Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

??'s for the professional/experienced braiders

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
kikiboom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kikiboom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ??'s for the professional/experienced braiders
    Posted: May 08 2014 at 3:34pm
I am 99% going to pursue hair braiding on the side this upcoming fall (after I save up and buy a car so I can get to my clients).

After landing a job in which the manager politely suggested that I may have to pull my fro back if it got any longer/bigger (which I didn't get mad at, btw. I just moved to Georgia and my hair seriously has a mind of its own, and I was planning to get my hair braided for the summer anyway to avoid my everlasting battle with humidity), I tried installing faux locs in myself and I did an AWESOME job. I get sooooooo many daily inquiries about them that I convinced myself to use my newfound skill to earn some extra cash flow.

I wanted to ask anyone who is willing to share some advice a few (which will actually end up probably being several) questions.

1) I was thinking about the styles I would offer: faux locs, havana twists, senegalese twists, micro braids, kinky twists, cornrow styles, and re-twist and style locs. (How does this sound? Any other suggestions?)

2) I have a mannequin head from high school that I've been practicing on the last few weeks, but the hair is super silky, I'm having issues with slippage. I was going to get and "afro" haired mannequin but all the reviews are horrible and I figured if I could train my hands to master silky hair, I'll be a PRO by the time I have actual clients. (What do you ladies think?)

3) After buying all the hair I needed for my faux locs, I ended up spending quite a lot and I was pondering how much the girls at the braiding shop of anyone profited. (Are some of you such loyal customers to the beauty shops that you get discounts? Do you buy in SUPER bulk to get discounts? Do you include the price of the hair with the price of the styling?)

4) I would love to learn how to actual, natural locs but my cousin already rudely refused to be my guinea pig for practice. (How can I practice locs without an actual head of locs to use? Can I nap up some braiding hair on my mannequin? or is it an impossible pipe dream without the cooperation of someone else?)

5) Lastly, I'd love hear any suggestions for a new hair braider to become a GREAT hair braider! If I become lucrative enough, I'd quit my retail job and just braid braid braid when I'm not interning on film sets. (What hair braiding experiences have you had that were particularly enjoyable?)

Thank you thank you thank you for reading through my ridiculously long post and providing any wisdom! SmileLOLTongueHugHeart

--Kierra

Sponsored Links

misscapri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote misscapri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 11:30am
I'd suggest telling your clients to purchase their own hair and just charge for your service of braiding.
FearlessNik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 5:56pm
OP I would make sure I let clients know that you're a new braider and charge accordingly. Most times I don't mind new braiders doing my hair, but I wouldn't pay them the same.
DivaMelody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DivaMelody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 4:58pm
I agree with the above .  Believe it or not there are a lot of free youtube videos that help learn different styles.  I am self taught and purchased dvds for honing my skills .   It is best to practice to build up skill .   A mannekin head can be good because of the silky hair.  To make it rougher , you can braid it in tiny braids and apply a perm-there are instructions on how to make silky hair kinky in the weave section.   The trick with braiding is to do it in a way that there is no slippage and it may be a plus to try on silky hair first.  you will have clients that are natural and some that are permed.  Practice is really the key.  Shops figure the cost of hair into the overall cost of the service.  I tell my customers to bring their own hair and tell them suggested brands that I prefer to use.  Pricing should be cheaper than the shop but based on your skill.  As a new braider you cannot charge much until your skills are great.   From what you said you have only done yourself and are now planning on being a professional braider.  That's a huge jump.  
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 11:26am
most ask clients to bring there own hair, but if you do offer something special then u can included in your pricing
Goodluck!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style