Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roman Kinky Straight Review [Braid Pattern and Pics]
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Roman Kinky Straight Review [Braid Pattern and Pics]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Chinyesoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Chinyesoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman Kinky Straight Review [Braid Pattern and Pics]
    Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 1:35pm
Hey All, 

I promised to come here and review the hair I purchased from Roman in August. I've had it for almost 2.5 months, and wanted to share my experiences. It seems many are looking to purchase a coarse yaki/kinky straight texture (just check all the threads that have popped up across the board!) so I figured I'd share my experience so folks who are interested save their money and time. Please don't quote the pictures!!!

Specs: 1 14in weft, 1 16in weft, 1 14in closure of "Malaysian Kinky Straight" from Roman's stock hair. Purchased on the first friday in August, received it exactly one week later. 

Experience:

1. Immediately upon inspecting the hair, I noticed a smell of chemicals, but decided to wash it. Upon shampooing the wefts and conditioner, the hair no longer smelled, the kinks remained. I applied cantu sheer butter leave-in and allowed the wefts and closure to air dry and it dried super soft.

2. The next day, I bleached the knots of the closure using MissBossy's technique (it worked perfectly!). 

3. Made a u-part wig on a mesh weaving cap, cutting out space for the closure. 

4. Lightly flat ironed the wefts at 280 degrees and set using flex rods.

5. I had my hair braided, and the next morning sewed down the closure then sewed down the upart wig. 

Pros

• The hair is true to length
  • The wefts are thick and full. 2 bundles and one closure is more than enough for a full install.
  • The ends of the hair are straight in comparison to the kinky texture of the length. This actually turned out to be a positive because it held a curl longer than the length of the hair did. 

Cons

• The wefts are over processed and cuticles were not aligned. I specifically asked for this, however Roman did not deliver. I experienced extreme matting and tangling. I took the advice of board members and filled a paypal claim because I did not pay for poor quality. PayPal eventually ended up denying my claim, citing "Buyers Remorse" and said I wasn't entitled to any compensation. Throughout the entire dispute, Roman accused ME of processing the wefts (I still don't know how I would be able to do this -_-) and refused to accept the hair back. 
  • After I lost the dispute, I decided to bleach bath the hair to see if it would help. When soaking the hair in bleach, the water immediately turned brownish/black, and that strong chemical smell came back. That is how I know Roman and his team over processed the hair. I deep conditioned the hair, applied Cantu Leave in and allowed it to air dry.
  • This hair CANNOT handle any kind of heat. When I flat iron it (at 280 degrees max), the hair fuses together and matts. 
  • This hair began shedding on week 2.
  • The hair doesn't hold moisture and has no kind of body/movement. It is very stiff. I was never able to fully run my hands through the hair (see pictures below)
  • Not hair you want to wear in the Summer. I wore the wig for 4 weeks (removed the wig every weekend to wash my hair and deep condition the wig) and during the last part of wearing the hair we went through a heat wave. The ends of the hair dried up (despite using a leave it) and the ends which fell on my shoulder itched and felt as though it was scratching my skin. 
  • Roman's customer service is simply sub-par. He believes he will continue to get business and has long time customers, so when a customer raises a complaint he doesn't seem to want to work through an amicable solution for both parties. 

Pictures:

Weeks 1-2:

Braid pattern for thick, natural hair

Bleached closure:

Sewed down lace closure

Sewed down u-part around and through the lace closure. This helped keep the closure flat. 

First day! Looks and felt great, flat ironed and set with flexi rods.

End of week 1: tangled, matted and dry!

Washed and air dried in twists

Week 3:

After bleach bath and deep condition. Gave up using any heat on this hair. Started experimenting with twist outs, braid outs, etc. This is a twist out. I dampened the hair, applied cantu-leave in and flexi rods on the end. The hair felt soft and had a little movement, but the back was matted. This style lasts a maximum of 2 days, then I have to dampen, detangle and set again. A little too much work for a "straight" hair style!

Braid out:

Twist out (full, but really matted under there.)

Week 4:

Ready to take down for good. I ended up wearing this hair in a bun, to get the rough, scratchy ends off my shoulders and back.

Final Thoughts:

At the end of it all, I can honestly say I love what Kinky Straight hair is supposed to be. Unfortunately Roman's hair simply is not worth purchasing....ever. I paid around $228 and feel like I've gotten my money's worth for this style because it costs me $125 to straighten my natural hair, and each straightening session lasts 10 days max. 4 weeks = 2 straight hair visits to the salon.  However, when I look at it from a weave industry standpoint, I feel extremely cheated and mislead. I purchased a weave to also have options, and with the intention of it lasting beyond 4 weeks. I am disappointed that this hair did not last long, because KS weave is pretty much the only "straight" weave I can and should be wearing as a natural girl. The over processing of the wefts pretty much killed the hair for me. With that, I am interested in purchasing some more kinky straight or really coarse yaki hair. I have my eye on KinkyCurkyYaki and an AE vendor. I'm not sure which way I will go. Finally, this is KS that I love and am looking for that doesn't tangle and shed tremendously. (this KS on day one).

Edited by Chinyesoul - Oct 13 2013 at 10:23pm
Sponsored Links

corenybay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corenybay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 2:01pm

I hope your next experience with KS is better. I think I've had the best experiences with KS. I can never find good quality any thing else. I would try an AE vendor it's probably cheaper and I feel like they get it right most of the time. I have bought KS from 3 different vendors and they have been pretty good. 

ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 6:31pm
Lovely detailed review. Roman should be ashamed to send that type of quality but clearly that man doesn't care whatsoever.
beebeexx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote beebeexx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 9:14pm
i have the same hair installed right now. i bought mine earlier this year and my experience wasnt quite as bad as yours (handles heat fine/isnt stiff) but the hair is still DeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDeadDead. only reason im still able to wear it is because it's installed on a wig and i take it off and baby it as soon as i get in the house.
anyway all this says to me is that his quality is steadily declining. i almost bought more from him... so glad i found some sense.
if anyone is considering buying from him, please continue to do research. i havent seen a single positive review for him on here in many many months.

thebombdotkom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebombdotkom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 9:42pm
Yikes! I'm glad I didn't end up purchasing from him.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 10:02pm

Awful . Roman hair looks like horse and dog . Thanks for sharing .

choc_lover View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choc_lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 11:19pm
Aww, sorry you had a bad experience with him. Maybe you could try the new coarse yaki some members have posted about..
thanks for sharing!
beana3 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote beana3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2013 at 11:41pm
Thanks for sharing pics and writing a detailed review of both the hair and his customer service. You definitely made the best of it.
sweetkatia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetkatia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 10:16am
Oh wow, what a disappointment. I was considering ordering my kinky straight from him but saw too many bad reviews recently. This just reaffirmed my decision not to order. Thx again for your review!
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2013 at 5:38pm
smh
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic