! Heart Big smile

SAA is a silk protein that strengthens while making the hair soft and silky.  It helps the hair detangle easily as well.  No need to worry about protein overload with this cuz its a protein that helps the hair retain moisture.  It creates a barrier on the hair and creates shine when the hair is dried.

Some folks add it to their mascara to retain lashes but I add it to deep conditioners and leave ins to retain length.  I rarely wear mascara. Confused  But I hear it works and helps lashes to grow nice and long ** flutters lashes **

I don't know if the proper way to mix is to just add it to a new bottle or jar of product but I do mine with each use cuz I also use WGO (Wheat germ Oil) and I like to switch things up.

Don't over do it as the quantity should be 2% of the total product so if you are adding it to an 8oz jar you would add .16 ounce or 1 teaspoon.   I have a dropper and I add 3-4 drops of SAA and EVOO to my deep conditioner, mix, then apply or 2 drops to my cream leave in then apply.  I don't add it to conditioners that already have SAA in them like the old ORS Replenishing. 

I get mine from Lotionscrafters.   You can get the smaller bottle cuz it lasts a long time. Smile

Hope folks don't think of this as a bandwagon.  There is always room to incorporate new things if your interested even when you have mastered your regimen.  I am currently looking into the black tea rinses everyone is talking about which I think is for preventing shedding. I use Alter Ego and garlic supplements which seem to work for me but I am always open to new things.

As you all know I am a big ceramides believer and SAA is also right up there for retaining length.  I can only offer myself as exhibit A. Big smile

Hope this helps.
EbonyCPrincess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 2:59pm
Well from what I know (background in science and medicine) - proteins are made up of individual amino acids and since hair is majority protein, amino acids are a way of adding tensile strength to your strands.  Someone said it is gentler than doing a protein treatment because you cannot "overdose" on them and does not require following with a separate moisturizing conditioner necessarily.  I've heard it is also good for those who are protein sensitive.  Traycee from KISS did a video and has a few blogs on how she adds it to her conditioners and glycerin spritz's. 

What is confusing me is what makes an amino acid SILK? 

I am seriously considering adding it to my regimen, but Traycee, as much as I love her, tries way too many things for not a long enough period for me to go off that alone.  Usually what works for her does actually work for me, but I can't go off of someone doing it for like a month then being "over" it.  I want to hear from someone who has benefited from long term use!

LadyCC View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by EbonyCPrincess EbonyCPrincess wrote:

Well from what I know (background in science and medicine) - proteins are made up of individual amino acids and since hair is majority protein, amino acids are a way of adding tensile strength to your strands.  Someone said it is gentler than doing a protein treatment because you cannot "overdose" on them and does not require following with a separate moisturizing conditioner necessarily.  I've heard it is also good for those who are protein sensitive.  Traycee from KISS did a video and has a few blogs on how she adds it to her conditioners and glycerin spritz's. 

What is confusing me is what makes an amino acid SILK? 

I am seriously considering adding it to my regimen, but Traycee, as much as I love her, tries way too many things for not a long enough period for me to go off that alone.  Usually what works for her does actually work for me, but I can't go off of someone doing it for like a month then being "over" it.  I want to hear from someone who has benefited from long term use!

Ebony, you have broken SAA down very nicely.  No protein overload and is great for those who are protein sensitive.

I have been using SAA for about 5-6 months now.
EbonyCPrincess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 4:03pm
Great LadyCC, you're just who I needed to hear from!  What differences have you noticed in your hair?  Were you having a problem prior to trying them that the SAAs corrected?  Is there a part of your regimen (i.e. detangling, or daily moisturizing) that you have had to do less or has become easier as a result of you using them? 

TIA!
Tangie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 4:05pm
Uhm hmmm. See, you about to start something because ever since I have started using ceramides regularly I have noticed a huge difference and how it behaves.

Ebony, thank you for that explanation. It's funny. I watched (some) of Traycee's SAA vid too and I stopped after a minute or two for just the same reason. She doesn't stick with anything.

How much does it cost? Oh, never mind. I'll check out the site right now.
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic