FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Reviewers Find More Errors If you're black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviewers Find More Errors If you're black
    Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 1:12am
Though we had blind-grading in law school. I suspected my legal writing professor had it out for me, lol!
I have a research and writing assignment due to a senior partner at work soon, and undoubtedly I'll be working on my own time to make sure it's bullet-proof! My Dad always told me I'd have to work twice as hard to get half as far!

STUDY: Reviewers Find More Errors In Your Writing If They Think You’re Black

black lawyers racism

A new study by Nextions reveals that reviewers of a legal brief were likely to find more errors once they learned that the author was Black.

Based on findings from a previous study that revealed supervising lawyers are more likely than not to perceive African-American writers as having subpar writing skills when compared to their Caucasian counterparts, the researchers attempted to confirm if they would unfairly evaluate legal writing by Black lawyers.

The results were most unsurprising.

Nextions drafted a research memo from a fake third-year lawyer that focused on the issue of trade secrets at Internet start-ups. The researchers purposefully added 22 errors of varying degrees in the memo. The same memo was then distributed to 60 law firm partners (53 returned them for the study) at 22 law firms. The only difference was that one half of the partners knew the author was Black and the other knew he or she was White.

nyu

However, when the partners reviewed the memos, the racism followed. The exact memo produced a score of 3.2/5.0 for the Black lawyer, but 4.1/5.0 for the White one. Here is some of the commentary the partners wrote:

Nextions study writers and racism

One law firm researchers worked with evaluated its African-American summer associates more harshly than their White counterparts, the study found. The complete study is here, but it reveals that America has a long way to go in its efforts to exercise racial equality.

Edited by trudawg - Apr 27 2014 at 1:12am
Sponsored Links

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 1:39am
Saw the graph on Tumblr lol

All I could do is laugh because it's clearly a defense mechanism for being called out as racist, ironically

If you prove the person your arguing is "less intelligent" by pointing out their grammatical errors, you can shut down their argument in their stupid little racist minds

All these studies--whites thinking Blacks feel less pain, whites being less empathetic, whites finding more grammatical errors-- just goes to show you that Whites don't have to be Klan members or descendants of slave owners to think like them
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 1:45am
I'm wasn't in law school but I'll never forget the look on my White college professor's face when he called us up to his desk to grab our papers. It was a complete look of disbelief as he said to me "Your paper was excellent" as he handed me my A paper lol

I'm sending this article to my sister, she graduates from law school in a few weeks and her final exam is tomorrow... though im sure she knows this already
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 2:05am

how will new blacks explain this?
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 2:21am
smh
Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 3:12am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

how will new blacks explain this?
Dead
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 3:21am
And this is how they live their lives.....

CONFIRMATION BIAS:

A mental shortcut – a bias – engaged by the brain that makes one actively seek information, interpretation and memory to only observe and absorb that which affirms established beliefs while missing data that contradicts established beliefs.

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 6:13am
Sigh, I bet these are the new "I don't see color" racists too.
trudawg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trudawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

And this is how they live their lives.....

CONFIRMATION BIAS:

A mental shortcut – a bias – engaged by the brain that makes one actively seek information, interpretation and memory to only observe and absorb that which affirms established beliefs while missing data that contradicts established beliefs.

That about sums it up!Thumbs Up
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2014 at 4:41pm
We new blacks will continually to work harder and harder until they realize racists notions are all fantasy and fallacies. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic