BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Road to Financial Independence 500K

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 53>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 20 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 12:03am
Sorry I haven't been reading this thread!  Today I set up automatic deposits into one of my IRAs.  Also started researching on some no load mutal funds w/ Fidelity to shift some money into them.  Contemplating a major job change as well to increase earning potential...my retirement is coming up in less than 20 years so I need to get back on track.  The economy and birthing babies set us back some.
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 12:42am
Originally posted by talia talia wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

wow that is a lot.  hmm maybe i'll try to make lunch for the DH

These are some of the things we make on a Sunday to take to work the week long.  First I started cooking stuff, like steamed brussel sprouts, quinoa with black beans, and baked yam along with lean chicken breast....but that took too darn long. I'd be up at 7 am on a Sunday and done by 11 am....ummmm nope.  Then  I migrated to salads which now my SO wants as well, so I add chicken or fish and I can prepare 15 salads in less than 2 hours...they all stay in the fridge ready to go the each weekday morning, add a banana, some water, a protein bar, some almonds which I also prepackage and we are out the door. 

I do all my meal prep on Sundays that way I won't fail during the week, cuz I know after a hard day of work if I have to come home and fix dinner - which I also prep in advance and then fix my lunch.....ain't no way it's happening.....I'd rather swing by 7-11 and get an egg salad......hmmmm order me up a side of food poisoning...lol.  

My weeks are so repetitive...I can eat the same thing for a week and no get bored lol.

I do the SAME thing Taila! I couldn't imaging going back to cooking everyday and i'm single. I also prep my snacks as well. It makes getting out the door in the mornings so much easier....AND it helps with weightloss. The less I have to think about what im going to eat...the less likely i am to eat off my plan. 

When I cook chicken and sweet potatoes...i usually do it while im washing clothes and cleaning up so its double use of my time. Meal prep can seem like a hassle but its so worth in the end. 

Lawd, child we are thinking alike......I do the same thing.  I'm always multi-tasking must be my ADD/OCD....LOLDead  Why do just one thing when you can do two simultaneously....lol

On Cesar Chavez day we didn't have school, it was a Monday.....tell me I was not all tuned in to my novellas chopping my salad fixing at the table....LOLLOLLOLLOL  Novellas are my guilty pleasure, plus I get to hear Colllllllombian spanish, and it makes my heart happy.  My family came home, and they were like ooooooh nooooo, there she goes, now she'll be talking in Spanish to us for the 
next half hour.....*crickets*  My family no speaka-da-spanish...lol

I was just going to sneak in here and say that I do this exact same thing for my parents when I am home.  I make spaghetti sauce, beef stew and chowder and freeze them up before I go back to Japan.  I am going to start making a host of other meals to freeze.  They actually DO end up being cheaper than anything you can get out of a can or a jar and they are much more healthy for you.

I have also since discovered how to make a good cake from scratch and my home made desserts end up being far cheaper than anything I could get at the bakery in the store.  And again...if you learn how to cook for yourself, you'll know what you are putting into your body.
talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Sorry I haven't been reading this thread!  Today I set up automatic deposits into one of my IRAs.  Also started researching on some no load mutal funds w/ Fidelity to shift some money into them.  Contemplating a major job change as well to increase earning potential...my retirement is coming up in less than 20 years so I need to get back on track.  The economy and birthing babies set us back some.

I know the feeling.  I'm looking to maximize my money, after watching Frontline's "The Retirement Gamble" I switched a lot of my investments to those with very low fees.  When you think about fees as per a % of each $1,000 invested....it can amount to a lot of money folks who have 401K's and IRAs are giving to Wall Street over a period of time.  Some fees are ridiculous like 1.6% per $1,000 so if you have let's say $50K in a 401K - you wind up paying $800/yr multiply that out by 20 years one can wind up paying $16,000 just in fees.  So if the compounded interest is let's say 8% you are really only getting 6.4% on your investment.  

It's nuts......the little things they don't tell you.  I've looked around and index funds have a waaaaay lower expense fee....Fidelity and Vanguard for the win.  
talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

wow that is a lot.  hmm maybe i'll try to make lunch for the DH

These are some of the things we make on a Sunday to take to work the week long.  First I started cooking stuff, like steamed brussel sprouts, quinoa with black beans, and baked yam along with lean chicken breast....but that took too darn long. I'd be up at 7 am on a Sunday and done by 11 am....ummmm nope.  Then  I migrated to salads which now my SO wants as well, so I add chicken or fish and I can prepare 15 salads in less than 2 hours...they all stay in the fridge ready to go the each weekday morning, add a banana, some water, a protein bar, some almonds which I also prepackage and we are out the door. 

I do all my meal prep on Sundays that way I won't fail during the week, cuz I know after a hard day of work if I have to come home and fix dinner - which I also prep in advance and then fix my lunch.....ain't no way it's happening.....I'd rather swing by 7-11 and get an egg salad......hmmmm order me up a side of food poisoning...lol.  

My weeks are so repetitive...I can eat the same thing for a week and no get bored lol.

I do the SAME thing Taila! I couldn't imaging going back to cooking everyday and i'm single. I also prep my snacks as well. It makes getting out the door in the mornings so much easier....AND it helps with weightloss. The less I have to think about what im going to eat...the less likely i am to eat off my plan. 

When I cook chicken and sweet potatoes...i usually do it while im washing clothes and cleaning up so its double use of my time. Meal prep can seem like a hassle but its so worth in the end. 

Lawd, child we are thinking alike......I do the same thing.  I'm always multi-tasking must be my ADD/OCD....LOLDead  Why do just one thing when you can do two simultaneously....lol

On Cesar Chavez day we didn't have school, it was a Monday.....tell me I was not all tuned in to my novellas chopping my salad fixing at the table....LOLLOLLOLLOL  Novellas are my guilty pleasure, plus I get to hear Colllllllombian spanish, and it makes my heart happy.  My family came home, and they were like ooooooh nooooo, there she goes, now she'll be talking in Spanish to us for the 
next half hour.....*crickets*  My family no speaka-da-spanish...lol

I was just going to sneak in here and say that I do this exact same thing for my parents when I am home.  I make spaghetti sauce, beef stew and chowder and freeze them up before I go back to Japan.ClapClapClapClap  I am going to start making a host of other meals to freeze.  They actually DO end up being cheaper than anything you can get out of a can or a jar and they are much more healthy for you.

I have also since discovered how to make a good cake from scratch and my home made desserts end up being far cheaper than anything I could get at the bakery in the store.  And again...if you learn how to cook for yourself, you'll know what you are putting into your body.

Good for you girl!  I hate doing the chopping and the slicing/dicing and cooking, but in the long run I save some money.  I'm trying to keep my food shopping down to the things I will only prepare.  We don't buy any pre processed foods and very little packaged foods, except for the things like coffee, almond milk, creamer, things that you obviously can't make from scratch....

talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 2:03pm

what do u ladies do if/when you max out on your social security contributions for the year? do you invest it, 401k, emergency fund?

When I was corporate, I'd invest in our company's 401K simultaneously while being taxed for Social Security, when I'd max out usually around summer, then I would just increase the 401K deduct to add whatever would have been deducted for social security if I hadn't maxed out.  

Hope that makes sense.  
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 3:05pm
Have any of you taken any of Dave Ramsey's financial management courses? Thinking of ordering a few...

And I agree with entire lunch preparation. I keep up with my bills/costs, and know I have saved $1,000+ by packing my own lunch. Besides the fact that my food tastes better, it's a much healthier option.

Tthis isn't my pic - found it online - but this is exactly what I do. Weekly food prep.

talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Have any of you taken any of Dave Ramsey's financial management courses? Thinking of ordering a few...

And I agree with entire lunch preparation. I keep up with my bills/costs, and know I have saved $1,000+ by packing my own lunch. Besides the fact that my food tastes better, it's a much healthier option.

Tthis isn't my pic - found it online - but this is exactly what I do. Weekly food prep.

Purp - I haven't taken Dave Ramsey's courses but earlier on in the thread, GoodGirlGoneGr8 I think mentioned it, and she has some really good notes about what she wrote down.  I think
GoodM3 has also taken the Dave Ramsey's courses, she mentioned a couple of salient points
from what she's read/heard/taken.  

I just subscribed to his website.....though he isn't giving away any of it for freeLOL  

Lunch prep saves us over $4,000 a year for a family of 3.....I love it.  I can go for weeks without
spending any money during the week.  I use a transit pass to catch the train to work, bring my
lunch, and really at my elementary school where I teach there is nothing to buy.  
talia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 6:42pm
For Purpuliscious01  

I was googling Dave Ramsey's and came across another forum - Boglehead's .... it's finance and investing and there was a thread on Dave Ramsey, what some people thought of his Total Money 
Makeover.  Some posters agreed with his philosophy of paying off the smallest debt first and using the snowball technique....others thought that his approach to investing was a little behind the times. 

I know you mentioned that you didn't have any debt, you are also a member of the "cash is king"...as a way of paying for things. My philosophy if I don't have the cash, I'm not borrowing to pay for it....unless we are talking a major expense, i.e. house, car....and even then with a car I'd rather do cash.  I've only owned one new car in my lifetime and I'm currently on car 4, everything else I bought used.....I also keep them foreeeever.

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 7:51pm
I actually had to start preparing my own food and bringing my lunch last year.  We found out that the school lunches were contaminated with the Novovirus.  I didn't eat at school anymore after that...and it saved me about 2,000 yen (or $20) a week, just on lunch alone.
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 9:57pm
I've taken Dave Ramsey's financial peace course. Its a great program - I definitely learned alot. I went to the classes in person (he offers an online version as well)....i found it was very helpful on accountability by going to the classes each week.

Just a note- is its geared towards married couples so you if you're single you may feel a little left out depending on the instructors.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 53>